PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printing, Laser Printing and Dye Sub

Jason
26-03-2014, 12:11 AM
I'm fortunate enough to share a unit with one of the main producers of 3D Printers, here is something just produced for a Tradeshow. This car has been completely 3D printed and then sprayed, the transfers I produced on the OKI White printer using some transfer paper from an Italian supplier seen at FESPA, and the base is custom cut and sublimated metal.

socialgiraffe
26-03-2014, 09:51 AM
That looks the nuts Jason. Send it to TMT as well as I think they would be interested.

Skye
26-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Hi Jason,

Please can clarify which type of 3d printing you used here?
When I see that term I think of a "printer" that builds a 3d item from scratch using a reel of plastic-like "string": https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeqVAD20lVSQ2Frkv6dNoKxcZad3Xb_ osW_i4k3UjLXA8MWgqP

To others the forum it is, probably, a heatpress that allows them print onto a 3d object using a picture printed on film or paper. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIIMUCSSZIoTFoJXUhQFfM4owPiY8yx mHemiad63G2t1JPDddr

Thanks
Karen

Andrew
26-03-2014, 10:31 AM
I assumed it was the actual printer and not the vac press. Jealous every time I see these..... just wish I could think of a valid reason to get one. Never really work in the "one off" market but mass produced, so can't think of a good reason yet.

Skye
26-03-2014, 10:40 AM
That was my assumption too.
We have one at home that my son built from a kit. It's fun to watch it working, but calibrating it is hard as it needs to be accurate in all 3 planes. We have some very nice leaning dice :smile:.
The design process is an interesting one and will be better when either the software is cheaper or we can buy print-ready models.

Jason
26-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Hi,

Yes its a printer (Rapid prototype machine) that builds from scratch, but rather than the plastic like string, its uses resin which is cured by UV light during the build process, items/products are designed using 3D software and then these machines build them.

Jason

Skye
26-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks Jason

arthur.daley
28-03-2014, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=Jason;85900]I'm fortunate enough to share a unit with one of the main producers of 3D Printers, here is something just produced for a Tradeshow. This car has been completely 3D printed and then sprayed, the transfers I produced on the OKI White printer using some transfer paper from an Italian supplier seen at FESPA, and the base is custom cut and sublimated metal.

QUOTE]

Hi Jason

i have been thinking about a £D printer for some time and one that prints from resin rather than 'plastic wire feed' seems like a better idea, maybe.

Any chance of a PM with some contact details of the 3D printer maker?

Arthur

Ejennings66
11-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Hi Skye, excellent guess. 3D printing uses that kind of “reel of plastic-like string" you’re talking about. Those are called filaments. Plastic ABS and PLA is in demand in the market, but lately I’m fond of using the rubber-like filaments form 3D2print. The materials will depend on what kind of output you desire. There are also wood, metal, resin and carbon fibre 3D printing materials, the choice is yours.