PDA

View Full Version : epson 4880 what can it print

soulclaimed
13-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Hi I'm looking for a large format printer no more than 650 second hand and have seen a few Epson 4880's about but I'm wondering what I can print with this I was hoping to do canvas mainly and posters can this printer do this. I know they can be set up for sublimation but I have no idea where to get a a2-a3 press and want to make sure that if I get one there's plenty of uses for it. I'd love a solvent printer but way out of my budget.

pisquee
13-02-2014, 12:11 PM
for your budget, you could get a used proper wide format 7600 (24") or 9600 (44") printer, which would be better for sublimation if that's what you're wanting as you don't need the light light black ink that the 4880 would require.
17" isn't really very big for paper prints or canvases, and the wider printers will give you more scope.

RogerC
13-02-2014, 01:45 PM
I would venture A2 would/might be too small for canvases. If you were to gallery wrap the product which is very popular these days you need to allow a minimum of 3-4 inches to cover the sides of the frame. Given that the printed product is a maximum of 23.4 x 16.5 inches you are left with a maximum frame dimension of 20 x 13 inches which is rather small for a wall hanging product.

As Pisquee says the dimensions of the product the printer you are looking at is capable of producing is IMO too small for posters or canvases.

soulclaimed
13-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Any recommendations for printers in my budget and there uses beyond posters and canvas for non sublimation as I believe sublimation would be way out of my budget at this scale

pisquee
13-02-2014, 03:00 PM
I would still go down the 7600/9600 route - we use these models of printers for both pigment (reproduction art printing on paper) and for sublimation printing. and are very pleased with the results they give us. Just because they're big printers, doesn't mean you can't still use them for printing small things - we print 1000s of mugs and coasters, along with big fabric runs. It's just a different work flow, but a much better quality print than home/office printers give you. they're capable of paper and canvas printing, and feed from a roll rather than sheets - paper the printer can cut off after each print, canvas is too thick so you need to cut it from the printer yourself.

soulclaimed
13-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Any idea where to get them eBay is collection only and closest is 4 hours away and I don't think people will take me on a 4 hour drive as a favor lol

pisquee
13-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Ebay is the best place if you want it least expensive, although you will have to drive with a good size car to pick them up - you need to see it working, you don't want to buy these unseen.

Alastair@Xpres
19-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Hello SoulClaimed,

I know you are looking for second hand equipment at the moment but if you ever need help with heat presses, solvent printers or sourcing Sawgrass inks for your new 4880 just let me know and I can help you out. I hope you get a good deal, personally I would take a look at businesses that use the machines you are looking for and see if they are selling any second hand, they are likely to have used them quite a bit but taken good care of them as they are an essential part of business after all.

pisquee
19-02-2014, 11:15 AM
we will have an Epson 7600 set up for sublimation for sale soon (which I have been saying for a while, but by soon, I am now meaning the next few days, to a week at the most hopefully!)

Paul
19-02-2014, 02:11 PM
let me know the price Tim!

soulclaimed
19-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Could you also pm me pisquee please

pisquee
19-02-2014, 09:28 PM
It'll go in the for sale section here, once we're ready to sell it.

soulclaimed
20-02-2014, 03:01 PM
If not used for sublimation and used with pigment inks would the 7600 be suitable for T-shirt transfer on jet pro soft stretch rolls?

pisquee
20-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Yeah, we have another 7600 which is running InkTec's pigment inks (used for art reproduction printing onto paper) and it works really well at this too.

soulclaimed
24-02-2014, 11:53 PM
what else can it be used for other than canvasses, posters and tshirts? can it do banners or would it not be good enough for thid, id there any adesive inkjet vinyl suitable for use without solvent ink?

daviddeer
25-02-2014, 10:10 AM
I would have a browse through the products here (http://www.colourgen.com/products/consumables). The 7600 can print on anything suitable for pigment ink printing and is usually used for indoor displays because of the effect of UV on the ink. Even when coated the longevity is not as good as UV or solvent printing. But for indoor use it is great. You can get banner material, window cling paper, printable adhesive vinyl, heavy cardstock (including 1.5mm posterboard and mountboard for picture framing), backlit film, wallpaper..... the list goes on. Have a look at the nischen site (http://www.neschen.com/graphics-en/print-media/category/1-media-for-waterbased-inks-) to see the cutting edge stuff that they have developed. The 4800 will print on the same material but you are restricted by the media width of 17", although it will print borderless, and it prints faster than the 7600. Maximum print length is around 90" with the latest driver (180" for 7600). For longevity I would suggest a liquid laminate coating which can be sprayed or rolled on.

pisquee
25-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Maximum print length is around 90" with the latest driver (180" for 7600)
Can't remember off hand the print limits, but if printing from Photoshop, then these are much longer.

soulclaimed
04-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Can anyone recommend a good site for inkjet vinyl for banners and stickers both will be indoor use