PDA

View Full Version : Glass etching

Munchies
24-04-2014, 06:02 PM
hello :smile:

so i saw the silhouette cameo glass etching kit a couple days ago that looks really cool, but was wondering, as it's quite costly (considering i just want to do a couple for fun), can i get etching cream anywhere separately? anyone know any good brands?

thanks!!

daviddeer
24-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Check out hobbycraft and cut some mylar sheets as stencils.
The cheapest I could find online is here (http://hobby.uk.com/glass-etching-cream-90ml.html) at £6.60

arko
24-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Try ArmorEtch. I use it for doing mirrors. I got a large tub for about £19....it is actually re-useable if you are careful which makes it go a long way!
Heres one of my examples...

Renniwano
24-04-2014, 09:35 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLASS-ETCH-CREAM-for-decorative-glass-design-instead-of-engraving-/190859339213?var=490160376074&_trksid=p2054897.l5661

These guys do it..

I purchased mine a long time ago from Thyme Graphics.. but it seems there's a lot of it about now..

michc
24-04-2014, 09:39 PM
They are excellent. I've recently experimented with this but found the stencil difficult to weed. What do you use for stencils?

arko
25-04-2014, 08:26 AM
I used cheap sign vinyl. It was a bit tricky weeding the heart design but as they say..."patience is a virtue!"

michc
25-04-2014, 11:00 AM
I'll try that. Think I was doing my usual in that I decided to try etching and do 4 mother"s day glasses for my grand kids to give to their mum's - round glasses, small print, and lots of 'e', 'i' and 'a's etc. took 10 glasses, lots of hours and patience to get 4 acceptable but far from perfect ones. Along with sign vinyl, I'll also look for flat sided large glasses, (if they exist) my next attempt :)

Reg
25-04-2014, 03:16 PM
I use etchall etching creme bought off ebay and use cheap sign vinyl for the stencil, some of the sellers say it has a few months life but I've been using this tub over 4 years it has discoloured but still works.

NikGrey
25-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Just found some of that Armour Etch HERE (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400500323167)

I was only talking about this the other day - Glasses for Summer, and as you know when I see a new process I havent tried I have to give it a go.

Use cheap vinyl you say? ok - will do.

I was put off buying a big pot as the listing Nikki posted stated a shelf life of 1 year and knowing me I will make a bottle this size last a life time if it will allow.

arko
25-04-2014, 05:36 PM
You would be surprised also to learn how much fun it can be by just using freestyle with the brush and and re-doing various areas for different depths to create some great effects. I have a 10oz tub which I paid £14 for and a larger one 22oz which I paid for £19 or so. I tried doing some glasses but as you can imagine unless the font is not too fancy and small, it can be a right nightmare to weed. This is actually a very very cheap hobby to get into with very little outlay but which if tajken a step further can reap huge benefits.

edit... forgot to add that this is where I got my cream from..... http://www.jacksonsart.com/search.php?input_search=armour+etch&stock=0&x=0&y=0

Dave271069
25-04-2014, 06:40 PM
ive just purchased a small tub to try, got a potential customer waiting for samples for wedding glasses etc..should be fun..ideal for silhouette cameo owners,
hi Ian hope your doing well mate..

arko
25-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Not too bad Dave thanks. Just waiting on the date for next op that should be in next couple of weeks. Its fun doing this with the etching but yougot to have a bit of patience and make sure you get it right first time. Even one slight drop of the cream on uncovered glass can ruin the whole project! Happy Dayz! hahaha.

Limara
30-04-2014, 12:58 AM
I'll try that. Think I was doing my usual in that I decided to try etching and do 4 mother"s day glasses for my grand kids to give to their mum's - round glasses, small print, and lots of 'e', 'i' and 'a's etc. took 10 glasses, lots of hours and patience to get 4 acceptable but far from perfect ones. Along with sign vinyl, I'll also look for flat sided large glasses, (if they exist) my next attempt :)
not glasses but Morrisons and Asda both have some quite nice flat sided vases I have already been eyeing them up for doing etching. they are either 3.99 or 4.99

Dave271069
30-04-2014, 11:09 AM
im learning the hard way too, finding out that the round glasses are a little bit difficult, ive used 3 of the wife's best wine glasses but im finding i get a lot of smudging and the letters are not perfect. been to tesco to buy 6 more at a £1 each so will get some more practice in before i attempt a big project.

Limara
30-04-2014, 02:30 PM
im learning the hard way too, finding out that the round glasses are a little bit difficult, ive used 3 of the wife's best wine glasses but im finding i get a lot of smudging and the letters are not perfect. been to tesco to buy 6 more at a £1 each so will get some more practice in before i attempt a big project.
Which brand of cream are you using? do you have any idea why you are getting smudging.
Morrisons do packs of 4 glasses for £2.00 they have several shapes ( wine small martini and champagne) and the giant wine glass thats a whole bottle size are £1 each they and also have glass latte for 2 quid for 2. their larger blasses ( nince shaped beer) are £4.00 for 4.
I have read about doing wine glasses with make the cut software has a conical template that was designed for cup cake wrappers I think, even that isn't perfect, there must be a way to make templates to fit glasses. I wonder if the latte mug shape would help?

Reg
30-04-2014, 03:27 PM
The reason for smudging is the vinyl hasn't stuck down properly either the glass is greasy or the vinyl is to cold I clean the area with meths the warm the stencil and repress the edges before putting the cream on.

arko
30-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Spot on Reg. Also another little tip I found useful was to buy a wallpaper roller... the small rubbery type ones that you use to seal joints when hanging wallpaper. Heat the vinyl slightly and then use the roller all over the vinyl for a tight seal before and after weeding. Shouldnt get any more "bleeding" that way.

NikGrey
01-05-2014, 04:25 PM
My Armour Etch arrived this morning and I was about to make my first attempt at an etch.

http://nikgrey.com/DSF/etch.jpg

I'm going to use my usual roller for flatten the vinyl - fired up Silhouette Designer to find there is an update which looks like it will take 30mins to download..

Was going to ask about glasses but helpfully that has been addressed above :)

ASO Embroidery
01-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Hi Nik,
Just watch your update there has been quite a few issues with regards it things not working etc. they have fixed a lot but as far as I'm led to believe there is still some problems hopefully you will be ok.
Personally I've been holding off till its all sorted.

Sammy

Bex
01-05-2014, 07:41 PM
I've been using the new update for a couple of days. Haven't found any problems as of yet but I'll let you know if I do!

ASO Embroidery
01-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Hi Bex,
Good to hear. Just I usually keep my eye on the silhouette forum and when it was released there was no end of problems with as you will see if you have a look. Although I think most of them have been addressed although there seem to be a lot of people not using it till its completely functional me being one of them.

Sammy.

Dave271069
01-05-2014, 08:52 PM
going off original topic, i downloaded the new version and at first regretted it, ive got use to it slowly now,...

NikGrey
02-05-2014, 01:48 AM
Went back to the previous version and now I am able to use it again :)
Here is my first ever Etch:

http://nikgrey.com/DSF/first-etch.jpg

Oh, I found 6x straight (Long Drink) glasses in Makro for £1.80 inc vat.

Limara
02-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Went back to the previous version and now I am able to use it again :)
Here is my first ever Etch:
Oh, I found 6x straight (Long Drink) glasses in Makro for £1.80 inc vat.
Well done I will be well happy if my first effort is as good as yours! you were lucky with the glasses I tried Makro and the cheapest mine had were 6 quid for 4.

arko
03-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Strange that no-one uses Tescos anymore or you would have seen 6 highball glasses (Tescos Label) for a pound in their household department. (Not saying that people dont use Tescos... just saying that it beats me why people still buy from warehouse companies when they need something as basic as this.)

Dave271069
04-05-2014, 10:09 PM
me me me! i bought my 6 wine glasses from tesco ;-) £1 each and now one of them is sitting in a wedding boutique in the Vale of Glamorgan......
Nikgrey thats a good effort for the first one, mine was total pants...

but i would like to discuss what method do you guys/gals use? do you stick individual letters on the glass then make a square around the letters then etch the space in between or do you pick out each letter and etch the letter space and only have the letter finally etched (hope you understand what i mean cos i dont lol)

i was having to many blurred words so finally did it like this and i found it much easier.
http://www.theyummylife.com/etched_glass_tutorial

pisquee
04-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Just noticed this thread, and am intrigued and excited by some possibilities. Off now to read up on what the cream actually is and what it is doing technically/scientifically to the glass...
(in a similar way I have spent many hours reading up on exactly what sublimation inks are!)

pisquee
05-05-2014, 12:27 AM
OK, so it's an acid that eats away at the surface of the glass (or other ceramic type items)
Trying to work out in my mind how easy it would be to streamline the process for mass production of set designs rather than one offs. The idea of cutting out vinyl transfers for more intricate work and weeding doesn't appeal too much.

If there was a way of laser cutting a design template/stencil in metal and being able to form that into a curve to wrap around a mug - like an oven mug wrap, to be abel to reuse and quickly wrap and unwrap a glass... hmm

daviddeer
05-05-2014, 09:08 AM
I think you would have two problems with that method.
Leeching of etch under the stencil as it wouldn't be tight against the glass
Metal would be eaten by the acid! :eek:

Dave271069
05-05-2014, 03:10 PM
defiantly the cream would seep through the metal, as i have found out with vinyl being stuck to the glass also. i like your idea of something that can be reused but i think it will be a hard one to find.

Reg
05-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Depending on the customers requirements if they just want the letters etched then I just weed the letters and etch through if they want the way your link shows I cut the size required then leave the letters in I've never tried the way of the link because it looks a right pain to do.

Limara
05-05-2014, 05:44 PM
you can make reusable stencils for etching the ones I have seen are done with a UV exposure unit, Creative printers of London have one for £125 you can produce far more intricate detail than vinyl stencils and they say they are re-useable lots of info here http://glass-etching-kits.com/what_is_stencil.htm

(http://glass-etching-kits.com/what_is_stencil.htm)

sheryl_1975
04-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Can you do different colour etching. ?

Reg
05-06-2014, 03:01 PM
I don't know if you can still buy this but a friend gave me a can of coloured etch spray made by Humbrol he picked it up from a cheap store so it maybe something that was discontinued,I did try it and it worked but on the instructions it said it must be kept dry and away from sunlight.