PDA

View Full Version : Do anyone have an Idiots Guide on how to use a vinyl plotter?

PersonalizedGiftz
03-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Go my set up and trying to fathom out out to use it.. surely it can't be that complicated!!! Do i put the paper shiny side up? Also the software im using keeps cutting a box around the text !!

thanks for any help that may be offered

I have a Redsail720c

tlworkwear
03-08-2013, 03:13 PM
What vinyl are you using? Is it sign vinyl or garment vinyl? The best way to check is to peel a tiny corner from the vinyl and the side that peels, that is the side you cut. Also if cutting garment vinyl then you would normally mirror your artwork so that when it comes to pressing it is the right way up.

What software are you using?

mrs maggot
03-08-2013, 03:13 PM
u-tube and also i think paul has made some guides, but depends on what software you are cutting with, a box around the text is normal and will make it easier to weed off the words, and you use that to cut around with scissors, otherwise how will you remove the section you have cut ??

PersonalizedGiftz
03-08-2013, 03:27 PM
The software is signblazer basic , I have just bought a few a4 sheets just to practice on then will buy some rolls. T-SHIRT POLY FLEX VINYL HEAT PRESS ON GARMENTS is what i have bought from one person, but it dosnt appear to be sticky. Hubby put it in shiny side up, i tried to peel it away and its just cut the clear film and not the coloured poly flex stuff. I have some other stuff coming from singmakingandsupplies which says it has a sticky backing

Earl Smith
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Vinyl ( not paper) goes in shiny side down. Shiny is the carrier.
Ive just done a search on Google and came up with this link.
http://www.hflaser.com/pdf/redsail%20cutting%20plotter.pdf

Plus there are plenty of videos on youtube.

You should find the answers there.

Best of luck

PersonalizedGiftz
03-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks, i was searching you tube last night but got rather frustrated about 1am!! Thank you :)

mrs maggot
03-08-2013, 10:45 PM
yep, the carrier sheet, has the vinyl on it, and as earl says it goes in shiny side down, the backing of the carrier is sticky, and the vinyl then gets "peeled" and is applied with that shiny side up, so the image you make must be mirrored

tlworkwear
04-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Just to note, not all vinyl has a sticky carrier, sports flex from xpres for example is not sticky and is designed for larger designs such as football names and numbers but a vinyl such as premium by target transfers has IMO a super sticky backing for fine details. Just something to consider when selecting vinyl.

Reg
04-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi I've just found this it may be of help in the future.