PDA

View Full Version : Rip off Postage Charges

mysticalvibes
02-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi all, just wondering if anyone else is getting ripped off on postage charges? I live in Northern Ireland were there is a great shortage of sublimation suppliers so therefore have to get my stock from mainland U.K. However the delivery charges I am been charged are ridiculas. £13.50 for a box of 20 baby bibs (750g), £7.50 for 1m of vinyl (others can get it here for £3.50), £13.50 for 15 coasters, 20 0.5mm fridge magnets and few other small items!!!

I know it easy to say that I should buy from whoever has the cheapest postage options, but this also creates problems as different suppliers have different stock items meaning that you can end up paying a couple of delivery charges. I've been selling on ebay since 2003 and have a pretty good knowledge of postal charges so find some delivery charges a bit hard to swallow. I'm temped to name and shame those in question as I weigh every parcel I receive and check the true delivery costs which on occassions can be half of what I've been charged! I know there are also packing charges to take into consideration but unless I'm paying about £7 for a second hand cardboard box theres definately something wrong. Most times I don't need a 24 / 48 hours service so why is it forced upon me? Whatever ever happened to good old standard parcel service & charging your customer the true cost rather than trying to profit more from postage???

Davy

Kaz
02-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Davy

As a seller, you should know that couriers charge more to send to NI.

And suppliers realise that sometimes you want your items in a hurry, you don't wan't to have to wait days on end for them to arrive, I know I don't, if I'm ordering something, it's usually because I've ran out and need the item PDQ.

All the items you mention, I can get from the same supplier, therefore the delivery charge should be less as only 1 charge.

If you know someone charges a lot, don't use them again.

Kaz

Andrew
02-07-2010, 11:07 AM
I send stuff to NI occasionally and it does generally cost 3 times as much as mainland UK costs. It costs £18.50 + vat to get a large bag sent or £21 + vat for 10kilo box against £6 + vat and £7.50 + vat mainland costs.

mysticalvibes
02-07-2010, 11:29 AM
As kindly pointed out to me "I show know " the postal charges with my eBaying, thats correct i do. My problem isn't with paying the actual delivery charge its the bit extra that magically appears on top. I just priced my last 2 small deliveries via Parcel Force 48 signed for service, both worked out at £10.50 where as I've been charged £13.50. Now I know someone will probably point out that it only a difference of £3 but £3+£3+£3+£3+£3, etc i'm sure you see where this is going. And yes most items can be bought from the same supplier but cost prices vary. You think you've got a good deal on the items then the postage charges come and bite you on the arse!!! Were only new to the business 5 months ago so ordering big isn't my main concern, keeping going is.

Davy

Andrew
02-07-2010, 11:45 AM
They can just claim it is P&P rather than just the single P. Packing/Packaging can cost more depending on what is being ordered going on top of postal charges.

Is it cheaper to send for NI to mainland UK than the other way around or does it work out about the same?

John G
02-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Its just one of those things, don't order small qty's - order in larger qty - divide the postage by the qty and pass on this increase to the customer. Its always going to cost more to send to NI - I stopped sending stuff to NI as my courier was putting a £25 premium ontop of the actual price just to send. Sometimes its not the suppliers - its the couriers.

Cheers John

accdave
02-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I would guess it's because most suppliers have standard shipping rates. If they had to start wieghing each parcel separately it woulld add to their costs. Some you win some you don't with standard charges. If the items are small ask the supplier to post out rather than courier, some do but don't advertise it.

GoldRapt
03-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Maybe one answer might be for you to set up as a distributor in NI for the UK suppliers ?

GoonerGary
03-07-2010, 10:08 PM
That tiny stretch of water that allows them to hike the prices. There was once plans to build a transport link to Scotland, get on to yer MP!