PDA

View Full Version : Which ADKINS heat press to choose ?

miniumini
06-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Hi all.

I'm new on this forum so please be patient :tongue:

After long research I decided to buy ADKINS heat press from XPRES for t-shirts and I don't know which one of these two choose:

1. XP7051 Studio Auto Clam Junior Press 40cm x 40cm
http://www.xpres.co.uk/p-8246-studio-auto-clam-junior-40cm-x-40cm.aspx

or

2. XP7053 Studio Auto EZ Clam Press 40cm x 50cm
http://www.xpres.co.uk/p-8248-studio-auto-ez-clam-50cm-x-40cm.aspx

Both seem to be well built. I like the heating plate mount in XP7053 (Auto EZ one) but don't know why case has many holes ?
The XP7051 looks even better but is a bit smaller and a bit more expensive.

Could You help me choose better one please ?

I'm also considering STAHL Hotronix MAXX 38cm x 38cm.

Any sugestions ?

Regards.

Jason
06-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Adkins are pretty much the industry standard press in the UK, personally I would go with an Atkins swing-away, this is because Clam presses struggle to exert the pressure required for some of the laser papers available.

miniumini
06-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks for quick reply.
I was thinking about swing-away but I don't have enough space for it. That Auto EZ has 4 springs which I think helps evenly distribute the pressure at each corner. But these holes looks weird to me :tongue:
I will print on RICOH ink printer. Will use flex/flock too.
I have to choose one from these 3 above I'm afraid.

Jason
06-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Hi,

All are very good presses, from these 3 I would go for the one with largest platen size.

thecartoonman
07-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Hi

Find the space! The swing away will last you for year's, we have had one 10+ still going strong and it gives you the flexibility to print everything.

socialgiraffe
07-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Find the space! The swing away will last you for year's, we have had one 10+ still going strong and it gives you the flexibility to print everything.

I agree with this, I had a cheap clam shell one which although very good was not up to pressing everything I needed it to. So I purchased a swing away from The Magic Touch and just made sure I had the room for it. Superb machine

miniumini
07-10-2013, 02:04 PM

That's what I just did. The swing-away is on the way now ;)

Thanks lads for your help.

Regards

thecartoonman
07-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Well done, you will not regret it. These Adkins presses are at the top end of the price scale for a reason, they are 1st class, never let you down and there is a full UK spares back-up to replace the items that do wear with lots of use. Happy printing.

miniumini
07-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks again ;)

beco1979
02-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Which one did you buy in the end and how is it working out?

NikGrey
02-11-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm also interested in this thread as I am looking for a 'Proper' press.. Adkins was recommended to me.

JMugs
02-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Also worth looking at http://www.pressmech.co.uk/site/index.php?sublimation-press.

Janners

pisquee
02-11-2013, 08:10 PM
With Janners on this one ... we liked the PressMech machines and so bought another!

NikGrey
04-11-2013, 10:48 PM
I went to visit Simon today, whilst I was there he allowed me to use his press to finish a job I had intended to complete on the cheap press I just had to send back.

It's an Adkins - looks old, that is built like a Tank - I finished my job in no time... and it was a pleasure !

I was only there for Two hours but learned more than I probably realise about this business - his place of work was an eye opener for me, so much gear.. I could spend hours there and not get bored.

Anyway, I am in the market for a proper press as I have probably said somewhere - at today's prices a 38 x 50 is £900, Those posted above also look great but the price difference for a noob, (well for this noob at least) made the choice for me.

As usual I had many questions today.. I was surprised to hear that the Adkins had not needed a replacement heat plate in over a Decade (I think he said). I must confess that I expect anything that heats and contracts so often to fail fairly often but that fact alone I think makes the Adkins worth its money.

I will have one soon, question is - where from ?

pisquee
04-11-2013, 11:04 PM
The more expensive presses for around the £1000 mark are all very solidly built and reliable - and an eye opener when moving from a cheap press. It's a dangerous one though, as it's hard to go back to a cheapy after using the real thing!
Thankfully, as they are so well built, and last so well, with good support and spares available from the manufactures, that you can pick up old used ones very cheap on Ebay which are still running as well as the day they were built - they just may look a little shabby, but work wise are fine. PressMechs rarely pop up on Ebay, but there's often Adkins and Insta (very similar USA press) on there.

RogerC
05-11-2013, 03:16 AM
Nik.....keep an eye on fleabay........I got my Stahls max from there...almost brand new for less than half the price of a new one.

socialgiraffe
05-11-2013, 07:56 AM
The more expensive presses for around the £100 mark are all very solidly built and reliable

Am pretty sure Pisquee means £1000 :-)

keep an eye on fleabay

My only concern and as mentioned to Nik when he visited is that you can not trust ebay sellers to tell the truth. You could end up with a bloomin lovely machine, hardly used etc like Roger did, however you could end up with one that has been used and abused to an inch of its life. Although the better built machines are designed to be workhorses there are still items on every machine that wear out. I would just be cautious about the description on auction sites and how much thye may or may not have been used.

Adkins are sold by TMT and XPRES. Stahls are sold by Target Transfers. Not sure on Pressmech and I am sure Pisquee will be able to let you know.

purpledragon
05-11-2013, 09:50 AM
I went to visit Simon today, whilst I was there he allowed me to use his press to finish a job I had intended to complete on the cheap press I just had to send back.

It's an Adkins - looks old, that is built like a Tank - I finished my job in no time... and it was a pleasure !

I was only there for Two hours but learned more than I probably realise about this business - his place of work was an eye opener for me, so much gear.. I could spend hours there and not get bored.

Anyway, I am in the market for a proper press as I have probably said somewhere - at today's prices a 38 x 50 is £900, Those posted above also look great but the price difference for a noob, (well for this noob at least) made the choice for me.

As usual I had many questions today.. I was surprised to hear that the Adkins had not needed a replacement heat plate in over a Decade (I think he said). I must confess that I expect anything that heats and contracts so often to fail fairly often but that fact alone I think makes the Adkins worth its money.

i may know where theres a knight press going if ur interested let me know ill see what i can find out
Brett

pisquee
05-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Yes, I did mean £1000 not £100 LOL (blaming dodgy keyboard!)

PressMechs can be bought direct from PressMech themselves. Richard/Dick/Dickie is the main guy, and if not in stock, will build to order. We've had/used Instas and Adkins along with PressMech, and they are all very good machines, as mentioned, built like tanks to be workhorses.
Some of the older Instas/Adkins have clockwork timer, and analog temp guage, which I do like, as there's less computery stuff to go wrong.
The PressMech I like from the point of view of it being easier to take apart for servicing/repair than the Insta/Adkins design, along with Dickie being at the end of the phone to talk me through things I couldn't work out - he knows his machines inside out from memory.
Definitely be wary with Ebay, and if you don't want to get burned, get a press close enough that you can go and have a play before handing over your cash. Even when factoring in the time/money of having to collect possibly some distance, you could still save a huge stack of cash, and get a great machine.

(I did a few months back see an old Adkins press which was very similar in design to PressMech's, but I don't know the history of both companies to know how this came about - did mean to ask Dickie at the time, but forgot. Equally, I've not found out the relationship between the design similarities between Adkins and Insta)

socialgiraffe
05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
which I do like, as there's less computery stuff to go wrong.

That is exactly the reason why I did not go for the Stahls Fusion. Looks like a great machine, but touch screens, recoverable memory press times and pressures etc in my opinion is just more to go wrong.

pisquee
05-11-2013, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=socialgiraffe;78561]That is exactly the reason why I did not go for the Stahls Fusion. Looks like a great machine, but touch screens, recoverable memory press times and pressures etc in my opinion is just more to go wrong.[/QUOTE

... and unnecessary

NikGrey
05-11-2013, 12:43 PM
I think I will buy a new one, for the security that brings alone.

Considering the space I have available - this cheap one will have the hat attachment fitted and be used only for that, I was considering selling it but to have a dedicated Hat/Plate press might be worthwhile as I will be wanting to add things on sleeves etc. in any case, it might be nice to have Two presses.

I always liked this one Ear (http://www.aadkins.com/senior.php) as It doesn't need much room, pops up when ready (as I can get distracted here, quite often) and of course looks 'Cool'. will have a look around today to find out who has these in stock - had a quick look yesterday but had no luck.

Thanks for the offer of the possible press Mr Dragon, much appreciated.

Ah.. Xpress have them, and for what I see as a good price - Thanks Simon. Ear (http://www.xpres.co.uk/p-8247-studio-auto-clam-senior-50cm-x-40cm.aspx?p=55).

purpledragon
05-11-2013, 02:01 PM
I think I will buy a new one, for the security that brings alone.

Considering the space I have available - this cheap one will have the hat attachment fitted and be used only for that, I was considering selling it but to have a dedicated Hat/Plate press might be worthwhile as I will be wanting to add things on sleeves etc. in any case, it might be nice to have Two presses.

I always liked this one Ear (http://www.aadkins.com/senior.php) as It doesn't need much room, pops up when ready (as I can get distracted here, quite often) and of course looks 'Cool'. will have a look around today to find out who has these in stock - had a quick look yesterday but had no luck.

Thanks for the offer of the possible press Mr Dragon, much appreciated.

Ah.. Xpress have them, and for what I see as a good price - Thanks Simon. Ear (http://www.xpres.co.uk/p-8247-studio-auto-clam-senior-50cm-x-40cm.aspx?p=55).
i have one of those auto open its a stahls but identical to that machine so i suppose it must be the same . good bit of kit once you get used to the auto opening bit

NikGrey
05-11-2013, 02:09 PM
The 400x400 is £100 cheaper than the 400x500mm version - Looking at the smaller one I think that will fit in here perfectly. From what I can see the Stahls and Adkins are identical, they are both top names so I suppose Stahls may be the US supplier and Adkins the UK one. There must be a relationship somewhere - I can't see people like that, in this price range ripping each other off in terms of design and components.

Shame we don't have a discount code as premium members for xPress :)

pisquee
05-11-2013, 03:48 PM
I'd highly recommend a swing away press of the more traditional Adkins design - from their Beta range - http://www.aadkins.com/maxi.php
The PressMechs come with 3 different size interchangeable plates, so may be something you're more interested in, although still flat for things like sleeves/collars rather than caps/plates... http://www.pressmech.co.uk/site/index.php?a3-heat-press

NikGrey
05-11-2013, 07:31 PM
I will let you into a little secret here, I pressed about 17 shirts on Simons press yesterday and found it a bit awkward to use - I know I could get used to it in no time but.. here's the little secret - I want my missus to be able to use the press, she doesn't know it yet but I have plans for her :)

P.S. Simon, I have almost perfected the Chinese Shirt folding routine :)

JMugs
05-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Novachrome (Ian if I remember correctly) is a Pressmech and Adkins dealer. But Dick at Pressmech is a character.
I declare an interest in Pressmech as they are building a large one to order for me.

Janners

socialgiraffe
05-11-2013, 11:14 PM
I will let you into a little secret here, I pressed about 17 shirts on Simons press yesterday and found it a bit awkward to use - I know I could get used to it in no time but.. here's the little secret - I want my missus to be able to use the press, she doesn't know it yet but I have plans for her :)

P.S. Simon, I have almost perfected the Chinese Shirt folding routine :)

It would not take long to get used to a swing away. Plus when I had a clam shell I found that positioning transfers for garments took longer. Unless you are getting one with a pull out platen.

Good to hear about the folding :-)