PDA

View Full Version : Chips not recognised Epson D120

GoonerGary
03-07-2010, 09:45 PM
My headaches get worse with this whole printing business.

I was sent replacement Epson D120 carts for the Easy Flow system but the Epson software won't alllow me to print becuase it can't read the chips.

Is there any software that can bypass the Epson carts authenticity check?

Thanks

Ian M
03-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I used to have the same problems over & over again Gary.

In the end I finished up going to a computer fair near where I live one Sunday morning & got a couple sets of spare chips from someone who knew about all the D120 problems. It did the trick for awhile but, problems kept coming back with a host more problems on top.

I've been told the problems are that the two black cartridges chips argue with each other as who is in charge. Sounds daft but as soon as I changed one of the black chips all was fine again.

I've finished up ditching the D120 & I'm having such an easier life now going back to the old 4 cartridges with a ciss system.

A few times I had the problem after head cleans on the D120 the odd colour didn't want to print anymore & after lots of head scratching & desperation about to set in I just took the offending cartridge out wet the end of my finger & rub it on the nozzle. I put it back in did a nozzle check & hey presto it was working again.

One top tip I was told to do with the D120 was to run a nozzle check once a day to keep it clear.

Good luck mate.

GoonerGary
04-07-2010, 03:19 AM
My first carts were fine...lasted months until I let the ink run dry. Second ones started playing up when I removed them.

Looks like a similar problem, the first black always shows empty.

Wetting the finger sounds odd, was that a solution for the fussy chips? Sometimes I burb the cartridge if I get a strange nozzle check.

Ian M
04-07-2010, 03:33 AM
Sounds just like the problems I was having until I bought the new chips from the computer fair. I them started to use a ciss that worked fine most of the time but still had the odd moment with the chips.

Wetting the finger tip was odd but, as I said it was just desperation as the yellow would not print at all. Thing is it worked & I did it again on a few more occasions & worked each time too.

I've used Magic Bullet a couple of times & that has worked pretty well to to clear blockages. There is a video on You Tube demonstrating it & well worth a watch.

GoonerGary
04-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks Ian,

My two topics are almost merging so I'll try and stay on topic.

Would a chip resetter work on the CISS carts? I realise that the Easy Flow already has a resetter built in.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chip-Resetter-7-9 ... 563b8af5bd (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chip-Resetter-7-9-pin-PX800FW-RX685-R200-R205-/370366150077?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_Printing_PrinterInkCatridges_JN&hash=item563b8af5bd)

Do you know anywhere online selling replacement chips and info on how to replace them?

Ian M
04-07-2010, 02:56 PM
No worries Gary,

If you give Signal-Inkjet a call on 01706 691491 & ask to speak to George or Andrew they should be able to help you out.

George really knows his stuff when it comes to printers & ink & the problems associated with them.

I have no idea if the chip resetter would work but, feel like it wouldn't.

As I said I have changed over from the D120 now & if I told people which printer I was using with which ICC profile & also the inks I always use they would all collapse with shock.....lol. The thing is it all works really well & everyone of my customers are very happy with the results.

I'm using a S21 with a CISS which is filled with Ink-Tec ink & I'm using the D88 ICC profile & I'm getting superb results everytime. All the time I have used the Ink-Tec inks I have hardly ever had a blockage.

Yeah, I'm doing things on the cheap as far as printing is concerned but, hey what the hell it works for me.

One other thing that may help is when I used the Magic Bullet you put the print head over some folded up kitchen towel & you would not believe what that piece of kitchen towel picks up. It seems like you are in a way cleaning not only inside the print head but also underneath it too.

Ian

gstk
06-07-2010, 11:49 AM
The D120 is a donkey in my opinion (And most other people I think). Had one for 6 months (to replace an excellent D88 ) so much heartache and down time, contimually resetting and messing about. Ditched it for a Ricoh 3300n - wished I had done it 6 months ago. Faster and so far no heartache. No messing about with priming and syringes. Print is probably not as rich as with the Epsons but for stress relief it is marvellous.

Got mine from Magictouch.

GoonerGary
06-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Astronomical ink price for the Ricoh system, there's no opportunity to by bulk ink?

bms
06-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Astronomical ink price for the Ricoh system, there's no opportunity to by bulk ink?
Nothing available from Sawgrass. I suspect the chips are not re-settable which is one hurdle to overcome and no instructions forthcoming (yet?) on refilling the Ricoh cartridges :( .

gstk
06-07-2010, 08:06 PM

I agree on the ink price but then remember everytime you do a head clean you ditch ink. If you only do a few items as day then thats not a problem. When you are trying to keep up in a busy period time=money and if you are messing about priming/fixing its costing you money. Also the Ricoh chucks out a mousemat print in seconds instead of minutes!!!

I am just about through my first cartridges and I must admit I was bothered by the price. However the first set of cartridges take about 60% of the cartridges to prime the system (That made me sweat) It has printed approx 189 sheets of full colour (working on three mugs to a sheet etc etc with about 25% of the black still left) so you can presume you may get at least another 120 sheets from a full set - prob more. Full set of inks is £185.00 (inc vat) I think you would get 350 prints at least = 52p per sheet - three mugs on a sheet therefore approx 18p a print.

I dont think thats too bad.

I do hope there is a chip reset as I know the cartridges wont be empty.

Ian M
06-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Martin,

They'll be a little man in China trying to work it all out right now ;)

Ian

bms
06-07-2010, 08:26 PM
They'll be a little man in China trying to work it all out right now
I'm sure there are plenty :)

agree on the ink price but then remember everytime you do a head clean you ditch ink.
Quite true and given the hassle with your D120 the saving in stress alone must be worth it ;) I think the Ricoh will still work out more expensive, but it's in pennies rather than pounds and if you're cleaning heads then your wasting time as well as ink and time is money.