PDA

View Full Version : B grade cameo @ £200

malfunction
01-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Don't know if this is of any use to anyone but Graphtec are doing b grade cameos for £200 inc p&p, they are customer returns from shopping channel, all inspected and missing parts replaced and come with full warranty.
About £40 cheaper than cheapest new one iv'e seen.
here's a link to them but you may need to register.

http://www.graphtecgb.co.uk/shop/default.asp?category=20130114102703_GRAPHTEC

Mal

NikGrey
01-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Don't forget you will need to shell out a further £30 to upgrade the software to the Designer edition.

bms
01-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Don't know if this is of any use to anyone but Graphtec are doing b grade cameos for £200 inc p&p, they are customer returns from shopping channel, all inspected and missing parts replaced and come with full warranty.
About £40 cheaper than cheapest new one iv'e seen.
here's a link to them but you may need to register.

http://www.graphtecgb.co.uk/shop/default.asp?category=20130114102703_GRAPHTEC

Mal

These deals are very good value for money. Graphtec sell a lot through the shopping channels and will always get some returns. Full warranty is supplied as well so an excellent deal all round. If you're thinking of getting one, then you'll not get a better price than this.

malfunction
02-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Don't forget you will need to shell out a further £30 to upgrade the software to the Designer edition.

It would cost the extra £30 to upgrade if you bought the cameo at full retail too. It's not essential to have designer edition, designs can be done in other software and imported.

Mal

Dave271069
02-12-2013, 12:05 PM
ive been using the cameo for a good while now and still havent upgraded the software, to be honest i cant see anything it does that i need. good price though for anyone that wants a great little machine.

spongerobinson
02-12-2013, 12:21 PM
ive been using the cameo for a good while now and still havent upgraded the software, to be honest i cant see anything it does that i need. good price though for anyone that wants a great little machine.

likewise, we've had it nearly a year and still use the free edition. we tend to do all our designs in illustrator and import from there for cutting.

GoldRapt
02-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I bought mine from Yolo so too late for me, can't open until xmas day though :-)

Dave271069
02-12-2013, 12:41 PM
I bought mine from Yolo so too late for me, can't open until xmas day though :-)
you wont regret it,
if i bought a fullsize roland today i would still keep my cameo for the desktop stuff.

malfunction
02-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Yours will be a brand spanker though Tony, nobody else's grubby mitts been on it. only 3 weeks and 3 days to go !!

GoldRapt
02-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Yours will be a brand spanker though Tony, nobody else's grubby mitts been on it. only 3 weeks and 3 days to go !!

Very true Mal, it sits there though all wrapped up..........teasing me LoL

malfunction
02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Very true Mal, it sits there though all wrapped up..........teasing me LoL

Sorry Tony, couldn't resist lol !!

GoldRapt
02-12-2013, 01:53 PM
hahahahahaha. excellent

malfunction
13-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Not long now Tony, or have you weakened lol

arko
13-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Sorry Tony, couldn't resist lol !!

hahahaha.... you know you want to!.... nearly spillt my beer again! :wink:

GoldRapt
13-12-2013, 08:27 PM
No, I have kept my word to the mrs.
I have been trying (and failing) to learn how to do multi- layer stencils in silhouette studio.
I have got two colour down but there must be a quick way of doing it.

malfunction
13-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Well done Tony,
I don't use silhouette studio but is this the sort of thing you mean.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Tip-for-Aligning-Layers-in-Silhouette-Studio/

Mal

GoldRapt
13-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Nearly, thats aligning, I have to work out the breaking apart by colour first :-)

NikGrey
22-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Quick Tip..

Dont take ALL of the glue off of the Mat, it is too sticky at first and paper sticks to it a bit too well.

Dab the mat with a cotton shirt for a while - Dont do what I did and take it all off, I have to hold anything in place now with tape.

Oh, and you have probably already seen my 'Sketch Pen' mod for the cameo - that will save you a few sheckles.

If you missed it, it's Ear. (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?8267-Silhouette-Cameo-Sketch-Pen-%28Cheap-Version%29&highlight=cameo)

NikGrey
25-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Tony - How did your first date with Cameo go ?

GoldRapt
25-12-2013, 08:34 PM
I've been so busy entertaining my family all I managed to do was unwrap the paper and then put it away Nik. Funny I was just saying the same to the wife.
It will be out of the box tomorrow when I have some piee and quiet.

GoldRapt
07-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Well, I have been playing with the cameo and it is a great little machine, tons better than my craft robo.
However there is one thing that's wrong with it..............ME !!
As a test cut I decided on a simple Dakar image to test the trace with a print and cut with no reg marks.
I was previously told by Harry at E.Mathias never to use the cameo without the cutting blade to prolong the life of the blade.
I used normal printer paper, the cheapo stuff from ASDA and printed out the piece.
I put it on the brand new cutting mat and the first thing the machine told me was that the rollers where in the wrong place.
The instruction book told me how to move them by twisting but I can't manage to unlock it, probably cos I am scared to break it.
Then I realised that i hadn't put the mat in properly, so I got it to cut, i used the settings suggested: Blade 1 and thickness and speed preset by the software.
Taking the cut out, the first thing I realise is that the paper is STUCK....Bad. The cut needs to be tighter and that's my fault by not getting the offset quite right or not using the reg marks and eyeballing the line up.
The cutting mat, well that's screwed with the reside of paper left behind and I notice the blade scored the mat so the software thickness setting might not be quite so reliable.
I use a razor blade to clean up the mat and then washed it so it can be used again but I am wary of putting paper straight onto it.
Here is a picture of the test cut.
Does anyone use the cameo without the cutting mat when using something like paper lease? I imagine vinyl, being on waxed paper doesn't stick.

NikGrey
07-01-2014, 02:59 PM
I had to get rid of the glue and now I use tape to hold the paper in place when cutting. my mat is also scored all over the place but it doesnt really matter.

The thing you need to watch if you dont use a mat (which I did in testing) is that you dont cut the little strip under where the blade travels as if you do you will notice where it has been damaged when cutting as there will be a dip - and you might notice that the material has not been cut in that particular spot.

GoldRapt
07-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Yes, that was the point Harry was making so I will have to find a work around for plain paper/water slide etc.