PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating Adkins Heat Presses.

NikGrey
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
My press was heating to 20c below the displayed temp. Apparently I have the 'Newer Controller' so this may not work with all Adkins presses.
xPress were quick to help me get this sorted, Adkins called me late on a Friday which I thought was great.

Here's the procedure.

Allow press to heat to a set temperature - I used 200c.

Push 'DOWN' and then 'UP' in quick succession FOUR times (Actually arrow pointing right and arrow pointing up in my case) until 'ADJ' displays:

http://nikgrey.com/DSF/adkins-calibration.jpg

Measure the actual temperature of your Platen - I use an Infra Red Thermometer. Get the average temp of all parts of the platen (Mine varied only 2c) .

Use the arrow on the right (Pointing up) to increase the displayed temperature reading, or the arrow on the left (Pointing Right) to decrease - when it displays the actual temperature of the Platen push 'Mode' to set it.

This has worked for me, the only problem is I have seen 'H-F' on the display a couple of times and I have no idea what this means. I will be back in contact with Adkins in order to make sure everything is ok.

******** Update ***********

I received a new controller board quite quickly from Adkins, this was Friday afternoon and by the time I had fitted it the Adkins staff had gone home.

I was still having no joy so today I called the engineer - there were a small number of these presses that were sent out that hadn't been calibrated so I was given the procedure:

http://nikgrey.com/DSF/jumper.jpg

There is a Jumper top right (J8 & J10) - you need to find another jumper and put it over J8 (completing the circuit between the two pins of J8) - you need to LEAVE the jumper ON J10. so when doing this procedure you have BOTH J8 and J10 with the black jumper bridges on. (You can find another Jumper bridge on the back of a hard drive - they are all the same).

You can do this without taking the controller case completely apart - just use a long pair of Tweezers to put on and take off the jumper bridge.

Put it together enough so you cant touch any live components inside when you power it up again - turn it on.

Procedure:

Push 'Mode' Button EIGHT TIMES until 100 is displayed.
Use the > button to select each character as you usually do when setting times/temps - set the display to read 160.
Push 'Mode' to confirm.

Remove Power Cable.

Open the case again and remove the jumper on J8 (the top one of the Two) - out the case back together properly.

Turn the press on - set the temp to anything - I use 100c for testing. allow Platen to reach 100 and check the temp of the Platen - if it is out go back to the first procedure in this post to adjust the temp.

If the press will not reach 100 (or what ever you set it at) - then you may have to send it back to Adkins.

I am having to send mine back.

Dave271069
06-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Nice post nik

JMugs
06-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Very surprised it wasn't calibrated at the factory, thought that was what the black cloth was about.
All good though as you have it sorted.
Janners.

NikGrey
06-12-2013, 09:35 PM
I asked about the Black Cloth - that's done at 230c to test for even heat. if mine was -20 it still would have been 210c so still would have worked.

pisquee
06-12-2013, 09:51 PM
This should be probably be a sticky post somewhere

JBDesign
09-12-2013, 10:23 AM
My Stahls came with a rectangle of black cloth neatly laid in it. I wondered what that was about. Now I know, thanks ;-) It seems very even, which is encouraging.

NikGrey
09-12-2013, 02:02 PM
I posted an image of that for this very reason, I just went back to edit keywords so it can be found in a search but it looks like I cant - so I edited the title instead:

It's Ear (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?8262-Adkins-Test-Print-Black-cloth-inside-new-Press&p=79782#post79782).

Boosh101
10-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Sorry if in wrong place I'm a newbie
Hi there I'm lee and looking for help when buying my first flat heat press for t shirt printing. I have found this one but is it any good ?
Any help is appreciated.

http://www.monsterdoodles.co.uk/pixmax_and_8482_38x38cm_flat_swing_heat_press.html ?category_id=0&search_string=Pixmax+38x38cm

NikGrey
10-12-2013, 07:19 PM
I found out today why the Adkins, and other quality presses last so long and the reason the heat is so accurate across the whole of the platen - it's because the quality ones dont have a heating element inside like a cooker has - these are solid Aluminium blocks with the elements built in.

Its quite hard to explain but I am sure some will know what I mean.

Boosh, I'm sure someone here will have experienced the press you are asking about.

spongerobinson
10-12-2013, 09:10 PM
we use the exact same press. all I can really say is it seems to do the job for most things we do.

the base isn't very heavy really, so if you swing it around too far it can tip back. been thinking of ways to secure the base to our desk to prevent this happening!

I haven't got around to checking the temperature accuracy yet, as don't have a laser thermometer at the moment.

Sorry if in wrong place I'm a newbie
Hi there I'm lee and looking for help when buying my first flat heat press for t shirt printing. I have found this one but is it any good ?
Any help is appreciated.

http://www.monsterdoodles.co.uk/pixmax_and_8482_38x38cm_flat_swing_heat_press.html ?category_id=0&search_string=Pixmax+38x38cm

Boosh101
10-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Awesome thanks sorry for multiple posting.

NikGrey
18-12-2013, 03:32 PM
I Have updated the first post in this thread with more detail - another procedure.

spongerobinson
18-12-2013, 11:05 PM
thanks for the update nik! Personally if it was me, I'd be asking them to send me a new press that they had calibrated, instead of having to play around with jumpers and hoping that your infrared thermometer is correct. Not like the press would've been cheap to buy, so I would think they should probably do a bit more about it!

NikGrey
18-12-2013, 11:44 PM
It is going back on Friday - they have been helpful, can't fault them.

And No it wasn't cheap, if it was a cheap One I could forgive a small issue. I just want this to do what it is supposed to, and very well.

NikGrey
20-02-2014, 05:47 PM
OK, as of yesterday I have my original Press back with a new controller.

They had sent me a bigger one 400x500 which I thought was a replacement with a little bonus (the extra size) but yesterday I get a call from a man in a white van letting me know he was close and wanted to exchange the presses.. would have been nice to be told of this in advance, I could easily have been away.

So, I now have my New press again (the replacement was a little used) - but I am back to 400x400.

Just wanted to update anybody following this saga.

RogerC
20-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Nik you've got more patience than me.....this has been going on for over 2 months with an 'Adkins'? I would have been after a replacement after a week. As for fitting different 'bits' myself.....no way. It's not a cheap press so a replacement pdq would have been my avenue.

I applaud your patience......

pisquee
20-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Had they not told you the replacement sent to you was on loan whilst yours was being repaired, was there an implication to say anything of what it was?
What if you had pretended to be out when the white van man turned up?

This seems very strange non-communication from Adkins.

arthur.daley
24-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Had they not told you the replacement sent to you was on loan whilst yours was being repaired, was there an implication to say anything of what it was?
What if you had pretended to be out when the white van man turned up?

This seems very strange non-communication from Adkins.

Is this Adkins or Xpres???

NikGrey
24-02-2014, 01:09 PM
I bought it from xPress but it was Adkins who were dealing with the repair.

There was the same issue with a similar press just up the road from me, at the same time so we both got our presses back on the same day as the van was in our area.

NikGrey
02-03-2014, 08:02 PM
.. issed off now - it's happened again:

http://nikgrey.com/demo-images/aadkins-again.jpg

pisquee
02-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Argh ... that doesn't look like an Adkins control unit, or press design - is this one of their new Chinese models?

NikGrey
02-03-2014, 08:16 PM
It's this one:
http://www.aadkins.com/junior.php

spongerobinson
02-03-2014, 09:30 PM
thats not good Nik, especially when you've just launched your site. I'd be onto them first thing in the morning giving them a bollocking. In my opinion they should have a brand new press sent to you by next day delivery for Tuesday. Thats what I'd be looking for at the very least anyway.

.. issed off now - it's happened again:

http://nikgrey.com/demo-images/aadkins-again.jpg

NikGrey
02-03-2014, 10:12 PM
No more Mr Nice Guy now - had enough of this.

Will sort it tomorrow.

arthur.daley
02-03-2014, 10:18 PM
if you go quoting the sale of goods act to Xpres they ought to sit up and take notice but I suspect that they may argue that as you have had the press for more than 3 months now they are not under any obligation to replace it.

However given the amount of time that it has actually been operational I think that trading standards would back you all the way.

Personally I would be telling them that i no longer want this press as 'it is not of merchantable quality' and nor is it 'fit for purpose'.

I would be pushing for a complete refund and take my business elsewhere.

Personally, I was really unimpressed that they were prepared to send out a circuit board for you to fit in the first place. You may well be quite capable of fitting it but they don't know that for sure and their average customer really shouldn't be poking around the insides of a mains powered device,

I somehow doubt that a cash refund is likely without threats of the small claims courts - which you would have to be prepared to back up if they still don't play ball. I don't know if you have just been unlucky with your press or how many other people here have the same one. After 2 failed controllers I think its time to move on to a different model - maybe the swing away that TMT do, more money but if it were me with another replacement clam press I would constantly be concerned that the controller will go phut yet again - probably just out of the warranty period. On the subject of which - the 12 month warranty will have started on the day you received the press and runs out 12 months from that date and not 12 months from the date you finally get a reliable press.

Has anyone from Xpres commented on the Forum about your press Nik?

Might also be worth speaking to Adkins themselves and ask if they have had problems with this controller.

pisquee
02-03-2014, 10:52 PM
It's this one:
http://www.aadkins.com/junior.php

Ah, in my mind Adkins presses are the Beta models, and some of the older Omegas. The newer Omegas and Studio ranges just look too much like generic Chinese models for me to consider them to be 'proper' Adkins presses.

NikGrey
03-03-2014, 04:06 PM
In an ideal World, if I had the space I would have bought a Beta Maxi - even though I have just moved offices again (3rd time, getting bigger and bigger as I go) I still dont have the space to dedicate to one of those properly - I would want to be able to swing the head all the way around to get a full view of the platen.

Those Beta's are very well built, and have a lifetime warranty on the heating element.

I just got off the phone with Adkins GM who was very good, I will have a new press tomorrow - there is clearly something wrong with this One as I have been through 3x controllers now, I may have just been unlucky.
I am happy with the build quality of this press - to all intents and purposes it is the same as the Stahls, apart from some minor bells and whistles.

Maybe I should have gone to the top before rather than being Mr Nice Guy and trying to sort it our with the service dept. let's hope the new one is ok - I will certainly be putting it through its paces as if its going to fail again it needs to do so whilst it is still within the 12 months. I have until November 22nd.

They have the new one on a bench now, testing it to make sure everything is as it should be.

pisquee
03-03-2014, 04:23 PM
I will certainly be putting it through its paces as if its going to fail again it needs to do so whilst it is still within the 12 months. I have until November 22nd.

That's definitely not a date that you want anything breaking!

NikGrey
22-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Guess what, my Electro Magnet is either not working or is too weak to hold the press down :(

JMugs
22-03-2014, 05:43 PM
I feel for you on this. I would have been demanding my money back at this point or an amazing deal on a swing press and knock hole in the wall.

Most of us know there is nothing clever about a press, and for it to not work properly actually requires a severe level of incompetence and/or cost cutting of components. One off..OK that happens, repeat failures as you have had well...not good.

Janners

RogerC
22-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Get it on it's way back Nik and get a Stahls Maxx........manual opening but a lovely press.

pisquee
22-03-2014, 09:49 PM
I'd be demanding my money back to get a PressMech, or a free upgrade to a proper Adkins Beta.

NikGrey
22-03-2014, 10:11 PM
ok, I have fixed it - The thread on the (electrical connection) plug was tight so it seemed like it was turned as far home as possible but it had another 3 turns which were not obvious (So it could have been an intermittent connection).

And then, I took the magnet out to inspect that - there was an odd arrangement of rubber, aluminium and 2 steel washers - this combination meant that the magnet would wobble about and if it didn't make a full enough connection to its associated pick up plate then it would fail to hold the press down.

I have fixed everything - it is now working far better than probably a lot of new machines out there today.

I shouldn't have to inspect and assemble things properly myself - I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have the confidence to carry out this simple task.

I put this latest issue down to careless assembly.

pisquee
22-03-2014, 10:50 PM
... downhill since they stopped manufacture in UK and outsourced to China. The newer Sutdio Adkins range don't look very 'Adkins' and do appear in style to be branded Chinese designs.

RogerC
23-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Nik you have the patience of a Saint matey............I would have been at the office trying to shove it where the sun doesn't shine if I had the problems you've encountered.