PDA

View Full Version : Yolo v TMT v xpress v etc

Dave271069
13-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Hi having used most companies I'm tending to favour YOLO at the moment because when it comes to purchasing transfer papers they will sell you a packet of papers in 3's 10's and 100's where a lot of the other companies only sell in 100. At over £75 a throw buying in 10's is a perfect solution.
personally I'm finding YOLO,s papers very good indeed and after trying the new 2 paper no weed laser transfers I'm now converted.

Whats your opinion folks? Am I missing any other companies that sell good papers in reasonable quantities?

Dave

socialgiraffe
13-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi Dave

Are you using the DIGI TRANS from YOLO? My concern with that particular paper is the washing instructions "machine was cold and dry at low heat settings" We all know that customers never read washing instructions so I would be worried that it washes off. Have you found or tested this paper?

I would love to find a no weed paper for light garments that has a decent washing capability and durability but I do not think it is out there yet.

Dave271069
13-08-2013, 11:34 AM
http://www.yolo.co.uk/image-clip-laser-light-self-weeding-heat-transfer-paper-99-p.asp

this stuff, they sent me a sample, I did myself a tshirt which looks great but yes it needs a wash yet.

Dave271069
13-08-2013, 11:40 AM
But there does seem to be so many different types, I'm getting confused myself.:confused:

Justin
05-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Interested in keeping this thread going. I'm looking at the different Yolo papers to see which would work best for me and would like feedback.

Dave271069
05-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Recieved some samples from xpres today so will give them a go. Done a few vests for my son using ttc which I like very much.

socialgiraffe
05-09-2013, 11:28 PM
I did a wee job recently which was for 200 heat transfers to the back of some white garments. This particular job was for a one off day promotion for a high profile customer in London. I did the job last year and they complained about the square outline left by TMT laser transfer paper. Personally I thought it looked the nuts and was well above the standard I expect, but as we all know they do leave a residue behind even on the non printed areas.

So this year I told them that what they want is achievable but I can not guarantee the durability of the product. They did not seem to mind so I used Exactprint by Target. The finish of the item was superb, no residue or outline of the paper left and just the print was transferred. Unfortunately I used every single sheet for the job so was unable to get a sheet printed and in my washing machine.

I think I will be ordering more of this stuff as it does transfer nice but would be interested to see if anyone else has tried it and if so how does it hold up to washing.

Justin
05-09-2013, 11:51 PM
I'm looking into testing more of the inkjet papers, are these as good as the laser ones?

Got an order ready to go through for a new SunAngel system but really need A3 capability as well.

Justin
05-09-2013, 11:56 PM
I did a wee job recently which was for 200 heat transfers to the back of some white garments. This particular job was for a one off day promotion for a high profile customer in London. I did the job last year and they complained about the square outline left by TMT laser transfer paper. Personally I thought it looked the nuts and was well above the standard I expect, but as we all know they do leave a residue behind even on the non printed areas.

So this year I told them that what they want is achievable but I can not guarantee the durability of the product. They did not seem to mind so I used Exactprint by Target. The finish of the item was superb, no residue or outline of the paper left and just the print was transferred. Unfortunately I used every single sheet for the job so was unable to get a sheet printed and in my washing machine.

I think I will be ordering more of this stuff as it does transfer nice but would be interested to see if anyone else has tried it and if so how does it hold up to washing.

Just looking at videos on Exactprint, looks very good Simon. Is this just for lights though?

socialgiraffe
06-09-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm looking into testing more of the inkjet papers, are these as good as the laser ones?

No where near. I did a job that was 500 odd transfers and decided to purchase some cheap ink jet paper from ebay. very disappointing results and would never use it again.

Got an order ready to go through for a new SunAngel system but really need A3 capability as well.

I can give you a good price on some Soldark (from TMT) print and cut if you want. The transfers are slightly thicker than the WOW paper but still pretty thin. Am just thinking that it will give you time to asses your requirements. If you are like me, making decisions when you have orders siting there is not the best time to make them.

Just looking at videos on Exactprint, looks very good Simon. Is this just for lights though?

Yes, just for lights. The job I did was for white garments and also Sports Grey. It is by far the best finish in my opinion... but... the instructions are COLD wash only (as well as the standard no tumble dry and iron inside out) and I wonder how many of our customers would accept that. It's also worth noting that the process for exact print is longer, press for 30 seconds, wait 7 seconds and peel then press again for 30 seconds so any job you do could take upto three times longer than with TTC for example. Lastly, Exactprint only works with certain printers so you need to make sure you have one of their recommended models. I tried it in my 301 and it did not work at all. However it did work in my 711WT running through SpaceControl (to avoid laying down any white)

The exciting part about Exactprint is that it is getting there. And I am sure you remember the Dutch company at Fespa who had something similar, I have been trying to get some samples of this since Fespa so the company is not the best. But the fact that they are starting to roll it out can only mean good things. It would not surprise me if TMT are working on something similar, but as we know with them, the Germans will not release anything until it works very well so I would expect them to be working on something that is not just cold wash etc.

tlworkwear
06-09-2013, 01:47 PM
I just spoke to Target transfers today and asked about the exact print, their first question they asked was 'what printer did I have?'. When I said I had an Oki C5750 Magictouch one they immediately told me that it would not work with that printer as. to quote, 'we don't know what Magictouch do to their printers but it buggers it up for our papers!' Hahaha!

socialgiraffe
06-09-2013, 01:56 PM
'we don't know what Magictouch do to their printers but it buggers it up for our papers

They are correct, the magic touch slow some of their printers down to allow more time for fusing. Most target transfer paper works in the 510 models so it might be worth investing one of those as they are only about £160.00 plus VAT

bms
08-09-2013, 12:57 PM
I just spoke to Target transfers today and asked about the exact print, their first question they asked was 'what printer did I have?'. When I said I had an Oki C5750 Magictouch one they immediately told me that it would not work with that printer as. to quote, 'we don't know what Magictouch do to their printers but it buggers it up for our papers!' Hahaha!

We've used an Oki C5750 and an Oki C610 straight out of the box (not from TMT) and have printed TMT papers including CPM, TTC, OBM etc without any issues at all. There may be some modifications to the A3 machine but the A4 machines we've used have never had anything done to them.

socialgiraffe
08-09-2013, 06:24 PM
We've used an Oki C5750 and an Oki C610 straight out of the box (not from TMT) and have printed TMT papers including CPM, TTC, OBM etc without any issues at all. There may be some modifications to the A3 machine but the A4 machines we've used have never had anything done to them.

Ditto on my cheap OKI301. Really nice results on TTC

Justin
08-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Simon, you mentioned the laser transfers being better, I'm looking at Yolo papers in particular, I'm weighing up using my Epson 1500 or getting a new laser but need A3, what do you think print quality would be like on both?

socialgiraffe
08-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Not sure on the Epson to be honest as I do not have any Epsons. Having said that I used to have them and thought they were excellent. Presumably you would want an OKI which I personally have found are pretty good on colour.

Will YOLO send you some printed samples? I know that TMT and Target will.

I general the cheap laser printers have come a long way in terms of quality so I do not think you will have any issues with colour. It will be worth looking at what printers are suitable for various papers though.

As an example I have a OKI301 which is a nice little cheap machine, but I should have purchased the next model up (510 I think) as my 301 will not work with Target papers and so I have to use my 711. Fortunately this is not a problem as I have the TMT SPACE control software which saves toner.

Justin
08-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Pretty sure they could send samples. I can test the papers with my dye sub ink but would want to change over to pigment for the best washability.

The laser you mention are all A4? I see price jumps considerably for an A3 so maybe better to stick with inkjet, pretty sure this would be fine for what I need.

socialgiraffe
08-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Yes they are all A4.

Sometimes TMT gets reconditioned units in stock, might be worth giving them a call.

Would be interested to hear and see your results with ink jet transfers as I always understood that they are no where near as good.

Justin
08-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Getting some samples sent over from Yolo, I'll print them with normal dye inks and see how I get on before looking at the pigment option.

Not sure why the inkjet transfers wouldn't be as good, I'd expect a good quality inkjet printer to work fine for this?

socialgiraffe
08-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Its not so much the quality of the colours or image, it was the finish of the pressed item.

I used some about a year ago for a small order where budget was the absolute key issue. So I purchased the cheapest transfer paper I could find off ebay and printed through my Kodak using the cheapest ink carts I could find. The customer loved the final item but I think they were just happy because they got pretty much what they wanted within budget. Personally I felt that the imprint left behind by ink jet was not as nice (i.e. the visible impression on the non printed but within the A4 sheet areas). I appreciate that I was going cheap with everything so would not be surprised if there is better out there.

I also thought that ink jet prints are a lot more expensive so have stuck with laser because of this.

Am open minded on this so look forward to your results.

Justin
15-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Anyone currently printing transfers from Yolo on laser? Interested to hear which printer you're using.

Dave271069
15-09-2013, 04:56 PM
oki c610 ftom TMT,
i use a selection of papers, at present i find the TMT TTC Paper to be one of the best for light garments but yolo are doing some nice no weed papers and i fancy trying the one that prints white only onto garments...

Justin
15-09-2013, 05:04 PM
610 looks like a very good printer, seems a little expensive for an A4 option though? In wondering what the differences are between this and say a 301 for example?

Dave271069
15-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Not sure the difference, but to be honest im fairly new to the c610 myself and i find im not using it to its full potential. wish i spent the money towards a bn-20 but thats another story. The good thing about yolo is that they sell papers in packs of 10, where TMT sell in boxs of 100 which makes a big difference to the price when doing small runs.

logobear
16-09-2013, 01:22 AM
while I respect every sharing member of this community, I find this thread a bit of a challenge when members mince on about quality, while wanting the very cheapest (none optimised) printer, and buying paper in packs of 10.....
Sure, we all started doing low volume jobs, and now, I still avoid mega large jobs coz I don't like the diminished margins.... work more 4 less ...! - Doh !!
I suspect that the products
by TMT = TTC
By Yolo = ?
By Xpress (a company I just cannot like) = Forever = a great laser transfere alternative to ttc .....
All of them are capable of good results within their product limitations, the main issue if you buy in packs of 10 is that you never get to become an expert in using the product.
All laser papers are humidity sensitive, the moisture content effects their ability to take & hold static charge!
Smaller packs need even more careful humidity control, fresh stock, double wrapping in plastic, - that sort of stuff
PLUS
optimising the printer, setting it to the heaviest paper stock setting so the fuser is hottest and for the longest time..... (hence TMT 'special' settings - just set it to the heaviest card type!!)
THEN,
all the tricks of using the product, time, temp, pressure,
AND
knowing the humidity of your garments, - where are they stored, damp, or TOO DRY !
I have done laser T's for nearly 21 years now, and sublimation for maybe 5 years, .....on poly, sub is unsurpassed, it is brilliant, and fairly easy too.
laser is not difficult, but, it is harder, with a lot more variables than sub.
HENCE,
I feel that this thread is slightly irrelevant, .....
I suggest you work on your technique, not your product.
Find a supplier you like, and stick with them, Quiz their tec support about every aspect of product use. If your supplier doesn't have good tec product support, - change supplier.
Finally, try to buy is volume, that way, you will get a better price, and your supplier might take you seriously.....

PS - ALWAYS keep your failures, you can use them for more test prints, - and when they are washed and washed again, and full of test prints, you can use them to wash the car!

Dave271069
16-09-2013, 09:49 AM
It would be nice that some of the members on this forum could afford large packs of 100, but I'm guessing you will find Yolo most probably sell more smaller packs then large.. Like you said we all got to start somewhere and maybe in a few years after testing and making mistakes we will buy in volume.
the rest of your post logobear is very interesting to people like myself who are still in the learning game and don't know much how about laser printers work etc.

socialgiraffe
16-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Find a supplier you like, and stick with them, Quiz their tec support about every aspect of product use. If your supplier doesn't have good tec product support, - change supplier.

But if I did that then I would never have found out about Target Transfer's Exact Print. While not that durable, for one day promotions its better than the rest because it leaves no residue on the non print areas

the main issue if you buy in packs of 10 is that you never get to become an expert in using the product.

Not sure I follow mate, some people prefer to buy in packs of ten because of cash flow, especially if you are just starting out. Buying in boxes of 100 does not qualify someone to be an expert. You will still press the same amount of garments, they will simply cost more because of purchasing in low quantity.

I still avoid mega large jobs coz I don't like the diminished margins

I'm the opposite, yes the margins are less but the profit is more because you have done more, in my business anyway.

Its always good to see reviews on the various types of papers out there, even if they are not as good as my current supplier (TMT). As an example, I quoted on 3000 cotton shoppers the other day. Now, I know I can get TMT for 30p a sheet. But if there was a paper out there for 25p for example I would save £150.00 which would go in my pocket. I use the tote bags example because colour and washability is not as critical due to the fact that the bags are an off yellow colour and people do not wash them. If I were to quote for 3000 t shirts then I suspect I would stay with TMT due to the quality and durability.

logobear
18-09-2013, 01:38 AM
interesting

Justin
18-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Printed a couple of dark transfers using Yolo sheets tonight. Printed well enough, no messing about...contour cut through my Silhouette. Finished product is very 'papery' on the garment which I kind of expected, you need the transfer to be thick enough to stop the black showing through. Will have a play with the white papers, these usually look better as you get the clear backing and they are a lot thinner.

Would love to have a play with Yolo's self weeding papers but I'm really unsure as to which laser printer would be best suited.

socialgiraffe
18-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Hi Justin

I am still puzzled as to why you want to use Ink jet transfers :-)

is it a cost thing, a quality thing or are you just having a tinker?

I am very interested to hear about the results, its just that whenever I have used ink jet transfers the end result has been a bit nasty, which I thought was the general consensus.

Justin
18-09-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm using inkjet at the moment simply because I don;t have a colour laser and can't get a definitive answer on the best one to use. Supposedly the print quality and durability are better through a pigment inkjet printer but obviously you can't use self weed.

End product was fine and I'm sure customers (hen nights etc.) would be more than happy, but for me it's too heavy/papery on the shirt and I want something lighter and less obvious.

socialgiraffe
18-09-2013, 11:27 PM
A good colour laser is the OKIC501

Works well with TMT products and is recommended for Target as well.

Also, print cost will be cheaper as they are on a laser compared to an ink jet.

Cost about £150. I have a C301 which is the nuts but target papers do not work in it.

Justin
18-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Can't find a 501 Simon, do you mean the 510? Or is this the updated model maybe?

http://www.printerland.co.uk/OKI-C510dn-P110372.aspx

socialgiraffe
18-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Sorry, yes meant the 510

socialgiraffe
18-09-2013, 11:33 PM
If you want some sample prints done on a 301 with TMT TTC then send over some images and I will post them out to you.

Please note that printer is not calibrated or profiled in anyway shape or form, but never had any complaints about colour etc.

Justin
18-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Sorry, yes meant the 510

Thanks Simon. I see the 511 is the same price as it has £50 cashback.

Justin
18-09-2013, 11:36 PM
If you want some sample prints done on a 301 with TMT TTC then send over some images and I will post them out to you.

Please note that printer is not calibrated or profiled in anyway shape or form, but never had any complaints about colour etc.

Cheers for that, not really got anything right now but I have a couple of jobs coming up, hence all the testing :-)

Reckon I'll give one of these printers a shot.....

socialgiraffe
18-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Target does not list the 511 but it would be worth giving them a call as their list could be out of date.

Justin
18-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Probably stick with the 510 then if it's tried and tested :-)

socialgiraffe
18-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Probably stick with the 510 then if it's tried and tested :-)

I would if I were you. however if you are not interested in target transfers then go for the 301 and save yourself £50.00 :-)

Justin
18-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Just ordered a 510 :-)

Justin
19-09-2013, 08:27 PM
OK, not ordered a 510! Lol. This printer is now discontinued. I've ordered the replacement printer, the 511. Suppliers tell me is an identical machine and is being used for transferred etc by many customers.

Dave271069
19-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Will be interested in following this thread justin and seeing how you get on with all the different papers out there. Xpress been on the phone to me today with some of theres for me to sample. Im at mo likeing didgi trans from yolo which is a no weed transfer

Dave271069
22-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Hello, it's been a busy time for me lately, just took over a new web site (pm me if you would like a peek) anyway, xpress sent me some 2 paper no weed CMYK TONER paper, I've just printed it onto a black tshirt and I'm more than happy, it looks superb. I would say I defiantly need a new expensive press as my Chinese model may not be up to the standard required to get a perfect print all the time. I went for a gloss finish but if I re pressed a second time I could of had Matt, I believe this paper is quite expensive but the result is worth every penny.....

Dave271069
22-09-2013, 12:23 PM
£70 for 100 x A&B papers. So about £150 with the vat etc.

phoenixalpha
22-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Is there a simple (ie one pass - one paper) system to put black text from a laser onto white (or light tshirts) with no weeding?

socialgiraffe
22-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Is there a simple (ie one pass - one paper) system to put black text from a laser onto white (or light tshirts) with no weeding?

Yes, textile transfer light is what you are looking for.

Personally I favour TTC from The Magic Touch. Others will favour other suppliers like Target and Xpres

Dave271069
22-09-2013, 01:00 PM

TTC Very good.
yolo Digi-Trans very good also

or yolo image clip is very good also its no weed and a 2 paper system but with a good press is very easy to do..

GoldRapt
22-09-2013, 02:35 PM
I use Yolo and have some continual problems. The problems are probably as Logo says, down to my technique so without appearing to bash Yolo.
Mugs and More, on mugs...best printed on a dye sub mug as my dishwasher test have proven using a sample from ASDA/Dye sub mug of similar proportions.
Printing onto metal, comes off with handling but tada I figured out the work around to prevent that and ensure longevity.

Jet Soft Pro Stretch. Nice paper but .....It doesn't peel off in one motion for me and if I contour cut it breaks up on peel like a jigsaw. I always have a small amount of yellowing somewhere (looks like thin glue or sellotape reside) on a white shirt. I have tried different pressure, different dwell, different temp and always get some yellowing somewhere in the clear of the print. Maybe I should start increasing the dwell times as it's a curing problem

If anyone has had this problem and worked out what they did to correct it please let me in on the secret. :-)

GoldRapt
24-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Wow, I'm wondering if I should change my name to thread Killer LoL :-)

socialgiraffe
24-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Wow, I'm wondering if I should change my name to thread Killer LoL :-)

Love it....

Justin
24-09-2013, 08:19 PM
My C511dn finally arrived today! Hurrah! .....and I've broken it already :-(

Ran a few sheets through to test it, spot on. Did my first T-Shirt transfer, Yolo Digi Trans onto white. Wow! Superb, fantastic print with very little hand. Moved on to Image Clip Light, not sure why you'd need this instead of Digi Trans...so thought I'd have a go. Printed one sheet....wrapped around the fuser unit....Service Call Error now appears! The sheet has come out but error persists. Emailed the supplier, think I'll end up having to cover this. Now to work out what I've done to save it happening again! :-(

I'm guessing I should have fed it from the front and not the tray so that it comes straight out the back? :-(

Digi Trans really was nice though ;-)

socialgiraffe
24-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Justin

There is a fix for this... I think.

it happened to me on my 711 the other day and Alan from TMT talked me through how to sort it. I can not give you the exact instructions as it would involve me dismantling the fuser in my 711 so I could remember the full steps but I will try....

Take the fuser out
Remove the blue handles by turning them to one end and they should slide off (one end will work the other wont)
On one side (sorry I can not remember if it is entrance or exit side) there are two screws that hold the plastic casing on. Locate and remove these screws and then remove the plastic casing. It should come of quite easily.

Now it gets tricky for me to remember
Lay it on the desk and on one side slightly to the left and above the rollers there should be a silver type screw thingy with two wires attached on each side. Remove the wires and then remove the plate

This is the thing that has popped

There will be a small square plate (about 5-10mm sqaure) on the bottom of that plate. This has become depressed. using a scalpal you need to wedge the plate back out.

When I did this I fiddled for a while and it did not look like I had done it. However when I put the whole thing back together it worked so do not be surprised if you do not see the plate pop back.

Put it all back together, put the spare screws and stuff in a jar to one side and hey presto it should work :-)

Up to you whether you decide my poor instructions are worth the gamble or not.

Essentially its a temperature protector but apparently it can be a tad sensitive.

Justin
24-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Might well have a go Simon thank you. Looks like I'll probably have to stump up £50/£60 for a new one otherwise. I read that Oki have to give you some software to reset the fault code as well?

Should I always be feeding transfer paper into the front...and out the back?

socialgiraffe
24-09-2013, 09:29 PM
If you get stuck drop a message on here and i will take a couple of pictures of mine to show you.

socialgiraffe
24-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Should I always be feeding transfer paper into the front...and out the back?

yes....... (darn you 10 character length!)

Dave271069
24-09-2013, 11:06 PM
hi justin, try and get some of the papers from xpress, its a 2 paper system, A&B. its for dark t-shirts and it looks amazing when pressed onto a tshirt...

Renniwano
25-09-2013, 03:44 PM
This thread is killing me lol.. I am waiting for finances to get a new printer to try these fab papers.. but after purchasing my new 'Genie' mug press it's taking a while :) *although helps with everyone else testing in advance lol*

Dave271069
25-09-2013, 05:07 PM
had a bad experience today with some Laser Opaque heat transfer from Yolo....
Wasted lots of sheets and have put it on my list of not to buy anymore.....
xpress and TMT still winning my transfer battle at the moment..

socialgiraffe
25-09-2013, 06:01 PM
had a bad experience today with some Laser Opaque heat transfer.

We have all been there mate...

GoldRapt
25-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Anybody want to buy some JSPS from Yolo ?

socialgiraffe
25-09-2013, 09:02 PM
What is JSPS?

GoldRapt
25-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Typo,,Jet Pro Soft Stretch,
see here for details (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?7724-Yolo-v-TMT-v-xpress-v-etc&p=76803&viewfull=1#post76803) :-)

(I'm joking, I must persevere)

Justin
28-09-2013, 05:16 PM
I've tested most of the Yolo papers I bought now. These are first tests so tweaking may help but I wanted to post my initial findings.

Digi-Trans (White garments) - Superb, very little hand on the shirt, worked a treat first time, very pleased.
Image Clip (Light) - 2 part paper, good hand and result very good. Colours appeared slightly off/dull but I can tweak this.
TechniPrint 4 - Needs a contour cut due to white background. Worked very well but end result quite thick on the shirt. Settings need tweaking again to get better image.
Image Clip (Dark) - 2 part paper, very good result, slightly thick (to be expected) but not as bad as inkjet papers.
Laser 1 Opaque - Needs to be contour cut, slightly tricky to weed, good sharp print, hand not too bad.

Hopefully get some jobs in to work more with these papers now. For white I'd probably stick to Digi-Trans and for darks Image Clip but it really depends on whether the image is suitable.

Paul
28-09-2013, 10:44 PM
I love JPSS. I used it few times and used this in couple of my videos. Always looked good and press well. need to buy some more soon...

GoldRapt
28-09-2013, 11:48 PM
It must be me then.

socialgiraffe
29-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Digi-Trans (White garments) - Superb, very little hand on the shirt, worked a treat first time, very pleased.

Would be interested to follow up this with durability once you have washed it a few times.

Dave271069
29-09-2013, 09:45 PM
MIGHT AS WELL KEEP THIS THREAD GOING...
Tonight i did a Facebook competition for 2 free t-shirts plastered in my new website's logo/brand. had a good response and lots of shares, anyway i decided to print to white t-shirts using XPRES CLASSIC + UNIVERSAL TEXTILES LASER PAPER. the garments come out very good.. well impressed - Washing is upto 40c and iron inside out. so the compatition is getting fierce, looking for that number 1 in laser paper, so far TMT TTC 3.1 AND THIS XPRESS ONE ARE my favourite for white garments (not including the no weed stuff)

Justin
30-09-2013, 12:22 AM
First wash of Yolo white laser transfers and all is well.... More to follow.

Will contact Xpres and Magic Touch to see if they will send samples papers as well.

GoldRapt
30-09-2013, 10:16 AM
First wash of Yolo white laser transfers and all is well.... More to follow.

Will contact Xpres and Magic Touch to see if they will send samples papers as well.

So are you saying this as a pre sale requirement or a requirement after the customer has made their purchase please JUstin?

Justin
30-09-2013, 01:21 PM
No, I'm just carrying out my own wash tests.

Justin
06-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Printed a couple more using Digi Trans and Image Clip, both results were excellent, slightly more intricate detail on the divi trans paper than the 2 part image clip, maybe I can improve this. All transfers have been washed 3/4 times now. Digi Trans is degrading quite badly at this stage, lighter background colours are very bad....this is a shame< i'd hoped it would last a little longer than 3 washes :-( Image Clip is holding up so maybe this is where the difference will become apparent.

Samples received from TMT, first test not good, paper stuck around fuser unit....will post more from the office tomorrow.

Dave271069
06-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Hi justin.
I found tmt ttc to be excellent on whites. Been making lots of dinosaur vests and tshirts for my boy and have been waahing them quite regularly. At the moment it looks like some of the transfers will out last the vests. Main problem I had was I do need to buy a new press as you do need a good quality one for most of the ttc papers.

Justin
06-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Using adkins swing so pressure not a problem....getting the paper through the printer is the only problem at the mo! Lol

socialgiraffe
07-10-2013, 01:17 AM
first test not good, paper stuck around fuser unit

Hi Justin

Best way I found to test papers is to start at the lightest paper setting and gradually move up the scale until you get something that a) prints the entire page and b) actually exits the printer as one single sheet.

On my 301 I use Ultra heavy 1 (121-176 GSM) but obviously it may be different on the 511

Renniwano
09-10-2013, 07:32 PM
How are you getting on with your printer now Justin ??

Justin
09-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Not done much more tbh. TMT paper isn't working for me but they've emailed with advice. I think I'm doing it as per these instructions already though so may not be compatible :-(

Still waiting to receive samples from Xpres I'm afraid so can't comment on those just yet.

really disappointed with the wash tests on the Yolo DigiTrans but will be looking at that again.

Renniwano
09-10-2013, 07:45 PM
I have the C511 sitting here now and also and waiting on samples from a few places now, Serigraf and Xpres etc.

My press unfortunately won't work with the wow papers as I was going to give that a go even without the white.. press apparently won't hold the low temperatures for long enough :( so gave serigraf a quick message yesterday on their No Cut products and heard back fairly quickly on prices and they are sending samples so I can test and do wash tests.

What did you think to the Image Clip now you've done a wash test on it ?

Dave271069
09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
When you say TMT isn't working, what do mean exactly justin? Is it not taking on the paper in the printer?
im having a good think about a oki white printer so may sell my oki c610 but to be honest I've used it about 20 times so it's like new..

socialgiraffe
09-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Hi Justin

is it the settings that you are having problems with?

here is a screen shot of the settings I use for the 301

Justin
09-10-2013, 10:44 PM
When you say TMT isn't working, what do mean exactly justin? Is it not taking on the paper in the printer?

Takes paper in but getting stuck to the fuser unit just before exit.

^Socialgiraffe - Settings all set according to what I's been told :-)

socialgiraffe
09-10-2013, 11:14 PM
And did they send you A4R paper?

Justin
09-10-2013, 11:17 PM
I believe so but not been in the office to double check, will look tomorrow.

Renniwano
11-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Just had a reply back from TT about the Exact Print and my new C511 printer

Thank you for your interest in the Exact print. The printer you mentioned, unfortunately, isn’t on the approved list of printers for this paper and if it isn’t compatible it will wrap itself around the toner and can be quite a costly repair. Please let me know if you would still like to test at your own risk then please let me know.

It's not looking good!!

Justin
11-10-2013, 06:36 PM
When I bought the 511 I was informed by the supplier that it was the direct replacement for the 501 and had no physical difference that would cause any issue with papers compatible with the 501.

Renniwano
11-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Do you mean the 510 ??

I am really dubious now about testing :/

Justin
11-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Sorry, yes I think that was the one.

Renniwano
11-10-2013, 10:08 PM
See it's the 510 that most papers are compatible with.. but like yourself went for the 511 because that's the new version of the 510 which is now being discontinued hmmm

Renniwano
14-10-2013, 08:59 PM
So Justin.. in total are the papers mentioned so far the only ones you have tested ??

I am waiting on samples from Serigraf, the samples from Xpres were already printed up - so no good for testing the printer..

Justin
14-10-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm still waiting for papers from Xpres believe it or not! Very slow. If they arrive pre printed I'll also be very annoyed.

TMT are sending more samples as it appears they should be compatible but I'm very concerned about them right now.
Is like to try other suppliers as well.

Renniwano
14-10-2013, 09:18 PM
I have been advised by TMT that my issue is going to be my press.. as allegedly it won't hold a low temperature for long enough.. so the WOW papers atleast for me are out the window..

If you receive your Xpres sample and it's not printed, do let me know lol.

I have just emailed Merlin Transfers regarding their Trim Free for lights for a sample.. so that will be an interesting one after Target Transfers can't guarantee their Exact Print won't mess up the printer.

windyash
15-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Lucky I read this thread was just about to order a Oki 511!!! Will watch and wait to see if I should just get the 301!!

Justin
15-10-2013, 07:21 PM
If the 301 will work ok then that may well be a better (and cheaper) option. I'm not sure what benefit the 511 is....will have a look at the specs again, must be a good reason why I bought it!

Renniwano
15-10-2013, 07:25 PM
I remember Simon saying the 301 won't work with some TMT papers ?? I think it was

Justin
15-10-2013, 09:33 PM
More samples arrived from TMT today, no response from Xpres to latest email.

Renniwano
15-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Merlin Transfers are going to send me a sample of their Trim Free Lights paper.. but so far haven't had anything I can test

Still waiting on Serigraf samples - not holding out much hope there at the moment though

socialgiraffe
15-10-2013, 09:39 PM
I remember Simon saying the 301 won't work with some TMT papers ?? I think it was

Nope :smile:, I said that the 301 does not work with Target Transfers papers and in particular their Exact Print. The 510 is listed as a supported printer for that paper

socialgiraffe
15-10-2013, 09:40 PM
no response from Xpres to latest email.

That comes as no surprise mate, they are absolutely useless. To such a point now that even if I have a quote for something only they sell I decline to quote rather than deal with them.

Renniwano
15-10-2013, 09:43 PM
That's the one.. I knew there was one in there that you mentioned didn't work lol

The 510 is listed as supported but I have been advised by them that the Exact Print hasn't been tested with the 511 and it's a test at own risk :/

Justin
15-10-2013, 09:47 PM
That comes as no surprise mate, they are absolutely useless. To such a point now that even if I have a quote for something only they sell I decline to quote rather than deal with them.

I've heard this from several places now. I've tried hard to work with them recently but they really do seem impossible to deal with.

phoenixalpha
16-10-2013, 10:57 AM
So from reading this thread.... I'm taking from it that the *only* printer to buy is the OKI 510 (not the 511 or the 3 series) for the best results and the largest compatibility with a range of papers - would that be an accurate statement?

socialgiraffe
16-10-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm taking from it that the *only* printer to buy is the OKI 510

errr no, there are a host of others like the 6 series which Dave owns and is arguably the best machine available for this type of work. However it is a lot more expensive.

I use the 301 which works but I had to play around with the settings to get it to work and even then it only works with TMT. likewise the same applies with the 5 series. But the 5 series has just been updated and there maybe something different in the guts of the machine as Justin is having problems right now.

The 6 series is the only one that is recommended by Target and also is sold by TMT so will do both papers straight out of the box. I have not looked at other papers so would not know about them, but I see no reason why it would not work given that two companies already support it.

Dave271069
16-10-2013, 11:11 AM
The only problem I have with the 6 series is I wish I bought the 7 series (white), the c610 has produced some lovely transfers for me and I've had some nice white tshirts using ttc to name just one.
I'm still in talks with the magic touch about getting me a white toner,

socialgiraffe
16-10-2013, 11:14 AM
The only problem I have with the 6 series is I wish I bought the 7 series (white), the c610 has produced some lovely transfers for me and I've had some nice white tshirts using ttc to name just one.
I'm still in talks with the magic touch about getting me a white toner,

I know what you are saying there Dave, but we all gotta start somewhere :-) and the difference in price is £1500!!! Its a bit like me saying that I love my £12000 Versacam but wish I had purchase the 72" wide one and also their UV jet. But that's another 40-50k to find!!!!!

phoenixalpha
16-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Sorry I should've said that the 510 is probably the best, most cost effective and efficient printer with the widest range of compatible papers.

The 6 and 7 series look great, but they are quite expensive for what they do, in comparison to the 510 whilst the 511 seems to have a few.... issues at the moment and the 310 doesn't work with a variety of papers.

Would that be a better assessment.

socialgiraffe
16-10-2013, 12:07 PM
The 6 and 7 series look great, but they are quite expensive for what they do

Not sure I follow. The 6 series is approved by both Target and TMT, the 3 and 5's are not, so it is the only one that you can purchase in the knowledge that you will have worry free transfer printing. The others may cause you problems so how can you say they are expensive for what they do when they are the only machines that do it, what is your basis for this statement?

I know this has gone slightly off topic but I see this all the time and do not understand a comment like its expensive when they are the only machines that do what they do.

I agree that the 510 (which has been discontinued) is probably the best one available in terms of cost, but if you have problems it will not take long to rack up £250 of waste over the life of the machine

phoenixalpha
26-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Did you ever resolve the 511 issue and if so what did you end up going with?

Dave271069
29-10-2013, 10:28 PM
to get back on track of the original post, After lots of testing ive finally come to a conclusion, i have a box of TTC here and i like its final print but i think im going to start purchasing XPRES TRIMFREE for white garments, ive been using it today for some babygrows (xmas present) and i can honestly say ive had less problems with TrImfree and great results.
here is one i did today.

Justin
29-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Trimfree is superb. I've been wash testing and its washing really well.

Dave271069
29-10-2013, 10:40 PM
have to agree Justin, only problem is ive used up all my sample packs now so looks like its time to purchase a box/pack

GoldRapt
30-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I look forward to the results of any test on opaque papers.

Thanks for posting your results Dave.

Justin
03-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Quick update, I've been wash testing my first transfer paper tests. The Yolo Digitrans faded after just three washes but hasn't deteriorated too much since then so I'd be interested in trying out different printer/press settings to possibly help this.

The Xpres Trimfree paper is still as vivid after 6/8 washes as when it was printed.

Dark papers from both are washing well, Xpres again is performing extremely well with no apparent issues after same number of washes.

Dave271069
03-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Any wash test on YOLO opique, for dark laser.

Justin
03-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Yes, washing very well, better than the white, no apparent issues after 6+washes :-)

GoldRapt
05-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Well here the shirt I was taking about with the burnt edges earlier on.
Shirt is an old ladies M&S t-shirt, 100% cotton, Cambodian made. The weave is not as thick to the touch as it is in the photo's.
Paper is Neehan's Jet Soft Pro Stretch from Yolo.
This has been washed four times now, inside out in the washing machine with main coloureds wash at 40 deg. Non bio soap tabs.
You can see the off white "burn" mark around the Q in the 2nd photo it is I believe, not a burn but carrier reside.

Dave271069
05-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Yolo, if your reading this your Laser OPAQUE is pants!
im fed up of throwing away sheet after sheet because i cant peel the dam thing off and then when i do the toner just does not stay on the paper it smudges every time, ive gone through about 15 sheets over the last few weeks just to make 2 t-shirts. simon, any chance you could print out 1 design for me and put it in a envelope? im loosing the will to live here, i can send it to you in photoshop format if it helps...

Dave

GoldRapt
05-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Sorry to read that Dave, now Simon what would you print it with and on what please?
I suppose the former will be the sp540?

Dave271069
05-11-2013, 10:47 PM
im hoping simon will do a copy for me on his versacam thats about as much as i know, as for the opaque ive just tried again and the same shit is happening, im sorry but its put me off it for life. i will try and upload some images of what has been happening.

Dave271069
05-11-2013, 10:48 PM
what i find is it is so difficult to peel off the backing i end up smudging ripping etc etc the image.. think im going to send a link to this post to there facebook page.

Dave271069
05-11-2013, 11:02 PM
im going to try my luck vinyl me thinks!

socialgiraffe
05-11-2013, 11:11 PM
simon, any chance you could print out 1 design for me and put it in a envelope? im loosing the will to live here, i can send it to you in photoshop format if it helps...

Email it over dave and I will print, cut, weed and post tomorrow.

Don't give up mate, we all get jobs like this and have all had experience of paper/machines not working the way they should.

socialgiraffe
05-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Simon what would you print it with and on what please?

Hi Goldrapt

I will print this on my versacam print and cut. However i could also use my OKI White but I do not have any WOW paper in stock. Either process produces darn fine results :-)

Dave271069
05-11-2013, 11:19 PM
hi Simon, thanks, let me know if you got it...
cheers

socialgiraffe
05-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Received, sent an email also asking what colour the garment is?

Dave271069
05-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Green, army green,
a woman in work ordered it from my Facebook shop before i had chance to change all the colors to basic red, black, white, blue

GoldRapt
06-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi Goldrapt

I will print this on my versacam print and cut. However i could also use my OKI White but I do not have any WOW paper in stock. Either process produces darn fine results :-)

Hi Simon, yes I knew you could do it on your versacamm (SP540?) I was more interested on what you use in the versacamm. Is it huge rolls of transfer paper?

socialgiraffe
06-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Is it huge rolls of transfer paper?

Yes, normally I purchase Soldark from TMT. I have found this to be the best price and best hand. I have used Siser in the past which is from Grafityp which is pretty good and I am currently testing sports flex from Target which has given good results so far. All the rolls come in 500-750 width and a roll is normally 25 meters.

The key thing is to get a decent application roll as well. I have tried pretty much all on the market and find that Siser's Evolution is the best. Nice and thin, not too tacky and is a hot peel which speeds up the process considerably versus cold peel versions.

GoldRapt
06-11-2013, 10:16 AM
what i find is it is so difficult to peel off the backing i end up smudging ripping etc etc the image.. think im going to send a link to this post to there facebook page.

I have the same problem with JSPS, It is a HOT Peel and doesn't come off in one go as it rips and sometime is like a jigsaw puzzle.
I use greaseproof paper as a Teflon sheet replacement and I am wondering if this might have something to do with the problem.

Yolo Creative
06-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Sorry for jumping into this thread so late but I hope we can help by sharing our experience of using the transfer papers that we currently stock. As discussed in the thread, there are questions surrounding inkjet vs laser and what printer to choose.

Our inkjet papers are currently more popular than our laser papers. We think that this could be down to the fact that most people start out using inkjet printers and get used to products like Jet-Pro Sofstretch and 3G Jet-Opaque. Jet-Pro Sofstretch is probably one of the thinnest transfers on the market which is why it is so popular. It is always best to print our inkjet transfers with pigment inks rather than standard dye-based or sublimation as pigment inks are more water resistant and wash better. We mainly use an Epson DX9400F printer for testing inkjet printers as it comes with Durabrite (pigment) inks. We find that Epson tends to be the most popular brand of inkjet printer amongst our customers most likely because many Epson printers use pigment ink cartridges. Inkjet papers will print on virtually any paper setting and rarely ever jam and for that reason, most technical queries tend to be with the laser papers.

From our experience, if your printer budget is at the lower end (£100-£200) then you'll probably get a more reliable inkjet printer. We were fans of inkjet papers until we purchased an OKI C610 (around £500) for testing the laser papers. This changed our view as the print quality is superior to our Epson inkjet printer. We have successfully used our OKI to print all of our laser papers but with laser printing you have to be prepared to carry out tests to find the optimum settings. From our experience, laser papers (especially self-weeding) are more sensitive to pressing temperatures and pressure. Therefore, laser printing is an option for people looking for a longer term solution and you will need a bit of patience. Finding the right printer setting for a laser printer is the most common technical query. This is the advice we give when trying laser papers for the first time...

Run a few sheets of blank paper through your printer to warm it up and select normal print/image quality. Starting with a normal or plain paper setting, print one sheet of transfer paper at a time using a bypass tray if possible. Gradually increase the paper weight setting* until the toner fuses well and the image does not smudge.

*Papers will usually work better on a slower paper setting e.g. heavy paper, transparency or label mode but always start with a normal paper setting and increase the paper weight setting gradually to reduce the chance of jamming.

You should not be able to smudge the image after a couple of minutes of it being printed. If the image can be smudged then the toner is not fused properly. You can usually solve this by choosing a slower paper setting. An advantage of choosing laser over inkjet is the ability to use self-weeding papers. Digi-Trans and Image Clip Laser Light/Dark/Koncert T's are the self-weeding papers that we stock. Digi-Trans has showed reduced washability with some printers (regardless of printer price) so is best for promotional items or items like tote bags which won't be washed often.

The next most common query is about contour cutting, weeding and peeling. Cut settings are really important in order to make the weeding process as easy as possible. Our Laser 1 Opaque paper (laser paper for darks) has a slightly higher peel force than our equivalent inkjet paper and it therefore becomes more critical that the blade only cuts the film layer (upper layer of coating) as even lightly scoring the backing paper (carrier sheet) will make the image much more difficult to peel away from the backing.

If someone is genuinely interested in switching from inkjet to laser then we can supply printed samples using our OKI C610. We have listed the settings we use for our printer below but these are likely to vary between different printers. We also always use the Multipurpose tray when printing.

Digi-Trans - Ultra Heavy 2 (189-220g/m2)
Techni-Print 4.0 - Heavy (105-120g/m2)
Laser 1 Opaque - Ultra Heavy 1 (121-188g/m2)
Image Clip Laser Light - Heavy (105-120g/m2)
Image Clip Laser Dark - Heavy (105-120g/m2)
Image Clip Koncert T’s - Heavy (105-120g/m2)
Mugs ‘n’ More - Medium (83-104g/m2)

We hope that some of the above might be of use. The big thing that we have learnt ourselves is that image transfer is not an exact science. Settings often need to be adjusted for different equipment and substrates :S

socialgiraffe
06-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi Yolo

Very good that you are here to respond to specific issues with your papers, however I think that the issues Dave is having need a more specific answer. If you look at the images he has uploaded, when he peels the transfer from the backing sheet it starts to rip as if the backing sheet is stuck to the transfer. If I were to offer an opinion it would be that the transfer is passing through the OKI to hot, but then I do not use your papers so could be well out.

I know that Dave is using a 610 so would assume he is using your recommended settings also, so what else would cause the backing sheet to stick to the transfer?

I have included Dave's original photo below to save you trawling through the threads.

Dave271069
06-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Thank you YOLO for taking the time to answer on this thread,
the problem im having is peeling the Laser 1 opaque away from the backing especially if im printing a block image like the one ive just put up on post, out of about 35 sheets of paper i think ive made 3 t-shirts so far (lol but i keep coming back) as i do like the stuff when ive eventually get it right.
so are you saying that when i peel away the corners where i get the smudge etc i shouldn't have any, so it could mean the toner hasn't fused?

Dave271069
06-11-2013, 11:03 AM
simon, this one image i put up was the final straw for me lol, it could of well been that my paciance had finally gone and i did not take my time, but still struggling to get the corners off and i do find it hard to peel away.

Yolo Creative
06-11-2013, 11:14 AM
im hoping simon will do a copy for me on his versacam thats about as much as i know, as for the opaque ive just tried again and the same shit is happening, im sorry but its put me off it for life. i will try and upload some images of what has been happening.

It looks like the blade setting or cut force is too high and the blade is scoring the backing paper. When this happens, the image will be much more difficult and in some cases virtually impossible to to peel away from the backing. Try reducing the cut settings so that the blade is not cutting into or even scoring the backing. We have tested this paper on different settings and found that the ease of peel is directly related to the depth of cut. Also, leave the image for a few minutes after printing and check that you are not able to smudge the print with your hand. If the toner has fused properly then it shouldn't smudge. If it does smudge then you may want to try adjusting the paper weight setting.

Dave271069
06-11-2013, 11:18 AM
thanks again,
but i did use blade 1 on a silhouette cameo as recommended.
i will give up on this image for now ad wait for another order until i test my self again......
thanks for now,

GoldRapt
06-11-2013, 11:26 AM
I use Yolo and have some continual problems. The problems are probably as Logo says, down to my technique so without appearing to bash Yolo.
Mugs and More, on mugs...best printed on a dye sub mug as my dishwasher test have proven using a sample from ASDA/Dye sub mug of similar proportions.
Printing onto metal, comes off with handling but tada I figured out the work around to prevent that and ensure longevity.

Jet Soft Pro Stretch. Nice paper but .....It doesn't peel off in one motion for me and if I contour cut it breaks up on peel like a jigsaw. I always have a small amount of yellowing somewhere (looks like thin glue or sellotape reside) on a white shirt. I have tried different pressure, different dwell, different temp and always get some yellowing somewhere in the clear of the print. Maybe I should start increasing the dwell times as it's a curing problem

If anyone has had this problem and worked out what they did to correct it please let me in on the secret. :-)
Seeing as Yolo are here, can you give an opinion on my JPSS problem please?

Well here the shirt I was taking about with the burnt edges earlier on.
Shirt is an old ladies M&S t-shirt, 100% cotton, Cambodian made. The weave is not as thick to the touch as it is in the photo's.
Paper is Neehan's Jet Soft Pro Stretch from Yolo.
This has been washed four times now, inside out in the washing machine with main coloureds wash at 40 deg. Non bio soap tabs.
You can see the off white "burn" mark around the Q in the 2nd photo it is I believe, not a burn but carrier reside.

I have the same problem with JSPS, It is a HOT Peel and doesn't come off in one go as it rips and sometime is like a jigsaw puzzle.
I use greaseproof paper as a Teflon sheet replacement and I am wondering if this might have something to do with the problem.

Could Greaseproof paper be my problem? I have yet to put the paper in the airing cupboard before use in case it's a damp problem but it's kept in a ziplock bag, and Ive checked my heatpress with a thermoeter gun. Any ideas would be a help. Thanks.

Yolo Creative
06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
but i did use blade 1 on a silhouette cameo as recommended

We'll do a bit of testing this afternoon for the Cameo and let you know what we feel are the optimum settings for Laser 1 Opaque. With the Silhouette Cameo, we have found that the 'Thickness' setting is really important. We used to think that the blade setting was enough but recent testing has shown otherwise - the 'Thickness' massively impacts on the depth of cut (we think this is maybe the cut force?). We're actually in the process of compiling Silhouette blade, speed and thickness settings for our products in order to include these on instruction leaflets.

Yolo Creative
06-11-2013, 02:57 PM
thanks again,
but i did use blade 1 on a silhouette cameo as recommended.
i will give up on this image for now ad wait for another order until i test my self again......
thanks for now,

We have carried out some tests which you can view here (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.568209573226333.1073741871.101978189849476&type=1&l=d4f569ea6b). We will admit that Laser 1 Opaque is not as easy to peel as some of the inkjet papers for darks that we stock but we hope that these images and suggested settings will be helpful.

Yolo Creative
06-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Seeing as Yolo are here, can you give an opinion on my JPSS problem please?

We'll try our best to shed some light on this. You mentioned that you use greaseproof paper but we find that it isn't usually necessary to cover Jet-Pro Sofstretch with a silicone or Teflon sheet. We'd only recommend using a silicone or Teflon sheet if you are trying to protect a delicate fabric. Siliconized parchment paper is slightly different to standard greaseproof paper. We haven't actually carried out tests with standard greaseproof paper so couldn't say for sure if this is having an effect on the results or not. We find that the recommended pressing temperature of 190 degrees for 30 seconds works well on 100% cotton. Always pre-press the garment for a few seconds to remove any residual moisture.

Jet-Pro Sofstretch is slightly more 'brittle' when weeding so it isn't always easy to weed in one go. Like all transfer papers, the cut settings can have an impact on how easy it is to weed. We are currently carrying out tests to determine the best settings so will certainly let you know when we have these.

Heavy pressure is recommended so the press should be on the verge of difficult to close. If you peel whilst hot then the backing should come off easily in one smooth action. If it doesn't then this could be a sign that there is uneven pressure or temperature across the press. We are a huge fan of using Teflon pillows inside or below garments as they not only even out pressure but also help to distribute and retain heat which gives you more time to peel.

Jet-Pro Sofstretch does have a clear film background so unless you cut away all unprinted areas then you will have a film residue. However, the film residue should be clear rather than yellow. Yellowing after pressing is usually caused by either scorching or inks. What type of ink are you using? We had a customer recently who was using one of our laser papers and they found that it yellowed after pressing. We carried out tests with the same images using our printer and found that the ink was changing colour. We could check this for you by sending a printed sample. If the garment is particularly thin or there is polyester content then you may have to reduce the pressing temperature and/or time. Do you feel that the garment is lightweight? About 175 degrees tends to be the absolute minimum temperature (usually lowering by only 5 to 10 degrees is enough) and you should really only be reducing the pressing time by 5 to 10 seconds.

GoldRapt
06-11-2013, 04:51 PM
THan ks I will look further into this. I am using Pigment ink for use with heat transfers but at the time this happened I was using durabrite.

Yolo Creative
06-11-2013, 07:11 PM
THan ks I will look further into this. I am using Pigment ink for use with heat transfers but at the time this happened I was using durabrite.

We use Durabrite inks for testing so it is likely not to be a problem with inks. We'd recommend trying to press without the greaseproof and adjust the temperature and/or time slightly.

Ask_Alan
07-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Greaseproof paper is for cooking, its a waxed paper - but not for heatpress graphics. If buying from a well known supermarket then Siliconised baking sheet is the type. You are better buying release paper (siliconised paper) from a paper supplier.

Cameo - the thickness setting is a misnamed Downforce setting, The machine is strong and normal flex type material cuts at a setting of 4-5 out of 30+
at the 30 end this will cut through thick card!
When cutting weak/rubbery materials the force(thickness) is likely to be 1-2 but as the cutter is slow a newish blade is needed. With a blade that is not sharp enough the material will pucker as it cuts.

Alan

GoldRapt
07-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Interesting poit Alan as greaseproof paper has been puted as an alternative to teflon for a long time. I will look for this siliconised baking sheet online as I don't think I have seen it at my local superrobber "ASDOR"

Yolo Creative
07-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Interesting poit Alan as greaseproof paper has been puted as an alternative to teflon for a long time. I will look for this siliconised baking sheet online as I don't think I have seen it at my local superrobber "ASDOR"

If you message us your details then we can send you some siliconized parchment paper to compare to the greaseproof.

GoldRapt
07-11-2013, 05:00 PM
If you message us your details then we can send you some siliconized parchment paper to compare to the greaseproof.

I've sent you a cheeky little pm.:cool:
Are you, was it Helen?

Ask_Alan
08-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Seems that ASDOR do 1 combined item, Tesco do both and the greaseproof really is waxed paper, the ASDA one appears to be Siliconised paper, I don't have a local asda oops!
Depending on what your doing Teflon (tm) sheets which are PTFE coated glassfibre sheets last ages are washable and make great baking sheets for Choux pastry and biscuits :biggrin:

GoldRapt
08-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the update Alan, I will be going there today to look around.

draig
08-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I bought some Silicon based baking Sheets in Lidl last week. 99p for 30. Also got some once at the QC Store again in sheet form.

Work well and better than Greaseproof. They recommend Butchers paper in the States, would need either a friendly butcher/Deli or whosesaler for this though I would think.

Sharon

GoldRapt
08-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Yolo very kindly sent me some of their silicone paper to try.
Thank you Yolo.
Did you get my pm as I didn't get a reply :)

windyash
24-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Think this thread needs bumping to the top , only because im about to buy an OKI 511 and need to know what works with it!!!

Ive been trying some Yolo papers with my Epsom inkjet with pretty good results but would like to try the no weed type of papers now . Seem to be spending more and more time on clothiong and less on signs !!!! but the clothing side is good so I dont mind lol

Dave271069
27-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Just had to make a 7 tshirts for some kids going to a gig in Cardiff, designed the front using vinyl but as i was keeping the cost down for them and didnt want to spend all day weeding i did the backs using THE MAGIC TOUCH TTC3.1 2394

RogerC
27-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Just had to make a 7 tshirts for some kids going to a gig in Cardiff, designed the front using vinyl but as i was keeping the cost down for them and didnt want to spend all day weeding i did the backs using THE MAGIC TOUCH TTC3.1 2394

Dave if the 'kids' round your way are anything like those on 'The Valleys' TV show........(I say show but it's more like a train crash)...........you're going to be a busy boy. :biggrin:

dye123
30-01-2017, 01:05 AM
Just had to bump this old thread!

Is there better transfer paper availible now or is still the same old stuff yolo tmt xpress etc

socialgiraffe
30-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Is there better transfer paper availible now or is still the same old stuff yolo tmt xpress etc

TMT have released a new paper called T.ONE. Its very good. Other than that, I suspect most suppliers have just improved their current range.

Longforte
02-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Hi everyone!

We just launched our new range of Titan X® Laser Transfer Papers at Printwear & Promotion Live 2017.

We have a Self-Weeding Laser Paper suitable for printing onto Light Textiles such as cotton and cottons blends. No cutting, no fuss, no excess film left on your garment and compatible with ALL laser printers that we've tested so far (so long as they can accept heavy paper). We were demoing it at our stand and the feedback and interest was incredible - especially when people heard that our paper costs just 70p per sheet - almost half price of comparable brands. It is also machine washable up to 40 degrees.

Our other Hard Surface Laser Transfer Paper is suitable for printing onto hard substrates such as cardboard, metal, glass, ceramic and wood. With great colour reproduction and easy to print a pack of 100 sheets costs just £45 ex VAT making it highly cost effective.

Watch this space as the range expands and if you'd like to find out more see more details on our range here: http://www.longforte.com/printing-papers

Drop us a line at info@longforte.com and we'll be happy to answer any questions you have and can if you are interested we'll be happy to post you a free sample so you can see the results for yourself.

Kind regards,
Jay