PDA

View Full Version : Crystal printing

NASH
12-06-2010, 10:08 AM
has anybody tried these out. Reviews would be helpful and may be Home to Gifts can issue sample products for us to try

http://www.hometogifts.co.uk/sublimation_crystals.html

bms
12-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Saw these at the NEC a couple of months ago. Looked good printed up, but the cost price means your retail price is going to be high and in that respect you may find selling them difficult in the current climate, unless you've got customers with £20 - £25+ to spend on a glass photo block.

Kaz
12-06-2010, 01:02 PM
I liked the idea, but as Martin says, the price is off putting :(

Andrew
12-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I saw them at the NEC as well and did look nice printed. Cost put me off straight away as you would get very little volume from them.

jennywren
12-06-2010, 01:48 PM
If you were going to invest that amount of money you might be better on buy a engraving machine, far more milage. Its way I'm thinking of going. Mind you I have no idea where to start. I think there was a post about this on this forum or the other. I can't swear but i think after awhilethe image faded. But I could be wrong.

Andrew
12-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Identify see to be a good place for small scale engraving machines. Everytime I see them at a show I always get tempted.

Justin
04-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Tpyed with the idea of srystal printing for a while as I work with a local photographic company and I think they'd sell well. I was looking at the Xpres version, the crystal blocks don't seem overly expensive.

Not sure how fiddly the end trimming would be :) Paper and glue aren't cheap but maybe they go a long way. Can't see a price for the UV box right now.

http://www.xpres.co.uk/tech_support/how ... lPrint.php (http://www.xpres.co.uk/tech_support/how_to_videos/2/2/CrystalPrint.php)

I've seen them on pricelists for companies in China and have considered importing.

Anyone use the Xpres system?

HometoGifts
05-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Crystal printing is leaving the UK. Why? Because it's expensive to set up and the crystal prices are expensive;

£500 + for a UV machine
£15 + for glue
£10 + for film
various prices for crystals.

Don't get me wrong, the result are great. And selling them for £20 a pop is worth the money. Trouble is, higher the price, less people want to buy it. The unfortunate thing is there's not the demand for these items in the UK, but if you want to offer something out the norm and you think you can sell a crystal for £20, then I'm sure some of the sublimation suppliers can import what you want, as a special order.

Another think you could try is buying a block of glass and sublimation spraying it. That way, if you're good at spraying, you'll get the same results as a photo crystal, but without the need for the UV machines, etc.

Dave@HometoGifts

Justin
05-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Cheers Dave...welcome along by the way :)

Appreciate the comments about costs. I do think I've a market (all be it somewhat limited) at £20 a block but I won't throw £500 at a machine for such small numbers. Quite fancy a go with the spray, appreciate the difficulties there but maybe more worthwhile trying this than investing heavily into uv machines.

creativejo
10-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Hi,

I have just started doing these crystals & so far in my niche they are proving popular.

I already had a UV unit so no big outlay but it's very different to the Xpres one. I suspect one of the UV nail drying lamps that cost about £20 would work too - will be testing that theory v soon!

I only do the small blocks but they are a quick & easy personalised gift I reckon.

Jo