PDA

View Full Version : BMS Heat Press or elsewhere? Newbie!

sarahd
31-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Hello there,

I'd like to take the plunge into sublimation! I've been researching for a few weeks and have a good idea of what I need/want....really it's just the final decision on the heat press that I'm struggling with.

I'm going to purchase the Ricoh A4 SG3110DN Sublimation Printer (would love the A3 but can't really afford it unless I get a mega cheap heat press...)

I'm going to buy the printer from BMS as I've heard nothing but good reviews and as a beginner could really do with the 'support' they offer as I'm bound to run into problems!

I'd like to buy a heat press from them too for the same reasons, but I'm not 100% convinced by them?! Ideally I would like a swing away press and a mug press - anything else is a bonus (plate press etc). BMS sell an 8 in 1 http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/513/df18-8-in-1-combination-heat-press.htm - but by their own admission it is not made to the same industrial strength of their other presses, but it does seem a very good price for everything that you get.

Then they have this press - http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/693/df30-30cm-x-38cm-swing-away-press.htm but does this seem too cheap?!

I've seen plenty of other more expensive swing away presses but really not sure which presses are good quality and offer even temperature etc and which suppliers are worth considering and who will offer the after support I'm bound to need....

Like I say I'd like to buy both from BMS, but I'd rather not have a clam action heat press and the only 2 swing away presses they have I've listed above....

Can anyone suggest a reliable supplier with a reliable good quality heat press....I have a fair bit of money to spend but don't want to go overboard as I'm just starting out! Thank you.

purpledragon
31-01-2014, 04:01 PM
i have a bms clam press from about 4 years ago still going strong although i have had to replace the electric plug point once as this melted and a spring did snap but hey 4 years of constant use not really suprising is it ,
as for swing away presses i dunno what the bms ones are like martins pretty much ok and his kit whilst at the bottom end of the market in terms of price its normally pretty good stuff but i would be wary of a cheap swingaway you will probably find the pedastal be the first bit to go and i have doubts over the pressure and if its upto standing the rigors of time and use . I do stress i have nothing to base this on as far as bms presses go but i know my knight press has a pretty substantial pedistal and even this somethimes has movement when used at high pressure also swing aways do need twice as much room as a clam shut press so ask yourself why you need a swing away before you buy one

sarahd
01-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Thank you so much for your advice, I really do appreciate it. One quick question...how do you find the geo knight press? And if you don't mind me asking who did you buy it from?
Thanks.

Justin
02-02-2014, 12:31 AM
For a decent swing away, look at Adkins and Stahls....but very pricey! BMS service is always first class so you'd do well to look there. Don't forget the likes of Listawood as they do a good mug press reasonably priced (10% discount for premium members) and also Xpres who should also soon be able to offer a discount to members.

sarahd
02-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Fantastic, thanks Justin, will look into Adkins and Stahls. I will definitely be upgrading to premium membership and will hopefully benefit from some discounts in the future if not straight away. Many thanks again.

purpledragon
03-02-2014, 12:44 AM
The knights a cracking press bloody heavy built like a tank i bought it second hand so no much poit saying where from

Benn81
03-02-2014, 02:02 AM
I've had my Adkins swing away for a few years now, No issues no complaints so a thumbs up from me, however it's the only make i've had so i can't compare with the rest.

bigj2552
12-02-2014, 08:27 PM
bought the little 38x38 swing away from BMS about 2 yr ago....still going strong and NO cold spots either...touch wood

Alastair@Xpres
13-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Hello there SaraHD,

When looking for a heat press I would say that reliability and aftercare support are important especially in a new business venture.
In the Adkins range Swing presses are usually recommended as they are made from a cast aluminium giving a very good build quality and reliability.
Also with the Swing presses (Beta) range you would get a lifetime guarantee on the heat plate itself also.

Adkins clam presses are still great and with sublimation you will only really need light or medium pressure, the clams are made from a fabricated Steel which is strong but just not the same as a cast metal. As a result often clams will be cheaper, it is just a case of figuring out which one to go with but Adkins clams will still get the job done to a high standard!

It is well worth taking advantage of any special deals and discounts also

I hope this helps, there is tons of support on this forum so well worth using everyone's knowledge to your advantage!