PDA

View Full Version : Application Film Distorting/Shrinking.

NikGrey
30-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi Folks,

Noob again.

I have an order for Black Tee's - Simon was kind enough to make me the transfers and they are great.

But a question:

I am pressing these for Ten seconds - I have an Infrared Thermometer to check the press for fluctuations, it gets to about 155c on full but the instructions tell me 165c (So, I'm thinking another couple of seconds pressing to work around that). My question is..

The Application Film is deforming, as if it is getting too hot - is this to be expected?

This material is 'Evolution' which is sold by Grafityp

purpledragon
30-10-2013, 07:02 PM
How does the finished product look?
If it looks good no problem, the only thing i would say is adding a few seconds to compensate for not high enough temp may not work. Some of these transfers vinyls etc have a glue that activates at a certain tempriture simply adding time may not work

RogerC
30-10-2013, 08:02 PM
I use Siser PU from Grafityp and, from their catalogue, it looks to be the same application process. I have never had any problems like those you are having though I do press at the correct temperature/time so that 'might' be the source of yours. As the transfer film is reuseable for up to 5 applications there is obviously something quite wrong here.

I would call Grafityp if I were you and speak to them......they are very helpful people.

NikGrey
30-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Exactly, Simon told me the application film could be used again - he said up to 4 times. there's no way I could use the test One again.

Simon gave me a number to call and a contact name, I did call at 6pm but was too late - will try again tomorrow.

I am pleased to say, however that the whole surface of my heat press is within 5c and I think that's quite impressive for a budget press.

Oh, and this distortion pulled some of the letters out of place so it's all stop on that front until I get it sorted.

RogerC
30-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Just another thing to make sure of as you said it was lifting letters...........pressure should be high.....and they mean 'high'. I had some 'lifting' problems initially but on calling Grafityp they said 'up the pressure' so I did....to what I thought was extremely high...and it worked.
Also remember to 'hot peel'.........I peel the transfer sheet as soon as it is not so hot as to burn my fingers and I do it on the press.

socialgiraffe
30-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Hi niK

as you know I am in France at the mo and roger is kindly stepping into the breach :-)

firstly your press needs to be 165 degrees. 155 is simply not hot enough. Try upping the pressure as well. The application film should peel off in one very easy motion if you peel hot. Also as mentioned on email, you are removing the transfer from the backing sheet arn't you?

Roger. Just so you know, This particular transfer material is a new "sports vinyl" from target transfers. They kept pestering me so I decided to try a roll. However I printed about 25 transfers with it before inks and it behaved perfectly.

Nik, I am back Sunday so can always swing by to sort the issue out

NikGrey
31-10-2013, 12:30 AM
I will call Sophie tomorrow to see what she say's - it DOES look like another Press is on the cards though, I already regret buying what seemed like a well priced '5 in 1 press' (as a Noob).

Simon, if you do end up 'Swinging By' I will (The Missus will I mean - She likes to make Tea) make you a nice cup of Tea in One of my new Mug's :)

The old press will most likely sell on a popular auction site.

NikGrey
31-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Sent Sophie an image, awaiting reply.

I also spoke to the people I bought the press from, the press is not getting to the temperature shown on the display - I just tested it again.. allowed it ten minutes to heat the whole area and could not get it to go over 300f so they are collecting it tomorrow to check it.

They don't have any presses to leave with me whilst this is all going on so I will be press less for a while, but at least they are helping me out and for that I am most thankful.

RogerC
31-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Sent Sophie an image, awaiting reply.

I also spoke to the people I bought the press from, the press is not getting to the temperature shown on the display - I just tested it again.. allowed it ten minutes to heat the whole area and could not get it to go over 300f so they are collecting it tomorrow to check it.

They don't have any presses to leave with me whilst this is all going on so I will be press less for a while, but at least they are helping me out and for that I am most thankful.
Keep an eye on 'evilbay' for a Stahls press.............they come up occasionally and are brilliant. I did just that and got an almost new one for well under half the retail price............mind you I did have to do a 450 mile round trip to get it......(promised SWMBO a weekend away as 'camouflage' for the real reason....hehe)