PDA

View Full Version : Mug presentation / packaging

stubuch
12-09-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm wondering how people package mugs for selling direct, not posting. I've taken a stall at a church fair later in the month and as well as offering custom mugs I've been making up some with patterns, the aim being to shift some mugs on the day as well as get some orders. I've got acetate boxes from Listawood and was wondering whether people put a card insert in these like the photo on their website. I've measured it out and a DL flier with about 15mm cut off the end will fit nicely in so branding on the back, the base and about 12mm on the front. If it's a gift it should give the recipient a link back to me, I thought about sticking a business card in the bottom of the box but they'll have my "single mugs from..." price on so it's a bit cheeky and more likely to be removed.
Do other people do anything like this with clear boxes, or do you use white boxes or no box?

pisquee
16-09-2013, 09:26 PM
All the mugs have a vinyl label on the base with our brading and www address, along with (c) info. A small folding info card is put inside each mug.

For our sales on markets/fairs we put the mug in a bubble wrap bag, and then into a small paper carrier bag.
For wholesale orders, the mugs get shipped to retailers in the 36 unti cardboard boxes they come in, with additional info cards for display purposes.
Online sales are shipped in strong double walled cardboard boxes.

At fairs/markets etc - people like to be able to pick things up and handle them etc - if they're in a plastic box, then this a physical barrier to them doing them. Also, the more packaged something is, the less handmade it looks, and you're in danger of people assuming it's mass produced or imported. People like small businesses and handmade, especially at markets, where there is usually plenty of competition from people who are importing mass produced items from China, and undercutting you.

James990
17-09-2013, 12:11 AM
I have the mugs on show at the markets/fairs that I go to, the customer chooses which mug they want, I pop it int o a box along with some info about who they have bought it from and then into a carrier bag, and after taking their money, of they go!

Love the idea though of the bubble wrap bag, where do you get them from, and are they cheaper than the boxes?

James

stubuch
25-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback, as I'd bought some acetate boxes already I took the plunge and got a few card inserts for them printed, I was getting some business cards done anyway. They came out quite well, just need to get used to folding them in the right place. I did find people were just as happy with a bubble wrap bag as they were with a box though, some of my mugs had arrived in these so was just recycling them.

My first fair was OK (in the sense it could have been worse), four hours at the stall generated eight sales there and then from the mugs I'd pre-made (I'd taken 40 mugs, a couple of water bottles, a travel mug and moneybox) , I had another eight orders for customised mugs or money-boxes and one enquiry about quantity discounts :smile: I also handed out a few business cards which generated some hits on my website, so a reasonable start for a newbie hobbyist.

Stuart

benwilliamson
13-11-2013, 12:11 AM
I have some acetate mug presentation boxes for sale (10,000 available) in any quantity big or small. They are almost identical to the ones listawood sell. They look great. i'm trying to offload some to make some store room space so these are just £0.22+vat, plus postage at cost.