PDA

View Full Version : Enamel Mugs and TMT CPM

Simon
13-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Now then guys and gals,

I'm having a wee bit of bother with enamel mugs. I've been trying to use TMT CPM to get an image onto a Falconware 8cm dia white mug with blue rim.
I'm heat pressing the transfer and mug in a mug press at 170 deg C for 100 secs, but the rim of the mug keeps cracking and splintering off under the heat and pressure. I've tried to internally support the opening of the mug by wedging it (because my first efforts immediately cracked under the tightening pressure of the press) but that has only lessened the effect because as the temperature increases, the mug must expand cracking the rim.

If I lighten the pressure the transfer wont take.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong or suggest a remedy?

Or should I just resort to waterslide?

Thanks in advance

Simon

socialgiraffe
13-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Hi Simon

Can you not hang the lip outside the press?

Are you using a soft pad when pressing?

When I use CPM on coloured mugs I press at 160 degrees for 160 seconds with a soft pad wrapped around the mug and strong pressure. I am getting perfect results every time, but then the mugs I am using can withstand the high pressure needed to transfer.

Lastly, are you cold peeling?

Simon
13-09-2013, 12:12 PM
I do hang the lip outside the press, sorry should've mentioned that. Yes, I am cold peeling.
I've tried with and without a silicone wrap; is the soft pad more efficient and/or effective than a silicone sheet?
I am only experimenting ATM, TMT sent me a couple of sheets of CPM (as you suggested they might, thanks)
I noticed the soft pad was £25 + Vat so as I was trialling, I opted for a cheaper option.
If my enamel mugs aren't up to the job, may I enquire as to where you obtain yours?

socialgiraffe
13-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Hi Simon

I do not do enamel mugs but would love to give them a go and is something I am going to look at for next year. Problem is that I would need to keep 1000 in stock in the hope that they sell and to be honest that is too much money sitting on the shelf for me. What sort of price are the ones from Falconware?

The soft pad is different to a silicon sheet. The soft pad feels like a piece of foam, very squidgy. I have done some ceramic mugs where I forgot to wrap the pad on the mug and it did not work for me.

a sheet will give you 4-5 soft pad mug wraps and they last for ages. Appreciate that you are only testing at the moment so do not want to spend the money, but in this instance you may have to. Go back to TMT and see if they have a scrap piece for mug wrapping.

Simon
13-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi, thanks for your input, its much appreciated. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet.
The mugs, I can get them for around £1.50 + VAT each, but they are from a surplus stock warehouse. I don't generally see them under £2.00, but then, I don't have the trade contacts as I rarely do anything commercial, usually family and friends; but a scout leader from my daughters church caught wind of our mug printing exploits and asked if we could do some enamel ones (said he'd want a couple of dozen at least), so I thought I'd give it a go.

chrissydd
20-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Hi, I've just been looking into enamelware and have seen your thread. Realise this is a couple of years old but I wondered if you'd had any joy this enamelware? And whether you have a supplier for enamel mugs? Any advice would be much appreciated :) thanks

Justin
20-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Might be good to start a new thread as the ones you're responding to are 3-5 years old :-)

chrissydd
20-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Thanks Justin :) I think I've found my answer now :)