PDA

View Full Version : Mains generator ..

Volusian
20-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Hi ... anyone recommend a reliable but cheapish generator that will run a laptop .. heat press and a mug press at a market area .. ? .. thanks

guarddog14
20-08-2013, 09:57 AM
i was looking for something like this , please let me know if you find anything

pisquee
20-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Not sure you'd want cheap, as cheap would mean loud, and in a market environment, you would find this off-putting for your own customers, and not go down well with the other traders, and in turn market management. You need a silenced generator (which will cost more, or even super-silenced ideally) Also, check with market management, as to any rules for running gennies onsite.

In terms of size of the gennie, look at the power ratings of the pieces of equipment that you want to run - usually on a label on the machine itself, or in the case of the laptop, will be on the PSU. You want to add these together, and get a gennie that is at least bigger than this, although ideally twice as big.

Although, have you thought through how it will work operationally to have customers placing orders, whilst you are trying to print mugs and other things - footfall tends to be greater in a market environment compared to a shop, and you will have more people wanting to talk to you. Also, check your insurance will cover you for operating a gennie and heat presses in such an environment - you are going to need risk assessments.

Earl Smith
20-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Honda have a massive range of silenced generators. Prices around 1k upwards.

JMugs
20-08-2013, 10:23 PM
The computer will require a sine wave generator, not a bog standard generator, which will also add to the cost.

Janners

RogerC
20-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Kipor sine wave gennies are good and reliable...and quiet. Their 3000 is excellent but pricy..around £750. I've had one for about 5 years and it's excellent. They also make a 2600 for around £550.00 not cheap but reliable, quiet and sine wave technology which you'll need for a smooth power supply.

mrs maggot
21-08-2013, 11:05 AM
also remember a lot of places will require you to have LPG gas conversion or a diesel, as they will not allow petrol generators - you need to also inform your insurance company that you use a generator and what fuel it uses, as some see it as being a big extra risk

Volusian
22-08-2013, 07:54 AM
thanks for the very useful info guys ... :)

James990
22-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Wouldn't you also need a printer?

Volusian
22-08-2013, 12:48 PM
yes ... i will be taking a laptop pc, Ricoh dye sub, t shirt press, mug press, roland sign cutter .. and not all working at once.

I worked out a 2.5kw sine wave generator should suffice ... but ill check with dealer before i purchase ..

James990
22-08-2013, 01:00 PM
I took a set up when I did a three day event, but doubt if I would do all that just for a one day market though.

If you need Public Liability, the National Market Traders Fed include it in their membership fee, and it is recoginsed by all the market people etc.

I would be very interested in how it all goes as well.

James

smo
28-08-2013, 12:23 AM
yes ... i will be taking a laptop pc, Ricoh dye sub, t shirt press, mug press, roland sign cutter .. and not all working at once.

I worked out a 2.5kw sine wave generator should suffice ... but ill check with dealer before i purchase ..

Good luck! Running a heat press off a generator is a tall order - the peak draw from a heating element is quite high much like starting a motor which is why soft starters were invented for motors to reduce the initial draw.

We use a Kipor 2.6KVa to run a commercial embroidery machine and laptop at shows and it works a treat :)