PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl cutting jagged - any ideas?

tlworkwear
23-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Hi Guys,

Been using my Promacut PC720 for a while now and all been going well but recently whenever I cut anything curved then I get a very jagged cut on the vinyl. I'm not too hot on settings but have tried adjusting speed and blade depth but doesn't seem to help. Im using WinPCsign so if anyone is using that software maybe they have some settings that can help. Ive attached a couple of pics to give an idea of the issue as I know its quite hard to explain, hopefully they will help.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2powcn4.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/4s1s7n.jpg

Earl Smith
23-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Im asuming the file has straight lines and not jagged ones. And your blade is a new one.
Can you adjust the pressure and put more grams on the blade? My Roland runs at 80grm but I have to run it up to 120 as the blade is used.

mrs maggot
23-10-2013, 05:58 PM
have you looked at the file in wireframe and is it clean how many nodes, my guess is its either a double image,for some odd known reason, or its not a clean image

arko
23-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Looks a bit like that the original lines were not drawn straight to begin with. Ive tried to do a pic to exaggerate the effect. If you know what I mean? But also looks like yourt graphics are not hand drawn into a programme? They are already made graphics which you just imported into the app?
2023 .......

RogerC
23-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Just a few ideas:

Jagged edge on original image.
Blade damaged.
Blade holder has 'contamination' in it stopping free movement of blade.
As Mrs M said...........double cut lines.

Possible cures:
replace blade.......you can't see by eye if it is damaged.
Clean holder.
Reduce cutting pressure.
Reduce cutting speed to around 10-15.

tlworkwear
25-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

There are no jagged lines or extra nodes on the original image as I created it myself in Illustrator so that can't be the issue. I have now replaced the blade and this has improved the cutting on straight lines but I am still not getting a smooth cut on any sort of arc or round shape. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my software or my cutter though, is there a setting for making curves smoother?

To answer a couple of the other suggestions, I have cleaned the blade holder, reduced and increased cutting pressure as well as cutting speed.

Earl Smith
25-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Another thought. Is your cutting strip nice and smooth? If its old then your blade could be getting caught by that.
Does it do the same with all files?
Can you try another software for the cutter? I use the Roland cut software with mine but can if I have to, cut direct from Corel. If you can do that and still have the jagged edges then its a cutter problem.

Just some thoughts.

tlworkwear
25-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Another thought. Is your cutting strip nice and smooth? If its old then your blade could be getting caught by that.
Does it do the same with all files?
Can you try another software for the cutter? I use the Roland cut software with mine but can if I have to, cut direct from Corel. If you can do that and still have the jagged edges then its a cutter problem.

Just some thoughts.

The cutter is only a couple of months old and just checked and the strip seems to be in good nick, will keep an eye on it though. I haven't been able to set up the cutter on any other software yet but will look into other options. I tested the design with my cameo and it cut perfectly so I know its not the design at least.