PDA

View Full Version : Cameo ?

NikGrey
20-10-2013, 03:32 PM
I have been making transfers for T-Shirts with my Liyu, printing the designs first and cutting - as you can imagine the possibility of error is there and to be honest it is taking me too long to complete the job.

Sooo, I woke up thinking for a Versacamm until I saw the prices (One day but not yet).. then I took to reading this wonderful forum and the Cameo popped out at me - they are less than £300 also :)

So, first - before I go buying anything do we have a members discount code for a supplier and secondly does anybody have one for sale ?

And... are there any problems with these I should be aware of?

Paul
20-10-2013, 04:23 PM
YOLO sell them and you can use promo code to buy it ;)

socialgiraffe
20-10-2013, 04:27 PM
But isn't a Cameo going to be exactly the same process as you are doing now?

Have you looked at the two part papers from The Magic Touch that are used in conjunction with a laser printer?

Paul
20-10-2013, 04:29 PM
process will be the same but cameo has optical eye. so no errors there when cutting out the transfers.

NikGrey
20-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Yes, Paul has it - that's the problem I am having.. Lining up the Reg marks using the knife, too much room for error. this laser thing on the Liyu is a waste of time.

Yolo is slightly cheaper than BMS with our discount :) Still need to upgrade the software though as need to be able to import things.

Dave271069
20-10-2013, 06:52 PM
The cameo is a great bit of kit for the price. Just wish they did it in a bigger version. For me the software is worth its weight in gold.

Paul
20-10-2013, 06:55 PM
before you go and fork out more money try to calibrate your laser first... May help
http://www.cutterpros.com/blog/2013/09/08/contour-cutter-laser-calibration-using-flexi-starter/

NikGrey
20-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Thats a much nicer way of Calibrating than the video version with the Chinese guy.

BUT, When I get to the 'Cutter Options' screen I have no X and Y settings - this is what has been confusing me since the start as there appears to be no way of setting this up properly, when following the Chinese guy's instructions you can set it up but as soon as you hit 'Reset' (probably to abort a job) the whole thing resets :(

Thanks for that link though, I do appreciate your help.

oh, and I do have the lazer on.

NikGrey
21-10-2013, 01:04 PM
I purchased the Cameo from Yolo last night as I just happened to get paid for a job at the right time. They have also corrected a small problem I had with a product I bought last week from them so all in all I am a happy customer again.

I should have the new machine tomorrow, so, its back to the shirts for me :)

GoldRapt
21-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Nik, let me share something that I learnt only today that you might be able to try on your big cutter.

Take out blade, put in pen, do the normal set up for contour cut with the manual registration with the keys as per Paul's video.
When all four points have been done with the Pen ( you can see the pen dots on the paper see) Put knife back in and jolly well cut away.
I will look at this cameo but Harry at E.M told me they were a good paperweight, anyone own and use one?

Dave271069
21-10-2013, 04:45 PM
I use one, and cut vinyl and flock all day long for tshirts, after a cameo I would be looking at Roland's.

GoldRapt
21-10-2013, 05:21 PM
which one dave? The Stika 15 is £799 GX £1200 and the Graphtec 6000-40 is £899.

tlworkwear
21-10-2013, 05:39 PM
A graphtec CE6000 would be my next one after a Cameo, you would be able to use the same cut files which would be a bonus and sometimes the older CE5000's come up on fleabay which are good value IMO. Its personal preference at the end of the day, there will always be Roland fanboys and Graphtec fanboys and even Summa, which after seeing a demo I consider to be the best cutters but you pay for it. Best to try to get down to a trade show like Printwear & promotion and you can see for yourself exactly what these bad boys can do!

NikGrey
21-10-2013, 10:19 PM
I would be grateful if anybody could let me know when and where the next UK Trade Show is, That would be a great day out.. and an excuse to get rid of some money :)

I tried the manual setup using the pen, I found it was more accurate to use the knife though - but it is very fiddly.

Will let you know how I get on with the Cameo, from what I have seen they are great little machines but we will see.

socialgiraffe
21-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Best one for you Nik is Printwear and Promotion Live which is normally end of Feb

tlworkwear
22-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Here you go mate: http://www.printwearandpromotion.co.uk/files/pplive14/pplive14.html

You need to register but its a great day out and a chance to see all the machines, vinyl and clothing under one roof. Its the main one I go to for the garment side of things until I went to FESPA earlier this year which is HUGE! Both are now on my calendar for next year.

socialgiraffe
22-10-2013, 09:42 AM
FESPA earlier this year which is HUGE! Both are now on my calendar for next year

So are you going to Brazil which is where FESPA is next year?

tlworkwear
22-10-2013, 09:49 AM
lets just say that 1 is a certainty and 1 is the pipe dream lol!

viccar
22-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Im a big fan of the cameo and its software, its used every day, and does exactly what i need. Had it since the first month it came out and never regretted my decision to buy it.

NikGrey
23-10-2013, 12:41 AM
The Cameo came this Morning, Very early at 07:40 but even though I have it beside me, upgraded to the Design software and it is smiling at me (It's beautiful display is on) I have not had a chance to play with it yet as I have had a Nightmare of a day with a 9 colour vinyl job.. I made a mistake which means I need to start again (more money..lol).

I will expand a bit, I have a job of a Logo for the back of a Truck (Already been paid) - Nine colours. So I bought the Vinyl today at x680mm as the job is 350 tall so decided to do this turned around to save vinyl - BIG MISTAKE.. Registration Marks on the widdle on a few (I suspect due to tracking) but the worst bit is the Reg marks were out on the master (Black Outline) so all went to pot.. I need to buy everything again tomorrow in 610mm as this MUST track better due to the width.

I have found that certain layers seem a bit too small, I am using Gold and Silver (Plus other colours of course) M7 from Metamark so not a cheap mistake.

BUT, I will put this down to experience, and bill the missus.

I must say I do love the Cameo already for it's size and looks - It's 'White' = 'Apple' looking :)

windyash
07-11-2013, 12:14 PM
How you getting on with the cameo , Ive had a similiar idea to get one for t shirt logos and smaller stickers

NikGrey
07-11-2013, 01:24 PM
To Be honest I havent had a chance to get to know it - when I get a job I am using the Liyu as I know that machine. I have an opportunity to learn the Cameo now actually as I have no presses at the moment.

From what I have done so-far I think it will be a useful little machine though. Have you been using yours? and what for?

windyash
07-11-2013, 04:01 PM
No I havnt got one yet , but been looking into it as it looks really useful for small logos and stickers etc .

Can see me ordering one very soon , keep us informed on your progress with it

GoldRapt
18-11-2013, 11:47 AM
YOLO sell them and you can use promo code to buy it ;)

Where do I look for the current valid promo codes please, anyone know?

NikGrey
18-11-2013, 12:27 PM
The code has been updated in the members area but I did PM it to you young man.

GoldRapt
18-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Cheers Nik

NikGrey
20-11-2013, 10:34 PM
I need to make some stickers for the bottom of my Mugs and I am finding that the Sticker Paper I have ('Real Colours' Self Adhesive High Glossy Inkjet Photo paper) doesn't like my Cameo - or to be more exact the Cameo doesn't like this paper as it will not read the Registration Marks.

Went to my local stationery shop earlier and the paper they had was over £15 flaming quid - I don't want to take a chance on another pack (as I might have the same problem) so does anybody with a Cameo make stickers ? if so which paper are you using?

GoldRapt
20-11-2013, 11:02 PM
I don't have a cameo but on my robo (before the optic went funny) if it didn't read the reg marks I got a black sharpie and re drew the marks to make them blacker.
Probably doesn't help but might be worth a try.

GoldRapt
26-11-2013, 03:49 PM
So, me xmas pressy Cameo sits there in the box....teasing me and will do so until santa delivers on xmas day LoL

malfunction
26-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't be able to wait till Christmas, id sneak it out of the box, have a play with it then put it back:redface:

Mal

GoldRapt
26-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Hahahahaha, I want too, but I gave my word.

bms
26-11-2013, 09:21 PM
I need to make some stickers for the bottom of my Mugs and I am finding that the Sticker Paper I have ('Real Colours' Self Adhesive High Glossy Inkjet Photo paper) doesn't like my Cameo - or to be more exact the Cameo doesn't like this paper as it will not read the Registration Marks.

Went to my local stationery shop earlier and the paper they had was over £15 flaming quid - I don't want to take a chance on another pack (as I might have the same problem) so does anybody with a Cameo make stickers ? if so which paper are you using?

The way around this is to print the black registration marks onto a piece of matt white sticker (a label) and cut this down in size then lay this printed registration mark precisely over the one on the glossy paper. The Cameo will then read this perfectly.

arko
27-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Now that is an excellent tip bms. +1 :biggrin: