PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Oki C711WT & WoW 7.5 wanted... Pretty please!

Gygafo
10-05-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm looking for a reasonably priced, entry level system for black/dark, 100% cotton T's and wondered if anyone has any experience of the Oki 711WT. The YouTube video's for this printer and WoW 7.5 paper look quite impressive (to a total novice like me). Are there any other reasonable quality printer, paper combinations I should consider or is the Oki ok?

Thanks for looking.

Cheers :smile:
Nigel.

Justin
10-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Are you looking to print white toner? If so, the only viable option is TMT. SunAngel are selling a system but are yet to give satisfactory information/demo's on this.

If you're looking down the 'no white' route you have a lot more options. You'll find threads on here already. I use the Oki 511dn with Xpres transfer papers and it works very well....especially the transfers for white shirts :-)

Dave271069
10-05-2014, 08:45 PM
This is worth a look Justin, im not saying its as good as the oki and wow but at the price defiantly starting to have a think about it, i have just had 10 sample sheets of the papers and run them through my okic610 the t-shirt that was designed for me came out great and has lasted so far approx well over 10-15 washes and still looks great.

http://www.thetransferpress.co.uk/acatalog/sunangel-overview.html

Gygafo
10-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi Justin, yeah, being able to have white on black T's is essential for what need to able able to do. I'll probably get myself a Ricoh in a couple of months for dye subbing on to poly cotton whites and pastels seen as I will have invested in a press and all the other kit. I'll search the forum a little more for as much info as I can fill my head with but it's hard work when you have a fixed goal. I'll also take a look at SunAngel, thanks for that.

Gygafo
10-05-2014, 09:36 PM
This is worth a look Justin, im not saying its as good as the oki and wow but at the price defiantly starting to have a think about it, i have just had 10 sample sheets of the papers and run them through my okic610 the t-shirt that was designed for me came out great and has lasted so far approx well over 10-15 washes and still looks great.

http://www.thetransferpress.co.uk/acatalog/sunangel-overview.html

Hi Dave, your link is for the SunAngel system that Justin mentioned. I've just watched the video for this and I'm going to give TTP a call on Monday morning, just have a few questions regarding colour profiling and warranty as these are modified printers, not sure from the blurb if they are factory mods or TTP's. I'll post info as I get it.

jennywren
10-05-2014, 10:48 PM
I have a OKI C711W and the wow 7.5 and I find it easy to use, it opens so many options on what I do, but I do not use it on mugs. I hope this helps.

Justin
10-05-2014, 11:24 PM
TMT system still appears to be the only option but boy is it expensive. I guess when you factor in everything you can do with it, it can be justified...perhaps! The new satin mugs for example look and feel superb but I'm yet to speak to anyone who has successfully printed one...anyone? :-)

I tried very hard to buy a SunAngel system but it was hopeless dealing with them. At the time it wold have cost around £700 (If I remember correctly) to setup, 2 printers, 1 for white and the 2 part papers etc. I'm told registration is very difficult and can be hit and miss....one of the reasons TMT dropped the A3 system.

Dave271069
11-05-2014, 09:39 AM
I suppose it all comes down to what you need one for. The white oki and wow is all singing and dancing and is great for 99% of work on tshirts and now mugs as well as other stuff. The cheap option of the sunangle I suppose is ok if you want to print just white onto clothing like text etc without all the weeding of vinyl. I personally dont like all the fussing about with colour printer and a white printer and aliging it all up. But like I said in earlier paper the paper printed fine but wouldnt it be nice if sunangle came on here and sold us there product. At just over £300 for white printing I can see a market. ..

Gygafo
11-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Hi Justin, and Dave271069, I think I've made my mind up and will be going for the OkiC711WT, unless someone throws a spanner in the works over the next day or so. The SunAngel system is a great idea (and much cheaper). However, having slept on it, the process appears a little fiddly and I imagine has a potential for more miss than hit.

Cheers :smile:
Nigel.

socialgiraffe
11-05-2014, 04:51 PM
TMT system still appears to be the only option but boy is it expensive. I guess when you factor in everything you can do with it, it can be justified...perhaps! The new satin mugs for example look and feel superb but I'm yet to speak to anyone who has successfully printed one...anyone? :-)

Hi Justin

I did a run of 108 the other week and did not have one failure. Finished result was superb and client was over the moon with the end result. I was also really impressed.

By the way guys, if you do a search you will find that I did a price comparison on the TMT and SunAngel systems. You will see that the TMT is ultimately cheaper than the Sun Angel system. Do not get sucked in by the cheap start up costs. We see this with Heat presses and Mug Presses all the time and the end result is that you go and purchase a better press as the other is not up to standard. It is no different with cheap printers/systems.

Justin
11-05-2014, 04:53 PM
I'd forgotten about that post and appreciate what you're saying, very useful info :-)

Really like the look of the mugs but would like to see and hear more about them at this stage.

socialgiraffe
11-05-2014, 05:06 PM
I'd forgotten about that post

And you as Admin... TUT :tongue:

Really like the look of the mugs but would like to see and hear more about them at this stage.

What do you need to know? Nice mugs, print well and dishwasher proof. Not sure if they are proof to the same extreme as dye sub but they have been tested for 100 washes I think. Ask TMT for a sample or two and make sure you ask for a sample of their presentation mug box at the same time. Personally I think a personalised coloured mug in a presentation box could sell for £15.00 if marketed and done right.

logobear
12-05-2014, 02:33 PM
We are very happy with TMT wow and oki 711w
our main challenge is learning to re-think the design process to include white and transparency.
still stuck in thinking 1 colour cut or a 'patch of solid RGB
Only thing it cannot handle is a j-peg logo on white with loads of drop shaddow......- how to make it on transparent?

Gygafo
12-05-2014, 09:55 PM
We are very happy with TMT wow and oki 711w
our main challenge is learning to re-think the design process to include white and transparency.
still stuck in thinking 1 colour cut or a 'patch of solid RGB
Only thing it cannot handle is a j-peg logo on white with loads of drop shaddow......- how to make it on transparent?

Hi logobear, Thanks for the vote of confidence in the Oki and TMT, that really has helped me make my mind up. I've spoken to a couple of really helpful people at TMT today and have decided to go for it. I'll be getting the whole bundle from them, printer, press, media etc. Hardest part now will be making the call in the morning and parting with all that hard earned dosh!

Cheers! :smile:
Nigel.

Chunk
13-05-2014, 02:12 AM
Hi, sorry if I am way off on this, I kind of looked into the laser printing for dark t-shirts a while ago (as a novice) and it seemed the paper was around £3.00-£3.50 for A4 and £6.00-£6.50 for A3 before printing, I thought that was quite expensive, have I picked this up wrong or if not is there still room for profit, I assume so if people are using it, might be just my customers are cheapo's and don't want to pay the going rate :)
Chunk

socialgiraffe
13-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Hi Chunk

The prices on some of the papers has come down in price and TMT WOW is now £1.80 per A4 sheet. It is also considered to be one of the better laser papers along with the Forever papers sold by Xpres. You would need to check printer compatibility on any laser transfer paper as it only works with certain printers.

You can get cheaper using a print and cut printer (like myself) but you will need to shell out 5k for the basic model and probably 10k (both plus VAT) for something "proper"

Earl Smith
13-05-2014, 10:29 AM
I echo what Logobear said.
I bought mine last November when the WOW 7.7 came out and its been well worth it. Once youve mastered the way to do the print and how to seperate the I and the M papers its a doddle.

socialgiraffe
13-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Hi Earl and Logo

As a side point, I was having trouble at the recommended temperatures (using an Adkins Beta Heat Press). Spoke to Technical who unofficially said try upping the temp (H&S means that they can not publish this advice). I now press the transfers at 155-160 degrees for 45-50 seconds and never had one failure.

Just thought I would share.

Earl Smith
13-05-2014, 10:46 AM
I do mine at 145 degs and they come out ok. But I also place a sheet of tracing paper and a silicon sheet on top to hold the heat in. Dont remove them, just lift up the corner and peel the two papers apart.

Gygafo
13-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Done it! :wink: Ordered the full monty, C711WT printer, Maxi press, WoW media etc from TMT this morning and waiting for the tech guy to call and arrange delivery and setup. I just need to sort out a good quality T-shirt supplier who is reasonably priced for low volume orders of around fifty to a hundred units, preferebly cotton unless anyone advises different.

I must just say thanks to all who have posted and helped me make a decision and especially to TMT who were fantastic and answered all my stupid questions without laughing at me. Now I've just got to learn how to use the gear and make it pay for itself which I don't think will be too difficult but I'll keep you all posted on my experiences and progress with the new business if your'e interested.

Time for a Cider me thinks... Cheers! :smile:
Nigel.

Dave271069
13-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Ralawise for clothing is a good start,

Gygafo
13-05-2014, 09:58 PM

Thanks Dave, Ralawise seem to crop up quite a bit on the forum so I'll register with them and take a look at what they have. The problem with me though is that I'm a total noob and I don't quite know what I'm looking for at the moment. There's nothing quite like experience, so I'll listen to those that know.

Cheers bud! :)
Nigel.

jennywren
13-05-2014, 10:38 PM
We use them, they are good, but the only brand that we don't use is Fruit of the Loom, but that is a matter of choice.

Dave271069
13-05-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks Dave, Ralawise seem to crop up quite a bit on the forum so I'll register with them and take a look at what they have. The problem with me though is that I'm a total noob and I don't quite know what I'm looking for at the moment. There's nothing quite like experience, so I'll listen to those that know.

Cheers bud! :)
Nigel.

We all started somewhere, i still class myself as a newbie only been 2 years, but what i did do was contact Ralawise and ask them for a account as im setting up a new business, the first few orders may be payment upfront but it wont be long till they sort you out with a 30 day £250 credit......

Gygafo
14-05-2014, 07:42 PM
We use them, they are good, but the only brand that we don't use is Fruit of the Loom, but that is a matter of choice.

Thanks Jennywren, and Dave, I've applied for an account with Ralawise. Is there any specific brand that you prefer over others or are they all much the same?

Cheers!
Nigel.

Gygafo
14-05-2014, 07:43 PM
We all started somewhere, i still class myself as a newbie only been 2 years, but what i did do was contact Ralawise and ask them for a account as im setting up a new business, the first few orders may be payment upfront but it wont be long till they sort you out with a 30 day £250 credit......

Cheers Dave, account applied for.

Dave271069
15-05-2014, 12:02 PM
i use GILDEN PREMIUM, not only do they sound good they are a nice t-shirt also, they also do others which are all slightly different but good quality.

jennywren
15-05-2014, 03:48 PM
i use GILDEN PREMIUM, not only do they sound good they are a nice t-shirt also, they also do others which are all slightly different but good quality.
This is the t.shirt we use

Gygafo
15-05-2014, 08:41 PM
This is the t.shirt we use

Hi Jennywren and Dave, I am really grateful for your advice. I got a call from Ralawise this morning to say that they have given me an account and I'm also going to go with the Gilden Premium T's. Cant wait for TMT to deliver the printer and press... Getting giddy! :biggrin:

Cheers!
Nigel.

Chunk
18-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Have a look at the Gildan Heavy Cotton (Rala - GD005), around 30p less than the Premium, we sell loads of these and the quality is great, also loads of colours. Although I'm now going to try the Premium also :) (from a personal preference we avoid FOTL).

Gygafo
18-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Have a look at the Gildan Heavy Cotton (Rala - GD005), around 30p less than the Premium, we sell loads of these and the quality is great, also loads of colours. Although I'm now going to try the Premium also :) (from a personal preference we avoid FOTL).

Hi Chunk, thanks for the advice, seem's like most people on here avoid FOTL. I've got an order together for a few different T's but the main quantity will be Gildan Premium as they seem to be favorite.

Cheers! :smile:
Nigel.

Gygafo
28-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Wish me luck!!!

New printer, press and all the other kit arriving and being installed in the morning... I'll post an update once I've learned the in's and out's of what's involved and pass on the pro's and con's for those that might be interested or considering this system.

Once again, thanks to all who have posted and given their advice so freely and in such a friendly way.

Cheers! :wink:
Nigel.

phoenixalpha
11-06-2015, 11:00 PM
Was there ever a review of the 711WT? Keep being tempted but never actually go for it because it seems like a lot of hassle and cost for so little return.

ArferMo
12-06-2015, 12:50 AM
Go see what they say about it on http://www.t-shirtforums.com/

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/laser-heat-transfer-paper/t268569-5.html#post2979306

phoenixalpha
12-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Same as ever then... no consensus on a solution. Some people swear by it, some swear at it. Its either a hit or a miss.

ArferMo
12-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Just like cars/beer some you love some you hate.

phoenixalpha
12-06-2015, 01:16 PM
True but 3k and change plus a lot of time for something that *might* work.... isn't just beer money

socialgiraffe
12-06-2015, 01:23 PM
The OKI White printer coupled with TMT products does work. Some of the papers, WOW for example, may take time to get right and you will need a decent heat press. But TMT are there to help. You could pop down to their showroom and spunk as many boxes of paper you like until you get all the processes right. They will show you and teach you everything you need.

Those who say it does not work are incorrect, they simply are not able to do it themselves.

Simply put, it is the best garment decoration process around (unless you ONLY do T-shirts, in which case DTG is the way forward).

I note you are based in Glasgow, I am not sure if they have an office up there, but if not, if you are going to spend 3 grand, then a flight to Luton (where I am sure they will pick you up), is not much considering the investment.

phoenixalpha
12-06-2015, 02:23 PM
it becomes a case of splashing 3k on TMT or saving a bit more for a decent 2nd hand DTG

socialgiraffe
12-06-2015, 03:52 PM
The OKI White system is not really that comparable to a DTG.

A DTG can only do flat surfaces and is designed for clothing. If you are only doing tee's and sweatshirts (so nothing with a zip or pocket) then get a DTG. If you spend a bit more then I think you can even get better platens so you can do things like polo shirts.

However if you want to do more than clothing then the OKI White is the way forward.

JackB
12-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Take a look at these http://absoluteapparel.co.uk I get gildan tshirts and Zoodies from them at single rate instead of carton, much cheaper than ralawise and they are excellent service and use the same carrier as Ralawise.
Jack

ArferMo
12-06-2015, 06:44 PM
I use both SunAngel and WoW with OKI toner and to date have not had a problem with either process. Both will look crap if you wash above 40C or tumble..... they crack up then as they seem to dry out or go a bit brittle but saying that so will DTG.

On the other hand I can get the same out of the press results with the BN-20 and can wash some of the films at up to 90C and tumble with no problem. I have work ware where the stuff I printed 8 months ago still looks like when I first opened the press and the garment has holes worn in it with daily abusive washing. That's not going to be the case with SunAngel, WoW or DTG...... But an OKI laser can be left indefinitely with no loss of ink (so to speak) unlike a DTG printer or a solvent printer which both need use or care every 4 hours or so with ink pumped into the waste pot BLOOMIN EXPENSIVE ink just to stop a £1500 head from clogging.

phoenixalpha
12-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Yeah but the hand on a BN20 is quite heavy compared to DTG (I'm unsure about the hand on Wow or Sunangel) surely. Comparable with vinyl yes?

ArferMo
13-06-2015, 01:25 AM
The hand very much depends on what film you use, some are so thin and soft they almost disappear into the cloth others actually puff up to give a 3D effect its very much horses for courses.

If you think about it...... when you are out shopping.... you see a top you like, you buy it, you don't really give much of a hoot about the hand you just buy it cuz you like it. Many buy the distressed cracked stuff that most of us would consider a failure and wear it till you can hardly make out the image any more.

When you move away from sublimation hand really goes out the window it's a whole new ball game.

Paul
14-06-2015, 11:50 AM
The hand very much depends on what film you use, some are so thin and soft they almost disappear into the cloth others actually puff up to give a 3D effect its very much horses for courses.

If you think about it...... when you are out shopping.... you see a top you like, you buy it, you don't really give much of a hoot about the hand you just buy it cuz you like it. Many buy the distressed cracked stuff that most of us would consider a failure and wear it till you can hardly make out the image any more.

When you move away from sublimation hand really goes out the window it's a whole new ball game.
this is what i always say!
people want stuff printed on polos or hoodies and I deliver. they never care what I used to print those garments.

btw... do you use any of those light garment films for bn-20? if so, any good?

ArferMo
14-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Yea got most of their range here and not got a bad word to say about any of it although the C-Print Glitter could be more sparkly