PDA

View Full Version : laser printing onto CPM paper

mrs maggot
02-06-2010, 10:45 PM
im printing using my black and white laser printer onto magic touch CPM paper and then pressing onto mugs which are coated

they look fine, but i want to ask a few questions (i know there was talk of doing a step by step guide - but i cant find it)

the paper says "apply heat for glossy finish and higher durability" - do they mean re-press once the image is on the mug ??

should i be able to scratch it off ?? with my nail, it scratches - i wondered if this was a sign that i had done something wrong - or is that to be expected ?

it tells me to press at 180 for 120 seconds, the press drops down in temp for a while once the mug goes in, i have had them in the sunshine to minimise this - but should i try a higher temp ?

it tells me to peel when its cold which i have done, and it peels well, the image which is wording rather than a photo and it does not cover the whole mug - is that an issue

i have heard mention of mug dunking - do i need to do that, will it affect pulling the paper off after ??

bms
02-06-2010, 11:19 PM
should i be able to scratch it off ?? with my nail, it scratches - i wondered if this was a sign that i had done something wrong - or is that to be expected ?
The CPM material sticks to the outside of the mug as opposed to sublimation which goes inside the glaze of the mug. So, yes you would be able to scratch it off is you had a go at it.

it tells me to press at 180 for 120 seconds
Is the image okay? If not then press for say 30 seconds longer.

it tells me to peel when its cold which i have done, and it peels well, the image which is wording rather than a photo and it does not cover the whole mug - is that an issue
Did you want the wording to cover the whole mug? It's not a problem to have white space on the mug if that's your concern.

mrs maggot
02-06-2010, 11:43 PM
thanks martin, you have answered my questions, i think i might have been panicking a bit

i still dont understand if i have to repress them once the paper is off to make them "shiney"

bms
03-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Not too sure about the "shiney" issue, but perhaps it's worthwhile putting one back in the press with a sheet of silicon paper around it for 40 seconds to see if that gives it a gloss finish.

mrs maggot
04-06-2010, 01:03 PM
i had not realised that there were 2 different sorts of mugs - apparently i need the ones with a polyester finish rather than the sub mugs

i would love a an at a glance guide to the different process for the different copier types etc

John G
04-06-2010, 02:39 PM
From what I have read on other posts - you can use any type of mug for laser prints which include the cheapy 3 for a quid asda used to do. To make them shiny I think you need to be using an oven rather than a press - once the image has been baked on take the paper off and place back in the ovenn for the same amount of time.

Just what I have read mind you!

bms
04-06-2010, 03:47 PM
apparently i need the ones with a polyester finish rather than the sub mugs
Sublimation mugs do have a polyester finish - these are the same.

CPM on the otherhand sticks to uncoated mugs, but the quality isn't the same as sublimation (and even TMT admit that).