PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Bags Scorching

Justin
31-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Just had a friend visit who is printing designs onto 100% cotton, natural shopping bags. They're printing using iron-on paper but not happy with the finish.

I suggested vinyl or digital transfer as a good alternative. I pressed a bag for them using one of their paper which details that it can be heat pressed, 160c for 40 seconds. Transfer adhered well but very slight colour change between pressed/unpressed areas. It appears this is down to a high oil content in the bags.

Would pressing vinyl at a lower temp. give the same problem? Would we be better off sourcing different bags?

TransferGraeme
31-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Were the bags made in the Indian sub-continent?

A problem with heat-pressing fabric products from that part of the world can be the insecticide sprays/treatments which have to be applied to products from that part of the world which can cause discolouration under a heat press. There are sprays which don't discolour which good suppliers will ensure are used but they are a more expensive option and not used as standard.

A simple solution can be to put the bags in the tumble dryer for 10-15 minutes at a medium heat - doesn't always work but will in 80% of cases by my experience!

Justin
31-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks Graeme. Not sure where they're made, I'll try and find out. She's left me a bag here to play with so I'll have a go with the tumble dry technique!

Justin
31-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Looks like they were indeed made over that way. Anyone know of any that can be sourced who don't use the sprays?

Kaz
31-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Surely those would be better for screen printing? :?

Justin
31-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Yes they would. My friend sells them to fund a scrapbook hobby though so it's very small numbers and easier to do in-house for that reason.
She's looking at getting a flat press having seen mine today so I'd advised she start to use either vinyl or digital transfers :)

TransferGraeme
01-06-2010, 09:51 AM
In my experience the Westford Mill and Quadra bags available from UKL, Pencarrie, etc are pretty safe for pressing.

gstk
11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
In my experience the Westford Mill and Quadra bags available from UKL, Pencarrie, etc are pretty safe for pressing.

ditto - very good (apart from the odd crease you cant get out)