PDA

View Full Version : Best way to check Platen Temperature?

Stitch Up
30-05-2010, 09:13 AM
What is the best way of measuring the actual temperature of ones heat press platen? I know I could buy one of those infra-red temperature thermometers from China but I want something I can rely on as being accurate every time.

I did see a Fluke laser gauge on Ebay - Fluke is a good brand, but I was out bid :(

I need to be sure my platen is reaching the displayed temperature accurately. My Neoflex DTG arrives in June and I don't want to leave things to chance :lol:

My Press is a Adkins pneumatic Beta Major - quite expensive so maybe they're equipped with an accurate thermo regulator?

John

bms
30-05-2010, 10:54 AM
We use the infra red thermometers - Maplin sell them for around 20 pounds
When is the problem with the pound sign going to be fixed??? :twisted:

Stitch Up
31-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the reply Martin,

My understanding of cheap infra red/laser temperature guns is they're dreadfully inaccurate.

John

Justin
31-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I've borowed an infra red thermometer (Precision Gold) Hadn't realised how cheap these were....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221048

Not sure how accurate they are, we use them on fridges etc. at work and they seem ok. Just takent the temp. of my 2 flat presses. Adkins appears to be 10-20c higher with the therm. and cheaper press similar maybe a bit more.

I know I can re-calibrate the cheaper press, sure there's a way with the Adkins as well, waiting to find out. Just not sure if I should calibrate based on the therm. readings?

edit: Temps match on therm. and press up to about 70/80c and then the difference starts to appear.

Justin
31-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Maybe a bit hasty taking the temps. Surprised to see the Adkins was out so I've taken readings at set temps. I've made sure the press was left for a good few minutes once it reahed it's temp. and all looks ok, pretty much spot on right through from 50c - 200c. If I take a reading whilst it's heating up, the display may read 170c but actual temp. is 185-190c. Moral of this story, wait a while once the display says it's up to temp! :D