PDA

View Full Version : Selling on Amazon ?

NikGrey
16-04-2014, 04:29 PM
After recent changes at eBay - THIS (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?9023-paypal-buyer-protection-is-180-days-instead-of-45-days-from-june) thread highlights those, I and probably many more people will be looking for other places to sell our wares from !

Amazon, I always though was difficult to get onto - just had a quick search and it seems straight forward ! but thats probably only on the face of it..

So, I know a few of you do sell on Amazon - I was wondering if there are any pitfalls etc to watch out for ?

Andrew
16-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Main pitfall is if you find a good product that sells well, Amazon will often find a way of getting hold of that product or service and go direct whilst undercutting you. Happened to 3 people I know personally. One of them did actually become a supplier to them for this scenario though as when they tried to go direct to the manufacturer they wouldn't supply, so went the 3rd party route.

I would look into the barcode situation as well as that can be a little complicated but overall a good selling platform if you get it right.

viccar
16-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Ive been selling on there for a few weeks and sold sod all !!

bigj2552
16-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Ive been selling on there for a few weeks and sold sod all !!

takes ages to get established bud.....took us a good 6mth before we seen any worth while return for the £30pm....:wink:
bar codes are p*** easy bud ;-)...buy em in bulk ( 2000 + ) add em to listings...job done !
lotl less hassle on amazon than ebay...lot less stress from nut jobs ( some )...

only prob you got as seller of personalised goods ( as we have ) is some people cant upload the pic to you via amazon messages....you cant advertise any email addy, or sent it by amazon messages at all...they delete it.....and you cant see the customerS email addy ANYWHERE, so only way to contact em is via amazon messages...
lost count the amount of sales we have lost due to customers not knowing how to (even after sending em text how to ), or amazons system wont let them UPLOAD there image...there are other ways which we have resorted to. and its helping a bit.....

NikGrey
16-04-2014, 08:42 PM
I think I am going to have to rely on the method I have always used for things I make - word of mouth, its seems that doing anything online these days commercially is expensive and you have to deal with nutters who will want everything for free.

People are selling Mugs for £5 everywhere - I am not even going to think about competing with that, there's no way I am working for pennies.

Back to the drawing board.

I just need a product that's unusual, I will find it in the end - the time until now has been about mastering the equipment and processes so not a complete waste of time.

bigj2552
16-04-2014, 08:51 PM
I think I am going to have to rely on the method I have always used for things I make - word of mouth, its seems that doing anything online these days commercially is expensive and you have to deal with nutters who will want everything for free.

People are selling Mugs for £5 everywhere - I am not even going to think about competing with that, there's no way I am working for pennies.

Back to the drawing board.

I just need a product that's unusual, I will find it in the end - the time until now has been about mastering the equipment and processes so not a complete waste of time.

nik...DONT COMPETE !! - we have just put our prices UP for the 2nd time this yr....once in jan, and the other just before the prices went up @ royal mail.the only reason we started of mega cheap couple of yrs ago, was to get the customers base quicker....and we are still getting our regulars in and new ones by word of mouth..and a wee cheeky leaflet in the jiffys when we post :tongue:

there are ways n means to get punters in the door....eps on ebay..but your a seller yourself, so i dont need to tell you the tricks how to :wink:

guarddog14
23-04-2014, 05:57 PM
well i know there are now personalised phone cases on amazon at under 1.99 so balls to that!