PDA

View Full Version : Sublimation printers

Mattie
06-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi

I have a epson BX310FN and a epson SX115 lying about which have not been used i was wondering would one of these or both be suitable to use as a sublimation printer any help would be great.

Paul
06-06-2010, 11:18 AM
helo mate! they propobly would but this is no about printer. is all about support. sawgrass do not support those printers so you wont find ICC for it.

Mattie
06-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks for info paul. I think i'm going to have to buy proper sublimation and face the music the computer who sold me the S21 have ripped me off (i even bought 2 of them).

Kaz
06-06-2010, 11:47 AM
How long ago did you buy them?

Can you not do returns under the DSRs?

Mattie
06-06-2010, 12:01 PM
How long ago did you buy them?

Can you not do returns under the DSRs?

Had them about 2 weeks now, I rather just keep them want nothing more to do with company they over 4 weeks to send everything i was supposed to get in package and it took many calls and emails to get stuff sent so would rather not deal with them trying to get a refund.

Paul
06-06-2010, 01:25 PM
well..;. keep those printers and get custom made profile. so you kac have them as back up?

bms
06-06-2010, 02:08 PM
I have a epson BX310FN and a epson SX115 lying about which have not been used i was wondering would one of these or both be suitable to use as a sublimation printer

Sorry Matthew, these printers are supported with either an ink system or profile. You options for a supported printer, colour management and inks are going to be:
A4: Ricoh GXe3300 (ICC Profile or PowerDriver - supplied)
A4: Epson B40W (ICC Profile - supplied)
A3: Epson B1100 (ICC Profile - supplied)
A3: Epson Photo 1400 (ICC Profile - supplied)
A3: Ricoh GX7000 (ICC Profile or PowerDriver - supplied)

These are in price assending order! The ICC profiles are for use with PhotoShop or CorelDraw whereas the PowerDrive software can be used with any software.

JSR
07-06-2010, 12:40 AM
The ICC profiles are for use with PhotoShop or CorelDraw
Not that I want to correct you, but ICC profiles can be used with other ICC-aware software and even with non-ICC aware software. Spending vast fortunes on PhotoShop and/or CorelDraw is not a requirement.

bms
07-06-2010, 08:24 AM
but ICC profiles can be used with other ICC-aware software
You're correct JSR - I recall another post about this a little while ago, but from memory the help files on the CD for help in setting up graphics packages are restricted to PhotoShop, PhotoShop Elements and CorelDraw. Other packages might be less well "officially" supported.

JSR
07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
On the subject of profiles, how do we obtain updated profiles? I'm still using "Artainium UV+ 1400 v1.icm" - is there a newer one?

but ICC profiles can be used with other ICC-aware software
You're correct JSR - I recall another post about this a little while ago, but from memory the help files on the CD for help in setting up graphics packages are restricted to PhotoShop, PhotoShop Elements and CorelDraw. Other packages might be less well "officially" supported.
I always find it amusing that, after having charged through the nose for their ink, they then only give instructions for software that would bankrupt you if you bought it legitimately. It's almost as though they don't want our businesses to succeed! :lol:

Besides which, I don't recall ever receiving any Sawgrass instructions in which they explain what "rendering intents" are or what "black point compensation" does. They just provide a checklist for general use. So much for "officially supported" software... :roll:

Using ICC-aware software like Photoshop and CorelDraw is good because they allow soft-proofing, but soft-proofing is only any good if you have a properly colour-managed system (calibrated monitor, and accurate input profiles for the photos/designs you're supplied with). Who actually does anything more than just follow Sawgrass' instructions like it's a recipe? It could be said that if you have a properly colour-managed system then you won't need Sawgrass' instructions because you'll already know what you're doing, and if you do need their basic instructions then it's a sure fire bet that the rest of your system isn't colour-managed anyway so why use software that soft-proofs in the first place?

The ideal instruction for them to supply would be how to use the profile with non-ICC aware apps (i.e., via the printer driver) so that it works with everything - because, then, everyone could use their ink regardless of what software they have (surely they'd sell more if the impression they give wasn't "you can only use it if you've bankrupted yourself with Photoshop or CorelDraw"..?). If Sawgrass then want to supply additional instructions for ICC-aware software (if, for some oddball reason, the user doesn't already have a colour-managed system) then that's fine. Is that just too sensible? ;)

bms
07-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Is that just too sensible?
Absolutely :? - now back to the real world :roll:

bikertec
07-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I have a epson BX310FN and a epson SX115 lying about which have not been used i was wondering would one of these or both be suitable to use as a sublimation printer

Sorry Matthew, these printers are supported with either an ink system or profile. You options for a supported printer, colour management and inks are going to be:
A3: Epson B1100 (ICC Profile - supplied)
A3: Epson Photo 1400 (ICC Profile - supplied)
A3: Ricoh GX7000 (ICC Profile or PowerDriver - supplied)

These are in price assending order! The ICC profiles are for use with PhotoShop or CorelDraw whereas the PowerDrive software can be used with any software.This is fine if you want an a3 printer but could you recommend an a4 printer that has supported color management.

Cheers Mick.

bms
07-06-2010, 09:22 PM

bikertec
07-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Thankyou :oops: There must be more than just one epson :?: seeing this one is quite expensive for a a4. I persume your paying for the wireless connection. ;)

bms
08-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Epson discontinued the previously supported A4 printer which was the D120. There is just the one current A4 Epson printer supported at present which is the B40W. Problem is with buying a cheap A4 printer is that the printers aren't made that well, so Sawgrass tend to go for printers that will stand printing daily rather than the cheap entry level printers which may be more useful for occasional home printing.

JSR
08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
If you go for an A4 printer, be wary of how quickly they change. Epson in particular seem to have a "revolving door policy" when it comes to A4 printers in which they change their models quicker than they change their socks.

For example, the Epson 1290 (A3) was around for 6-7 years before it was replaced by the Epson 1400 (which itself has now been around for about three years). Compare that to their A4 printers and I wouldn't have the space here to list all the numbers they've gone through. Just in the dye-sub arena, the A4 models went from D88, to R285, to D120, to B40W in about 2-3 years - and for what? A4 printers seem to have a 6 month turnaround cycle.

If you buy a set-up complete with CISS and you want to be sure that you won't have to replace your whole set-up if your printer fails, consider investing in an A3 model. Either that, or buy a second A4 model for backup right off the bat.

Of course, the ideal solution would be for the people who make loads of profit from the high price of ink to actually make and support the printer themselves - but that'd be far too sensible. It's what happens in the regular printing arena (you buy Epson inks, Epson invest in R&D for the printer) - but it doesn't happen in the dye-sub arena (you buy the inks, you have to change your printer every six months).

Claretman
05-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi

Think I may have asked this before, but bought a new Epson B1100 and as yet not got round to using it with the CISS. Says it comes with an ICC profile but if it's not a daft question where do I find that? regards Steve

JSR
05-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Hi

Think I may have asked this before, but bought a new Epson B1100 and as yet not got round to using it with the CISS. Says it comes with an ICC profile but if it's not a daft question where do I find that? regards Steve
The ICC profile tells the printer how to work with the supplied ink and paper. For third-party inks (which is what sublimation is), the ICC profile should be available from your ink supplier.

The printer itself only comes with ICC profiles designed for Epson OEM ink and Epson OEM paper. These profiles are no good for using third-party inks.

Claretman
05-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Hi JSR, many thanks for that, think I've got the gist of it now, cheers Steve