PDA

View Full Version : Tracking marks

swimwivsquid
28-05-2010, 08:47 PM
On images that are carrying a lot of ink ie sunsets and bright red nutmeg photos I'm getting little tracking marks as the paper is coming out of the printer (D88) I think its the little spiky wheels that help to guide the paper. Anyone got any tips on how to avoid this. It doesn't seem to happen on lighter images. I'm using Rotech ink with a profile and Texprint paper.
Kind regards all
Richard

bms
29-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Hi Richard,
This is caused as the ink hasn't had time to dry whilst the picture's being printed. This is more noticeable on the high release papers - is the texprint paper called texprint HR? Could try a different paper, but if that's not possible you could get a flat screwdriver to the chrome horizontal role and try to lever that up a fraction to reduce the pressure of the spike wheels on the paper.

Paul
29-05-2010, 10:53 AM
what printer setting r u useing? changein those may help with leaving less ink deposite on paper.

swimwivsquid
29-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi Martin,
Yes it is Texprint HR. I have the paper that you recently supplied, yet to try, so I'll have a go with that. What part do you mean when you refer to the "chrome horizontal role"?
Thanks for the reply.
Richard

bms
29-05-2010, 07:24 PM
chrome horizontal role"?
It's the bar the printer cartridge holder moves back and forth on.

JSR
31-05-2010, 01:11 AM
I haven't had trouble with ink-heavy TexPrint HR but I run my printer (1400) with "High Speed Printing" turned off and with one of the "Glossy" papers set on "Photo" quality. This is a slower, but more accurate, method of printing.

If you have "High Speed Printing" turned on and are using one of the "plain paper" settings, then you're probably printing a lot faster than I am.

Can you turn off "High Speed Printing" for the heavy designs and see if that saves you from having to do any mechanical fiddling?

If not, try going into your Printer Driver properties and check the "Thick paper and envelopes" setting.

swimwivsquid
31-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. Still not much luck. Tried knocking off high speed but still get the marks. Tried the other paper Martin but not sure which side to print on and get other problems. Having a beer now and will try again in the morning.
regards
Richard

bms
01-06-2010, 09:30 PM
not sure which side to print on
You print on the whiter side of the TruPix paper.

swimwivsquid
05-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Tried every which way but still getting the marks. Strange as I don't seem to have had them in the past. Printer is getting a bit old so wondering if there is something with the exit wheels that might need servicing but how do you get them out? Anyone got an exploded diagram of a D88 Epson. Pulling my hair out on this one......

jennywren
05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I had them on my last printer for sub dyeing, I did put a post up but now you've called the trackings marks I recogenise for what it was, it, in the end I had to get another printer. The printer where it had tracking marks it was two years old and was a work horse and I use to yank the paper out when jammed :roll: . I gave it back to my brother who now use it in office, who use it just for invoices and because the paper is thinner and less ink there is no track marks. I always try to recyle what I no longer use

swimwivsquid
08-06-2010, 12:05 AM
OK seemed to have sorted it. Tried slowing the printer down by knocking off high speed printing on the settings that I had for the profile that I am using. Didn't make much difference,still had the marks. However when switching over from photo setting to best photo setting it slowed the printer down further and this time no tracking marks. It lays more ink down perversley but didn't get the tracking wheel marks. Pressed the images using the new settings and they seem fine on most things a little warm on some but I can get around that. Strange thing is that this problem seems to have suddenly materialised recently. Never used to get it before.Gremlins I reckon. Thanks for all your feedback and help guys.
Richard

jennywren
09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I think I talk up the devil, I have track marks :o I have not yankthe paper out this time, its a new printer, what did you change, and how did you do it. desperate

bms
09-06-2010, 11:30 PM
What paper are you using jennywren?

swimwivsquid
10-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Hi Jenny,
I went into the advanced section of the printer dialogue box and used the paper settings that I already had set up except I changed the "Paper and quality options" from "photo" to "best photo" and unticked the high speed box. This seemed to work. It lays down a bit more ink but depending on the subject is not really noticable.It really slowed the printer down. Just unticking the highspeed box on "photo quality" didn't make any difference. Still got the marks
My original settings for the rotech profile were :Epson Matt paper-high speed-photo quality. This is what the profile was originally created with. However since the tracking marks I have modified it to .....Epson Matt-best photo-edge smoothing(ticked) This has got id of them
Hope this helps.
Regards Richard

jennywren
10-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I only use tex print.

swimwivsquid
10-06-2010, 12:22 AM
I only use tex print.
Thats the same paper that I have been using. Texprint HR

Kaz
10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I had it yesterday, on one sheet of paper out of a run of 10 sheets, and I'm using Tru-pix paper.

Having said that, the printer had been off for a couple of days, and not sure if it happened because the printer was doing it's "clean up act" so to speak. :?

Hopefully it won't happen again today. ;)

jennywren
10-06-2010, 09:31 PM
I've printed off what you've advise lets keep our fingers cross its only on this set up wiil up load for you to look, on all other mugsdesign it does'nt show, that was the problem before. Cant get this sizing of any suggestion.

jennywren
10-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Ready to throw the printer out that print of the whitby took forwever if i had to print 100 of them it would not be practable. i have to cooked them yet, sometimes you can't see them till its on the mug. My stress levels are hign any more suggestion.

bms
10-06-2010, 10:56 PM
If you're using the HR version of Texprint then the lines are more likely to be present as the ink doesn't dry quickly. The TruPix paper is instant dry - if you pm your address to me I'll drop a few sheets in the post tomorrow for you to try.

jennywren
13-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I did order the paper that Bms recommend and it did dry quicker. I did 6 mugs with the paper that I got from Bms, had no track marks. when I have used 50 sheets of this paper I will be back to give a more fair account. It did dry quicker and it did'nt catch in the printer and it was on quick print. The only thing that made a differece to us was you could not see the design through the paper for when we had to line up the design on the mug, but if it cures my tracking marks then that is a small price to pay. I have to have precise colours and that came through. I'm not sure what the diffrence is between the two paper maybe Bms can give more detail. I normally use TexPrintxp hr version. Will keep you up to date.

jennywren
15-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Would like to say a big thank you to Bms the paper is answer :D We did a test print of 10 sheets of each paper and the same image. we used coaster to test final outcome and the Trupix left no tracking marks and my tex print coaster all had tracking marks. It nice to have that condifence when printing again. So many thanks once again printing peace lives in my house.

bms
15-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks jennywren ;) Glad it's all sorted now.