PDA

View Full Version : Copyright and charity work

purpledragon
06-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Hi all
heres a little query for you who may know
Christian bale the guy who plays Batman was born and raised in the town we live in, now in this town we have a hospital which is facing closure of certain units ie special baby care unit amongst others . As you can imagine theres various action groups and events trying their hardest to prevent this happening.
One guy who is fighting the good fight is a pretty full on character holds a couple of world records 1 for jogging accross america and i believe one for jogging accross a desert somewhere now this bloke tends to be the sort of guy who does get things done and he has now set his sites on getting christian bale over here to help support the cause against closing this hospital . in truth its unlikly (my opinion) but knowing this guy whos on the case i wouldnt be suprised if he did end up back overe here fighting the good fight
Anyway my question is this this guy wants t shirts for when christian bale comes over but wants the batman logo on this i personally am sure this would need permission even though its for charity and non profit making can anyone advise a fix round this ?
Brett

daviddeer
06-01-2014, 03:28 PM
You would need permission as the logo is trademarked which means the terms of use go beyond copyright. Even if it is not for profit you still need permission unless the piece is altered in such a way that it is no longer recognisable as the batman logo??
You could always use an image of a bat and a man. I would contact warner brothers (http://www.warnerbrosbackstage.com/) to confirm they may be sympathetic if you explain things to them. (Also type brand licensing uk in google)

pisquee
06-01-2014, 04:47 PM
The best way I would think for this would be if Mr Bale gets involved is to get him to approach DC Comics/Warner Bros on your behalf.

purpledragon
06-01-2014, 06:17 PM
The best way I would think for this would be if Mr Bale gets involved is to get him to approach DC Comics/Warner Bros on your behalf.
Pretty much what i told the customer. I knew what theanswer was i suppose, i just needed it confirming really

GoonerGary
09-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Christian Bale might actually own a real batman costume, wouldn't that be better? :)