PDA

View Full Version : Print your own wall paper.....

JMugs
02-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Ok too much wine perhaps and off the topic of sublimation BUT if I get my paws on a wide format printer which I do not put over to sub inks, could I print wall paper for Mrs Janners (she's one of those photographers!) with images from her portfolio on. If so what would I print on? Any ideas?

Janners

Justin
02-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Yes, you can get plain wallpaper to print yourself. I knew of a company selling it at £95 sq/m. For a specific business/feature wall I can see the appeal.

JMugs
02-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Mrs Janners is giving me that look of "OOOHHHH YESSS" and therefore I now have a problem!

Janners

Paul
02-08-2013, 11:14 PM
and you calling it a problem?? :)
i love to convince my misses to get some wide format. iam half way there as we are photographers and my missus wants to print her own backgrounds so.... i hope we will get one soon :)

JMugs
02-08-2013, 11:18 PM
The problem Paul is I am after one for sublimation, now Mrs Janners wants one for photographic printing, and I am not that rich!

Found the paper supplier so done the easy bit.

Janners.

socialgiraffe
03-08-2013, 10:42 AM
I did see a release from Atech about a wide format set up that can host both sets of inks (dye sub and "normal"). This was advertised pre FESPA and I was going to have a butchers while I was there but did not get the time. It might be an option if you have an 8 colour wide format.

Might be worth you investigating

Atech are a wide format suppliers based in Welwyn Garden City. Not cheap but very good.

Andrew
03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
I know one of the epson 4000 series could run dual cmyk with 2 different ink set ups. Not sure if A2 is quite big enough though.

socialgiraffe
03-08-2013, 11:49 AM
The Atech system I know would fit a Roland as I have one and noted it from the sales blurb. I also noted it was a retro fit if needed.

s31teg
03-08-2013, 12:10 PM
I can print onto wall paper for you :)

pisquee
03-08-2013, 08:26 PM
If you want to run a printer as hybrid with pigment/dye in 4 channels, and dye-sub in the other 4 then I think MultiRIP is something you should have a look at.
We did background wallpapers for our tradeshow stands a couple of times on an A2 4000 stylus pro - looked good. Not of a marketable quality, but great for our own use.

JMugs
03-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Would look at a two dedicated printers, one for sub one for Mrs Janners photography.

smo
04-08-2013, 09:36 AM
For photo wallpaper you really need more than 4 colour setup. I've got some stuff here from a 12 colour Canon machine and its simply fantastic, for proper large format photo I wouldnt use anything less than 8 ink setup, preferrably 12.

JMugs
04-08-2013, 12:41 PM
For photo wallpaper you really need more than 4 colour setup. I've got some stuff here from a 12 colour Canon machine and its simply fantastic, for proper large format photo I wouldnt use anything less than 8 ink setup, preferrably 12.

OK so more homework to be done. It's fair to say I get very excited with things like this!

Janners.

pisquee
04-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Would look at a two dedicated printers, one for sub one for Mrs Janners photography.

Exactly what we did - one large format for sub, one large format for pigment (Although we have two on sub duty at the moment) I love sitting in the studio when we have all three churning stuff out at once!

JMugs
04-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Epson 7600 now purchased, 10-12 hours driving round trip to get it. Lots of epson ink, and some new cartridges, and half a roll of glossy paper. I'll run that out for Mrs Janners images, then switch that to sub. Then look at wider one for Mrs Janners, 44 inch by 50 inch images just look great!

Ohhh what have I got myself into!.......oh that'll be a lot of investment of money and time in a recession...gulp..fart....sigh.

Janners.

pisquee
04-08-2013, 10:56 PM
If you can set up or expand a business in a recession and survive, you'll be flying when we come out of it!
Welcome to wide-format club! :-)
If you're waiting to run the Epson inks out before switching, then you may as well buy the refill carts that you'll need for the sub ink ink from China. They'll take longer to arrive than buying in UK, but are about half the price, and the same as you'll buy locally anyways.

JMugs
05-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Cheers Tim