PDA

View Full Version : Business Cards - Let's see yours !

NikGrey
09-03-2014, 10:21 PM
I am at the stage of designing my business cards - I did have some made as a temporary measure but never liked them enough to give out.. :(

I know it will take me a while to settle on my own design so I am looking for inspiration, I would love to see your business card if you have one ?

Also what is critical in a card design ?

Obviously business name and contact info:
Website
Phone
facebook

But the design must stand out, be memorable and eye catching - something somebody will want to keep - a 'Work of art' in their own right !
Colour - I need colour but as the template from the company I am using (as with any other print company) is strictly CMYK I fear I may not get the colour I am after.

so, looking for general help really.

FutureProject
09-03-2014, 11:03 PM
http://cyborgindustries.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/CyborgIndustries-BusinessCard.jpg

spongerobinson
09-03-2014, 11:36 PM

That's our design...basic, but has all the important details.

I know you mentioned Vistaprint in another thread, but being perfectly honest I'd steer clear...in my opinion they are cheap for a reason. I'd try find a local printer, where you can see samples of various stocks, thicknesses, laminates, and get something your really happy with. After all, a business card is often the first impression somebody will get of your business.

spongerobinson
09-03-2014, 11:41 PM
oh and i see FutureProject mentioned in the other thread about the size of VP cards! I had that typed in my initial post too, but on looking at Vistaprints site just now, it appears they've changed to the standard 85x55mm size...i'd still avoid them personally though :tongue:

Quinsfan
10-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Print your own. I have a business card from Nova Chrome which is metal. I have seen them on other suppliers. Try, I think this the correct name, subi- metals. They do post on here.

GoonerGary
10-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Aren't business cards an 80s thing?

Quinsfan
10-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Aren't business cards an 80s thing?
What do you use if you meet someone somewhere who wants your details? Also they make great roach papers.

RogerC
10-03-2014, 11:45 AM
It's my opinion that apart from carrying the essential information a business card needs to strike the right balance in terms of quality. Metal ones are very nice as are plastic (those that like credit cards). However having been the recipient of such cards I did stop and think about the cost of such cards. In the end it is the customer who is paying and as such I decided that a company which spent more than necessary on such items was not going to get my business. If it was a very up market company wanting to attract millionaires then it would be essential but this was a small company making awnings which, economics considered, had to pass on the cost to the customer. In this instance their 'flash' cards lost them about £3k worth of business.

I worked, for many years, all over the world in aviation working with/for multi million dollar company representatives/CEO/owners etc and not one had a business card that was out of the ordinary. If it's good enough for companies spending/earning millions of $$$$$ I see no need to go over the top.
I see Vistaprint has been commented on but as long as you get your cards on a decent weight card stock I would consider them to be good value for money. If your local printer could price match or come close I would support them over any on line provider.

pisquee
10-03-2014, 04:43 PM
No problems here with VistaPrint price/quality from our point of view - have used them for a few different things, including business cards and postcard type flyers. I judt wish they had a set rate, rather than charging little extras for basic things like uploading images.
We have since moved to using CrayonJuice as we wanted a more bespoke solution - needed a specific size to fit in a small box, and to be landscape folding, and they were able to do it for a good price with free delivery in a couple of days.
This need was due to our business cards also being product info cards which accompany everything we sell, to explain the brand/designs/products.

Justin
10-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Had the bright idea to get some fancy smanchy plastic cards printed before I first went to P&P years ago. Metallic silver with mirrored print, all looked the works. Only problem was the folk at the show wanted to staple the card to the enquiry form and it wouldn't go through me thick plaggy card! lol

John G
11-03-2014, 09:01 AM
A nice heavy card printed both sides with a matt laminate - looks classy, and much better looking than the metal or plastic ones.

pisquee
11-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Most likely the details someone wants from your card are going to be copied down into some sort of electronic form, either on a phone, tablet or computer (or possibly into a notebook or filofax) and will then be thrown away. so, you have to factor in your production cost (time and money) as to whether it is worth using anything other than paper/card.

mrs maggot
11-03-2014, 10:50 AM
other thing to perhaps consider is a q tag, that way if someone has the right ap they can just copy you directly into their phone

NikGrey
11-03-2014, 04:53 PM
That's is an excellent idea Ms Maggot - I have been including them in various promotional items I have created for others but didn't even consider making one for myself.

Many Thanks :)

mrs maggot
11-03-2014, 05:44 PM
i have mine on my hoodie sleeve as well when im working, and do them on quite a lot of promo-girls clothing, its great seeing men chasing the girls round, esp when they are on their bottom (was unintentional she had a size far too big on her lol)

Renniwano
11-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Slightly off the business card thing.. but I have a hoody with a huge QR code on the back... and have had people scanning me at the traffic lights when waiting to cross the road ;)

FutureProject
11-03-2014, 09:50 PM
we have qr codes on the van, business cards, flyers, show banners etc etc.. each with tracked urls and I'll be honest, they rarely get scanned.

NikGrey
11-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Here's my first draft (so to speak).

It's taken me a while to get to this stage:

http://nikgrey.com/demo-images/bc-fro.jpg

Reverse:

http://nikgrey.com/demo-images/bc-rev.jpg

I am yet to populate the reverse of the card.

FutureProject
11-03-2014, 11:11 PM
the screen shot does nothing for it..

NikGrey
11-03-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm just trying to get the design/info correct and then I will concentrate on the materials it is made with.

I want to get something close to what I actually need tonight as I want to use a local business to make them if they can come at least SOME WAY to what online offerings can offer price wise.

arko
12-03-2014, 08:42 AM
What do you use if you meet someone somewhere who wants your details? Also they make great roach papers.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... and breath...... and..... hahahahahahahahahahahah! Class! :cool:

NikGrey
12-03-2014, 06:44 PM
I always found business too thick for Roaches !

Here is the design I have settled on - posting it here to expose any glaring mistakes as I know you all have great eyes for detail:

http://nikgrey.com/demo-images/busi-f.jpg

http://nikgrey.com/demo-images/busi-r.jpg

pisquee
12-03-2014, 07:22 PM
It looks huge on my screen, and scaling it down to business card size, the screen grab of your design tool is so small it's a waste of space in that it doesn't communicate anything.
Print it out actual size on your printer, and cut it into a business card, and see how it looks then - it looks like your designing the card without taking into account how big it is actually going to be when printed. Are the credit card logos big enough to read when actual size?

On a design note, I would avoid writing everything in capital letters - generally it isn't as easy to read as lower case, and is quite 'shouty' lower case is easier to read and seems more friendly.

You haven't said where you are based - some people want to support or work with local business, either from an ethics point of view, or because it's easier/quicker to do so, or they want to be able to visit you to do things in real life. Having a landline number would also be of benefit.

You appear to have quite a range of products on offer - some of which I would assume would make you more money/profit, and possibly offer something more unique than other local printers who already do things like mugs - your logo being a mug communicates that your main product focus is mugs. Whereas I would assume that offering bespoke/designer morotcycle decals would have more money making potentail for instance? - you don't want your logo to get you less work of the things that make you most money? (finding it hard to find the right words to say this how it is in my head, but I hope it makes sense!)

dazzul
12-03-2014, 11:48 PM
If its any help (and not against the rules) Im a print reseller and can off some good prices on cards and leaflets. If not allowed let me know and ill edit this out. :)

When i have been asked to do a new employee design (doing 3 now) Ive kept the design clean & easy.
Just there logo & address on one side with a water marked effect, and there name email and phones on the other. They are a recycling firm and use the same design for all there staff with just changing the details. Ill ask if i can share the design.

Nik personally i think the information you are placing on your card there, should really be on a leaflet. Remember if you have got to the stage where you are handing a card over, the people are already interested in what you do. All they want is your name and how to contact you on a card.

I think you need a leaflet separate with the other information on. E.g.

http://s27.postimg.org/pp208qkoz/nikgrey.png

pisquee
13-03-2014, 10:23 AM
I'd agree, our first card was just one artwork/painting on the front, full bleed, with minimal contact details on the reverse - Company Name/Logo, phone number, email and website. They already know who we are and are interested in us, and the artwork serves as a reminder. Nice and simple and clean.

Dave271069
13-03-2014, 10:59 AM
here are mine!
2514 2515

GoonerGary
13-03-2014, 12:13 PM
here are mine!
2514 2515

Love the tipexed phone number so that nobody bothers you during the day.

Dave271069
13-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Love the tipexed phone number so that nobody bothers you during the day.

to be honest , the cards came when I took over the company from someone else and they have his number on, I use one of them dymo printing machines to print and stick my mobile number over the top of them.

mrs maggot
19-03-2014, 02:30 PM
oh heavens Nik TMI far too much information, its a business card not an A5/A4 flyer,

who are you ?
where are you ?
how to i get hold of you ?

arko
19-03-2014, 06:09 PM
I would maybe cut it to this and maybe also leave out the payment methods and the Q scan thingy or whatever you call it.

socialgiraffe
19-03-2014, 07:18 PM
This was mine for about 10 years.

Never felt the need to put anything else :biggrin:. Always made sure it was printed on a very high quality card and with a mat lamination to both sides. Nowadays I have a different card which does has address and company name, current version was drawn by my 5 year old daughter and looks good because it stands out and always gets a second look.

NikGrey
19-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Some great designs have been posted - 'Memorable' is the word for them ! well done, outstanding.

I am used to designing flyers, I think this is the reason I have gone about this as I have ! trying to get as much info in as possible (and the reason I went for a 'Clean' website - trying to change that 'Cram-it-all in' mind set).

It was a case of 'If I don't get these made now I will never do it' so I bit the bullet and ordered these:

http://nikgrey.com/demo-images/dsf/dsf-card-design.jpg

arko
20-03-2014, 05:31 AM
I for one will have trouble trying to make out any wording or the point in your design tool due to poor vision. Once this lot is on a card it is going to have some very small fonts on there. If you were to cut that in half, throw away the bottom halve, then blow up the top halve again to normal card size... I think you would have it perfect! Thre is still wayyyy too much info and too much going on. Remember the KISS rule?

Ucase Ltd
21-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Well I don't claim to be a design expert but this thread has spurred me on to get my own cards printed.

It was pretty embarrassing at Trade shows this year when I has to keep telling people I didn't have a card.

Please feel free to critique...

Cheers,
John.

socialgiraffe
21-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Hi John

I have a few comments,

Firstly, if you are looking at a card for you to hand out to trade I personally would have my address on there as well as the other contact details. Likewise if you have a direct dial, mobile and personal email I would put that as well.

I would look at using what you have done on side 1 with the logo and line on side 2 as well. Put the strapline "full wrap..." on both sides

Remove the Apple logo, it might put people off who own HTC's for example as it may, to some, say you only do iphone's

I really like the concept behind side 2 but it needs more work (IMO), instead of "our simple..." I would look at doing a screenshot, simplyfying and using that instead of text. I would also use a better photo and remove the text from the final image. Essentially I think you need to aim for three clear and clean images for the concept to really work well. What to use for Image 2 is going to be tricky though

I am not convinced with QR codes for TRADE business cards yet. I use them a lot in the music industry and direct fans to specific new releases etc on You Tube, but I have never used it within the corporate environment. If someone is taking your card, they will not need the QR in my opinion. Others may differ and I will bow to their better knowledge on the subject. If you are looking to do these for public, I would print a different card. For that one you could use your three images one side and then the QR code (nothing else) on the reverse. You are targeting smartphone users, get them to engage with their smartphone, it also means you could offer discounts etc quite easily.

Please see attached as a very rough idea on what I mean with some of the above

Ucase Ltd
21-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Hi Socialgiraffe,

Hi John

I have a few comments,

Firstly, if you are looking at a card for you to hand out to trade I personally would have my address on there as well as the other contact details. Likewise if you have a direct dial, mobile and personal email I would put that as well....

Thanks very much for your time and detailed response - Much appreciated.

Some very good points. Hindsight's a wonderul thing. I should have waited for responses before hitting the order button. But I'll implement next time.

The full wrap of blue line is a very good idea - Doh!

I did look at having a screenshot of the design interface but having read the commments on other posts on this thread I was worried it wouldn't work. I'll take another look at this.

QR - You're probably right. I personally don't use QR codes simply because by the time I've loaded a QR reader I could have just typed in the address, but was trying to get with times :-)

Apple logo - Right again, what more can I say.

To be honest, these were to be used for TRADE and PUBLIC. I didn't even think of having separate cards.

Thanks again and will take your advice on board next time I get some printed :)

socialgiraffe
21-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks again and will take your advice on board next time I get some printed :)

No problem, it is what we are here for :-) and lets be honest, if we all got things right first time every time we would probably be cruising the world by now and not reading the forum :-) I do think it will be difficult to get the perfect image for your online designer, but I also think it is worth it, take your time and it will come...

Incidentally, I typed your website in Mozilla and the below is what i got....

Ucase Ltd
21-03-2014, 03:10 PM
No problem, it is what we are here for :-)

Incidentally, I typed your website in Mozilla and the below is what i got....

Lol - Yeah I guess we would.
Website is still being worked on at the moment. My designer has been struggling getting the UI working how I want it. I'm hoping to have it finished within the next few days. I'll post a link once it's done.

Cheers,
John.

Ucase Ltd
04-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Hi John

I have a few comments,

Well what d'ya know. Vistaprint messed up my order (end result was not like the proof I received) so they credited my account and I got a second stab at creating my cards.

I've taken your advice on board and created 1 card for trade and 1 for direct customers.

I couldn't get the line going all the way around as there was no way to guarantee it would line up on both sides but I think the end results are a definite improvement - 2632, 2633

socialgiraffe
04-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Personally I think they are much better ;-)

FutureProject
04-04-2014, 10:29 AM
I would never rely on a qr code, we use unique qr codes in the hope we can track which of our advertising is successful and we use them quite extensively (we have one on our van (it's big!), one on our business cards, one on our flyers and one on our clothing labels) over the last year they have in total resulted to about 5 website visits.

also if your handing out a business card to a customer, don't underestimate the power of a phone number, a lot of our custom work comes from a phone call (then I request they email over pictures so you probably want to put that on there too) even though I've got a perfectly good, select product, click upload, pay your money interface on my website.

Ucase Ltd
04-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Personally I think they are much better ;-)

Thansk Very Much :)

Martinx
04-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Business cards are possibly your single most important part of marketing! Make it memorable and don't foget to put down what it is you do.

smo
05-06-2014, 08:48 PM
We use a soft touch matt laminate on both sides of ours so the cards look fab and also have a lovely soft velvety feel to them which adds a touch of class.

DANNYD
31-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Here's minehttp://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3015&stc=1

Paul
31-10-2014, 08:21 PM
I like that Danny. Nice and clean.

DANNYD
01-11-2014, 03:17 AM
Thanks Paul part of it has spot gloss on too, also double sided (will post when get home) vistaprint 10/10