PDA

View Full Version : Making sure your tshirt is square and the image is in the middle - how do you do it?

cakeboy
26-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Hello from Cheltenham,
I have done a few child 3/4 tshirts today for family members and had a nervous time trying to make sure that the tshirts were square and the image is in the middle I also had a blank mousemat under the tshirt to get a good solid pressing which I was very pleased with, my question is what tips and tricks do you use to line the tshirts up before closing the cover?
best regards
dave
cheltenham

tlworkwear
26-08-2013, 10:01 PM
A good beginner technique is to fold the tee in half then give a quick press, there will then be a crease down the middle which you can use as a guide before pressing the design on.

Earl Smith
27-08-2013, 10:06 AM
I also use a large, metal, right angled square. Not sure of the real name for it. This helps me get the design straight accross the t-shirt.

R.Prints
27-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I just place a ruler between armpit seams which gives you a horizontal guide, and also shows you where the middle is. Cheap, easy and works.

printrub
30-08-2013, 09:35 AM
I've been using a cutting7craft mat with a ruled grid. really useful for registration

rossdv8
30-08-2013, 11:07 AM
For adult shirts I have a couple of wooden frames that i slip snugly inside the shirts at the seams. Then i place that over the bottom platen and let it hang there. Slide it till it is an even distance. One frame fits M - L and if I turn it sideways it fits XL - XXL.

Works for me and is quick and simple. I've now worked out a quick simple change so the frame can slide to fit different sizes perfectly.and quickly,

Ok, now someone can go make it out of plastic and patent it :-)

logobear
02-09-2013, 12:03 AM
If you cannot judge the middle of something to within 5% by eye, you might be in the wrong business ........
I was trimming an image the other week in front of a customer, - she remarked how good I was at using scissors, ----- a skill I had always taken for granted, but now, - when I watch, I have never seen anyone else use scissors as fast, or as neat as i do.
top tip,
get the garment proper square, - hang upside down and shake well, most garments are not perfect anyhow,
pre press it flat,
use eye to place in middle, then check position using how many 'fingers' it is from each edge, adjust accordingly, finger measure again.....
If you get a really pissed garment, and there is no true middle coz it is all wonky, you might have to get philosophical with your customer ...........
in the nicest possible way, inquire if (depending on gender of client)
their.....
testicles / mamms are symmetrical...... thought not, - so why should their t-shirt be perfect ! (joking!)

socialgiraffe
02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
With logobear, my eye is good enough for me and if anyone complains I always say "a blind man would like to see it" followed by "good bye"

mrs maggot
04-09-2013, 02:23 PM
i have seen a lot of tees where people have placed then "square" with the top of the t without as logo says sorting out the t at the bottom first, most of them are skewed, eyes not letting me down here either, i would hate to press a crease down the front of a t, as a lot of the time that will remain, and show through anything else you are pressing onto it

but hubby once made an interesting shirt, which was a back logo and not straight at all (blame the cider) and the blokes Mrs complained, then hubby said get him to put it on, so the 6'2" bloke did, and it was perfectly level as the bloke has a twisted back/shoulder - now i still maintain that was the luck of the cider fairy, but he seems to think it was normal customer service.

JMugs
04-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Mrs Maggot
Cider looks after the righteous, it is after all the tears of Angeles.

Janners.

Paul
04-09-2013, 06:34 PM
with cider or not, i always screw up positioning on tee :)
so if there is no difference then i am always on cider :)

Justin
04-09-2013, 08:17 PM
I see some of the newer heat presses are fitted with a laser guide now for accurate placements.

mrs maggot
05-09-2013, 03:04 AM
i saw some of those at the show and thought you can make a stand alone one yourself using a laser pen and a stand - 99p shop will be the place to go

cakeboy
05-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Thank-you all for your informative replies, I have come up with this idea of using a flat piece of wood (b&q £1.19) and have measured in the middle the width of a a4 portrait sheet and then marked ruler measurements in 5mm increments from the middle out so when i line it up i can see when its in the middle without keep turning a normal round trying to measure it.
Regards
Dave1923

Paul
05-09-2013, 09:41 PM
top idea! i understand that length of the wood is of size of your press base?

cakeboy
05-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Yes Paul, it is!!
Cheers
Dave

Hyraxx
18-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Got these last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UqeEWzD0i0

and the logo it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5hrEYccaXQ

Pretty cool the logo it

mrs maggot
18-09-2013, 12:07 PM
i have to say i have a t square it, gathering dust and i will be selling it on, as i really cant see the use in it for me

Hyraxx
18-09-2013, 02:29 PM
the tee sq is not as handy as the logo it as we had a client that was fussy to say the least about placement and the logo it fitted the job.