PDA

View Full Version : Good Screen Printer

steve_c
10-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi all,

My background has been mainly design based and i've had a variety of job roles from labouring on a building site to 3d graphics. i'm currently making a living printing vinyl t-shirts and would like to expand my small business.

I am thinking about new more detailed designs to offer in the future and would like to get them screen or transfer printed. I will be looking to test the market to begin with without having to order 100s and end up with surplus stock. I realise that screen printing would be a steep learning curve for me so would initially prefer to contract out to save on initial costs. I also work from home from my spare bedroom (or the naughty boy's room as my wife refers to it! ;) )

I have tried a screen printers for a recent job and they seemd to think my designs were difficult which resulted in loss of detail and fill in. If possible I would like to find a good and reliable screen printer who would be interested in helping me and discuss any design restraints.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or they can share their experiences then that would be great and fully appreciated.

Cheers
Steve :)

John G
10-06-2010, 10:29 PM
How many colours on the designs, is it front or front and back, quality of t shirt, colour of t shirt, how many off each design, leadtime and is it spot colour or do the designs include halftones. These are some of the questions you'll need to know when getting a quote as the price is depending on all of the above.

Cheers John

steve_c
10-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi John,

My last job was for approx 50 t-shirts so I opted to have them screen printed instead of vinyl due to their complexity.
It was a front print 2 spot colour and a base white onto a dark t-shirt. 3 screens were made up in total.

I've approached a few printers in the midlands but it's difficult to find a printers that is keen to deal with smaller quantity.

Cheers
Steve :)

AJLA
16-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi John,

we are currently looking at purchasing a 4 colour 4 bed carousel, this doesn't work on micro registrations. How important is this?

Would you consider a unit without this?

John G
16-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Yes, no need at all - just take your time when setting up to get it right 1st time.