PDA

View Full Version : Cameo Breaks lines !

NikGrey
01-05-2014, 10:48 PM
After the update today of the Silhouette Designer software (Now on V3) I decided t give it another go as I just could not get on with the previous version - the 'Trace' drives me crazy and still does BUT...

Now it's 'Breaking' my cut lines - look:

http://nikgrey.com/DSF/breaking-lines.jpg

The 'G' is a good example but as you can see there are other characters affected also.

Anyone got any ideas?

Obviously this is no good at all.

Paul
01-05-2014, 11:21 PM
look for option called over cut. you will be able to set how much you want your blade to go to. also worth to have a look on knife off set.

ArtyGamer
02-05-2014, 01:57 AM
If you need to go back to an older version, I still have my copies of:

silhouette_studio_V2.7.6c
silhouette-studio_v2.8.16
silhouette-studio_v2.9.45

I also don't ever use the trace feature, as I just don't think it's anywhere near accurate enough. I use Vector Magic for all my tracing, and then convert to .svg to import to Studio so that I've got full control over how it operates. I tinkered with trace when I first got it but it was all over the place compared to creating something by hand, so I tried a dozen or so different programs until I found one which was quick, functional, and accurate.

NikGrey
02-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Thanks all.

Arty, I need the Mac versions - downloading the 2.9.45 as we speak.. what a pain this is.

No 'Overcut' option available in the new version Paul.

All I wanted to do was etch a flaming glass with my new cream..lol.

Will get back into this as soon as I rise later today.

.. Will look a Vector Magic before retirement though.

I really need to work out why I cant trace perfectly in Illustrator - it always looks so rough.

oh no - Vector Magic is subscription - I wont be going down that road.

UPDATE: V2.9.45 is fine - All is well with the World again :)

ArtyGamer
02-05-2014, 10:56 AM
oh no - Vector Magic is subscription - I wont be going down that road.

Oh wow, so it is. When I bought mine it was $95 for the full version, although I'm going back some years now and have always been given free updates. I actually quite like the subscription model; every year I have to design a 96-page magazine for a client in France and I can't justify shelling out for inDesign for that one job every twelve months, so I 'rent' it for a month for something like $50 to get the mag done and that's it for another year. I also use Vector Magic enough that I would easily pay the $7.95 a month for it. I pay more than a fiver a month in tea bags. Probably.

Glad you got the cutting issue sorted out. One of the upgrades I downloaded last year resulted in everything getting a severe double-cut and the pressure was being ignored so every single thing I cut that first night ended up going right through the vinyl backing and even into the carrier sheet. Silhouette were good enough to send me the previous version while they looked into it, along with a free blade and carrier sheet to make up for the hassle. Never had problems since but I've also not reached version 3 yet as I'm now a bit wary.

viccar
03-05-2014, 12:58 AM
When tracing on the cameo untick the high pass filter box and make the threshold higher (youll see the difference) you get better results

NikGrey
03-05-2014, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the reply Viccar - usually by the time I post here I have spent hours 'Fannying' with things, I have been through all of that a few times :)

It was the new version of Designer which was causing problems - I can now work well with the older version again.. tempted to make another 'Etch' now but realise I need to get SOME sleep at SOME point.. lol - continuing to love the whole 'Arty' way of life :)

I had a comment earlier today, or 'Saw' a comment somewhere "I saw NikGrey in Hobbycraft AGAIN today - Who would have thought it?" - that did make me chuckle :)

NikGrey
30-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Folks, I am still on V2.9.45 but as I made some templates in a newer version I cannot load them back into this version so I am thinking of trying to upgrade again..

I see there have been a few revisions since I tried to update before so I am wondering:

Which of the newer versions is working properly?

This will save me some valuable time in trying each one again..