PDA

View Full Version : ICC installation and its use

JMugs
25-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Is installing an ICC profile as easy as it appears in windows XP
ie click on the profile, click install profile, then just follow the path to apply it to the correct printer.
End result is if I go to the properties for the printer it shows the default colour profile associated with the printer is the one just installed. So I assume now that anything printed on that printer will be colour corrected to the new profile. ie from screen print, word, coreldraw etc.

Right or wrong?

Or do I have to set up Coreldraw / photoshop or whatever individually as well / instead of?

Just pondering like.

Janners.

socialgiraffe
25-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Hi Janners

Wrong.

I know with Corel you have to go into the Colour Management and set it up.

pisquee
25-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Best results from installing the printer ICC into Photoshop and getting it to deal with colour management rather than windows.

Paul
25-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Best results is to to put your ICC to windows and then use it via photoshop or corel ;)

Profiles need to be installed in the correct location on your computer for them to be available to image editing and other applications. These locations are:

Mac OS X:
Storing profiles in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles allows all users to use them. An alternative area, for users without Admin privileges, is /Users/<username>/Library/ColorSync/Profiles. Profiles stored here are available only to the current user. The ColorSync Utility gives access to the details of individual profiles, shows gamut plots, can rename profiles, validates profile structure, among other useful tasks.
OSX 10.7.3 (Lion) and above: The system profile folder is hidden by default. Storing profiles in this folder is possible, but requires following the steps described here.

Windows 7, Vista and XP:
\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color
Microsoft has a Control Panel Applet that emulates some of the functionality of Apple's ColorSync utility. It allows easy installation and removal of profiles, editing of internal and external names, viewing 3-D gamut plots, comparing two different profiles, and much more.
If you do not use the Color Applet, the easiest way to install a profile in Windows XP is to right click on the profile in Windows Explorer and select "install profile". Windows copies the profile to the correct directory automatically.

Important note: If you are replacing a profile in Windows XP, the above shortcut does not work. The profiles must be manually copied to the correct directory for the original profile to be replaced.
Mac OS 9.x:
System Folder:ColorSync Profiles
Mac OS 9.x users who have difficulty loading profiles in Photoshop, please read this note.
Windows 2000 and NT:
\Winnt\system32\spool\drivers\color
See above note on installing profiles in Windows XP. The same technique works in Windows 2000.
Windows ME and 98:
\Windows\System\Color

source: http://www.drycreekphoto.com </username>

JMugs
25-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Ahahah you guys have provided the same information as I have read, ie conflicting.

So being the pedant I have just installed one computer one way, the other the other way, and shall compare the results using Coreldraw.

I really must get a life!

Janners

Paul
25-09-2013, 11:00 PM
there is only one way of installing ICC :cool:

JMugs
25-09-2013, 11:12 PM
The outcome was identical!

Janners.

pisquee
26-09-2013, 11:01 AM
If you let Photoshop do the colour management, then when you set up proofing, PS 'knows' what colours will look like when printed, and can show you this onscreen, along with what colours are out of gamut. This is incredibly useful for tweaking colours. I do a lot of work in PS in proof mode, and am very happy with results of how close what I see on screen is to the final sublimated product.

Paul
26-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Agree with Tim!
wirking in proof mode is extremly usefull and can help you to avoid few ruined blanks :)

JMugs
26-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Hmm
I hardly ever use Photoshop, always a Coreldraw sort of person, I can see my curiosity getting the better of me and brushing up on Photoshop!

Janners

pisquee
26-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Does Corel have a proof mode?

JMugs
26-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Not that I can see in the 800+ page guide. I guess it must have somewhere!

Janners.