PDA

View Full Version : Ricoh 3110DN Pigment Ink ?

NikGrey
08-11-2013, 03:46 PM
I want to print onto Vinyl, would love to have identical printers with different inks - One for DyeSub which I have and the other hopefully another Ricoh with Pigment Ink in.

Does the Ricoh come as standard with the correct type of Pigment ink for vinyl printing?

If so these inks should be cheap from the people who sell the DyeSub Ricoh's - Like BMS for example (where my Ricoh is from).

OR am I barking up the wrong tree?

I just want to be sure before I buy one.

bms
08-11-2013, 07:02 PM
You can print onto vinyl with sublimation ink. We have white sublimation vinyl for example and is ideal for small
stickers. If by 'vinyl' you mean tshirt flex or similar then again the sublimation printer can be used with subliflock or sublidark for putting full colour onto dark garments.

...and as I've said before we have stacks of unused Ricoh cartridges. There's only so many you can use with office printers and home printers! When we moved to our new premises we threw away hundreds of sets of Ricoh cartridges.

NikGrey
08-11-2013, 07:07 PM
What I want to be able to do is make stickers, like warning stickers for machinery - outdoor stickers, stickers for front doors etc. If the standard ink that comes with the Ricoh is suitable and I buy another machine from you will you be able to throw a few sets in for me?
I am concerned that the Pigment ink used is water based, and I need solvent based stuff - this was the main reason I asked here :)

bms
08-11-2013, 07:31 PM
What I want to be able to do is make stickers, like warning stickers for machinery - outdoor stickers, stickers for front doors etc. If the standard ink that comes with the Ricoh is suitable and I buy another machine from you will you be able to throw a few sets in for me?
I am concerned that the Pigment ink used is water based, and I need solvent based stuff - this was the main reason I asked here :)

Don't believe the normal inks in Ricoh printers are pigment inks. Solvent inks would be best for outdoor stickers as these will last the longest. Indoor stickers can be done with sub inks, laser printers and many other printers.

smo
08-11-2013, 07:46 PM
The standard Ricoh ink is not solvent ink and it wont work on normal vinyl.

NikGrey
08-11-2013, 07:59 PM
From what I can make out it is Water Based Pigment Ink, I realise I would need a certain type of vinyl - just wondering if the water based pigment and suitable vinyl would do the job.

With either a clear coat of another vinyl before cutting or a spray sealer. I would like another Ricoh to replace my Canon (one on top of the other) but trying to justify it :) .. if I can find the standard Ink cheap (Wink Wink BMS) then that might go some way to justifying it.

bms
08-11-2013, 08:42 PM
From what I can make out it is Water Based Pigment Ink, I realise I would need a certain type of vinyl - just wondering if the water based pigment and suitable vinyl would do the job.

With either a clear coat of another vinyl before cutting or a spray sealer. I would like another Ricoh to replace my Canon (one on top of the other) but trying to justify it :) .. if I can find the standard Ink cheap (Wink Wink BMS) then that might go some way to justifying it.

If you want to get another SG3110 from us I'll fill the box up with normal ink cartridges free of charge (wink wink!). Just got to work out the price of the printer now :)

NikGrey
09-11-2013, 11:30 AM
All sorted, Now I don't need to worry about running out of ink for the general printer - in any case it will look nice having Two of the same machine. I'm thinking of making video's so have to worry about what everything looks like here.

Sawgrass
11-11-2013, 10:26 AM
You can print onto vinyl with sublimation ink. We have white sublimation vinyl for example and is ideal for small
stickers. If by 'vinyl' you mean tshirt flex or similar then again the sublimation printer can be used with subliflock or sublidark for putting full colour onto dark garments.

...and as I've said before we have stacks of unused Ricoh cartridges. There's only so many you can use with office printers and home printers! When we moved to our new premises we threw away hundreds of sets of Ricoh cartridges.

Martin, why not donate the OEM carts to charities or local schools? They would love to have them..

bms
11-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Martin, why not donate the OEM carts to charities or local schools? They would love to have them..

I guess if the schools/ charities have the printers then they are useable, otherwise they have no real value. Have offered them many times on here, ebay at next to nothing and no takers so when we moved there were hundreds thrown away. We now use these printers in the office just to use the cartridges up!