PDA

View Full Version : Side Blocks on the forum

Justin
11-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Does anyone actually use the blocks to the left side of the forum? We've had mixed opinions on them so I'd like to hear everyone's feedback please.

I know the squash the main forum area which is fine if you have a decent monitor and can extend the width of your browser.

Personally I just hit 'what's new' every time I come on but as you'll appreciate I'm here many times a day :-) So I don't use the blocks at all.

Please discuss :-)

Paul
11-05-2014, 03:30 PM
i don't see any use for them here too. also is not very welcome on my screen. would be good if we are able to remove them our selfs.

spongerobinson
11-05-2014, 03:33 PM
I always hit the 'New Posts' button in the menu, and don't think I've ever used the blocks personally.

Justin
11-05-2014, 03:34 PM
i don't see any use for them here too. also is not very welcome on my screen. would be good if we are able to remove them our selfs.
Would be good to allow members to view/remove these, I don't think with this particular system there's that option. They can be hidden by user group but not really a solution.

Justin
11-05-2014, 03:34 PM
I always hit the 'New Posts' button in the menu, and don't think I've ever used the blocks personally.

I'm thinking this may well be the general consensus. I'm sure some members do use them but I'm just deciding if it's worth it.

spongerobinson
11-05-2014, 03:37 PM
slightly off topic, but is there any sort of a mobile theme/plugin that can be installed for when viewing from a phone. Some forums I know use Tapatalk, and I'm sure there must be something similar for vBulletin. At present, I don't find the forum too easy to navigate from my mobile browser.

Justin
11-05-2014, 03:39 PM
What do you mean slightly, that's way off! Lol, just kidding. Yes, there are options that I've been looking at. Members have told me the standard format works ok on iPhones etc. but I will look at the condensed version for mobiles again :-)

spongerobinson
11-05-2014, 03:47 PM
It works alright, but just requires a lot of zooming and swiping to see/read things. Anyways, sorry for going off topic...it happened while replying from a mobile! :wink: :tongue:

Justin
11-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Lol, not at all, fair comment and I will look at this :-)

Quinsfan
11-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Justin
I love this forum, I am always popping in and reading the "New Posts". I never look at the side blocks nor the shoutbox that some people asked for.
It works ok on my HTC one but I do tend to zoom in, that may be my age and poor eyes though:smile:!
Keep up the good work.

James990
11-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Never use the side blocks, always hit New Posts

harlequeen
11-05-2014, 07:23 PM
I only go to new posts too, unless I'm looking for a specific thread

Paul
11-05-2014, 07:33 PM
how about to use this space for something more important?
resources
pined posts
suppliers etc...?

ArtyGamer
11-05-2014, 08:05 PM
I never pay much attention to the side blocks; I tend to just click on "New Posts" or if I find myself with a little more time on my hands (hahahahahaaaaaa yeah, whatever) then I'll go to the main forum and just wander around to read a load of random threads. I'm not really sure what could be used in their place as I've never really paid much attention to the side of ANY forum, to be honest.

As for the earlier question on mobile formats, I've used Tapatalk with my own forum for years and each month around 40% of the people visiting the site are using their Tapatalk plugin. Out of those, more than half have the paid version. Personally, I use the full browser version whenever I'm visiting a forum on my phone as I don't want a piece of software to decide what I can and can't see, and how everything is displayed. But I also don't like mobile versions of ANY site!

As an addendum... it feels pretty weird giving an opinion on a site that I've only been active on for a few weeks, but I'm hopeful that my critique/observations don't make anyone think "Eh? Who the hell is this guy??" :)

Justin
11-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Lol, not at all, I welcome comments from everyone and it's good to hear from new and old :-)

I can always fill the space with adverts! Is probably just leave it so that the forum is fill width though.

logobear
12-05-2014, 01:39 PM