PDA

View Full Version : Epson 7600

JMugs
07-08-2013, 10:24 PM
WOW!
Just installed it, printed some images for Mrs Janners. Fanflippintastic!
Problem is Mrs Janners wants to keep it for photography. Doh!
Janners.

pisquee
08-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Get another for sub work!
:-)

If one fails, then at least you have a spare (once you swap the inks over)

logobear
08-08-2013, 01:08 AM
if you are running epson pigment inks, just USE IT ! - make sure you print something every week, ideally every day, don't think you can swap between pigment and sub, F***ing awesome machine!
I bought mine for about 5k at the same time I bought a minilab for 75k - made more money from the 7600 than the minilab over 7 years, ignoring the finance!
If you have the space, get 2 as suggested above

JMugs
08-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Buying another.......
It's like being at alcoholics anonymous sponsored by Stella with a free bar.
Mrs Janners has already asked what a 9000 series is.
Janners.

purpledragon
08-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Buying another.......
It's like being at alcoholics anonymous sponsored by Stella with a free bar.
Mrs Janners has already asked what a 9000 series is.
Janners.
just bought the 9890 waiting for the ink to turn up

pisquee
08-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't advise switching the ink sets as a regular thing, but if you have two, one set for pigment and the other for sublimation,and one fails, and you have a job you need to get done, you can switch them over to get the job done in an emergency kinda thing.
This would be a plus gone for then getting a 9600, as you then still have interchangeable refill carts and maintenance tank. You then just have to decide which is your pigment printer and which is the sublimation printer ... and how long it taks you to decide you want both the be 9600 so upgrade the 7600!

Stitch Up
08-08-2013, 10:18 AM
just bought the 9890 waiting for the ink to turn up

What rip you gonna use?

purpledragon
08-08-2013, 11:08 AM
What rip you gonna use?
good question for now im just using the profile as provided by sawgrass but i need to sort a rip out soon make life a lot easier

pisquee
08-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Look at getting a custom ICC profile rather than a generic ink manufacturer one

purpledragon
08-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Look at getting a custom ICC profile rather than a generic ink manufacturer one
looking at getting the ink to work would be a better start jeez i cant believe the luck im having recently installed the carts and its telling me the magenta isnt installed aghhhhhhhhhh

pisquee
08-08-2013, 09:24 PM
sometimes the refill carts don't fit properly - we shove a piece of folded card, or cut bits of silicone rubber sheet to squeeze underneath them, this raises them up enough and holds them in place for the cart chips to meet the card reader. Then turn the ink monitoring off on the printer, and never have to remove the carts to reset the chips.

AJLA
09-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Cracking machine Janners, had one for many years and it has worked its socks off producing canvases and enlargements. Have fun with it!

purpledragon
09-08-2013, 05:57 PM
sometimes the refill carts don't fit properly - we shove a piece of folded card, or cut bits of silicone rubber sheet to squeeze underneath them, this raises them up enough and holds them in place for the cart chips to meet the card reader. Then turn the ink monitoring off on the printer, and never have to remove the carts to reset the chips.
sawgrass sent a new cart out today all fitted and running great now

JMugs
09-08-2013, 06:37 PM
sawgrass sent a new cart out today all fitted and running great now

That moment of will it work? YES YES YES ..... and breathe.

Janners

logobear
09-08-2013, 09:27 PM
re 'what rip' - mine was stolen, used windows driver until the 2k insurance came through, decided to keep the 2k!
- we only used 1 media, but produced perfect salable results 100% of the time, depends how much work you are doing, if only a few prints a day and you are happy managing size & orientation from photoshop, who needs a rip, on the otherhand, if you use lots of different media, lots of prints of different sizes and multiple numbers, and you need to teach your saturday staff how to use it, a rip probably makes sence

purpledragon
10-08-2013, 10:26 AM
That moment of will it work? YES YES YES ..... and breathe.

Janners
i have to admit i needed help from steven at sawgrass who fair play took remote control of my computer and set it all up rather than me ask him constant questions one thing i did find out was that some versions (mine included) of pgotoshop cs3 dont like wide format printers mine tried printing a black shadow over my prints luckily i have another comp running cs2 so im using that instead

pisquee
10-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Which Sawgrass ink are you running in it - have you got Sublim to make it more economical to run?

purpledragon
10-08-2013, 01:06 PM
using sublijet iq pro photo what is sublim?

pisquee
10-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Sawgrass pro ink for wide format printers ... http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/industrial-division/sublim-ink

purpledragon
10-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Sawgrass will only support the printer if im using their sealed carts i did have a convo with them regarding using their ink in refillable carts and apparantly doing this would void their warranty on the printer to be honest the sales rep i spoke to was less than helpful regarding this and simply stated that epson heads have doubled in price what this has to do with using sawgrass ink i dont know. I do feel it unfair that i can buy a litre of sawgrass ink legally but my support would end unless i used their 3 times more expensive sealed carts . I dont know if sublim is available in carts for this machine i suspect not as one of the colours isnt mentioned ie light light black . Is it possible that only subli iq can be used without causing damage to print heads i find this difficult to believe. It does seem that as sawgrass cannot dictate what inks i can legally use as they do with small format they have found another way to overcharge for their inks. I did pose the question to the sales rep that isnt44inch considered wide format the answer she gave was ..... its a grey area...... it isnt a gery area either it is wide format or it isnt if its not wide format then sawgrass have that level of control over me however they dont have that level of control then logic dictates its considered wide format the only level of control they now have is the warranty for the printer. This may keep my custom for the next year whilst the warranty exisits but is not what you would consider building long term customer loyalty.

JMugs
10-08-2013, 09:10 PM
If that was Barbera, then I have also found her rather counter productive for Sawgrass. When I asked about the Epson 7600 her immediate statement was "We don't support it". Hmm sell the carts, and have a download for the ICC.
Interesting approach to sales.
The support guys are excellent.
Janners.

purpledragon
10-08-2013, 09:14 PM
If that was Barbera, then I have also found her rather counter productive for Sawgrass. When I asked about the Epson 7600 her immediate statement was "We don't support it". Hmm sell the carts, and have a download for the ICC.
Interesting approach to sales.
The support guys are excellent.
Janners.didnt catch her name so itd be unfair for me to commentin that respect but steve and dan (both support guys) have both extremely helpful to mein the past and steve especially has been a godsend recently

pisquee
10-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Sublim is from Sawgrass Industrial division, whereas Sublijet is their consumer division, so you may be speaking to the wrong dept if you want to use Sublim. I'd be surprised it there isn't warranty support from Sawgrass for Sublim though.

Paul
12-08-2013, 03:48 PM
To those who use it as sublimation printer, how do i convert it? It has photo black in it so what i put instead this one? Standard nlack? Or nothing at all???

pisquee
12-08-2013, 04:55 PM
9600/7600 have two black ink channels, which can be loaded as photo black and light black, matt black and light black, or both matt black. We use matt black and light black sublimation inks in ours. Obviously you need to buy the appropriate refill carts (or prefilled carts) for the mode you want to use.

ssp
28-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Ok, well I am going to buy a 7600 tomorrow fully serviced etc. so I need some info on where to buy subli ink for it, and a roll of texprint xp hr subli paper. Ii was going to buy a larger printer but for now this will do. Need to get on this as quick as possible.

Also average cost on full set of inks?

Thanks

pisquee
28-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Have a look at Coldenhove's JetCol papers - we use them, and get fantastic results, works out more economic than other brands.
http://www.listawoodtradesupplies.com/item.php?id=RC0307&parid=LTSPA&gid=ROLLS&pgnum=
Litres of wide format inks are around £80 a litre, with suppliers usually offering a discount for sets.

ssp
28-08-2013, 09:00 PM
where can i get the subli inks from pisquee?