PDA

View Full Version : New to Dye Sublimation Printing

Claretman
07-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself having read the many topics with keen interest. I am new to dye sub printing and looking forward to getting my new Epson B1100 and G838 heat press up and running.

I am a website and graphic designer but thought I would diversify into designing my own t shirts after being asked to do some for friends and they liked them. I have Adobe CS5 Suite so decent software to do the job and a lifetime of collecting royalty-free images which I can incorporate into the designs as well as my own ideas.

Just a couple of questions if I may: Where can I get a CISS for the B1100 (tried e-bay with no luck) and what are the best dye sublimation inks to use? So far most people keep telling me to buy Rotech. Also is there a list of recommended suppliers on this board where I can buy the correct type of t shirts for dye sub printing.

Look forward to posting again and perhaps showing you some of my designs.

It's a steep-learning curve doing this but I guess that's what makes it so much fun.

Have a good day.

Steve

Justin
07-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum ;)

We have a list of suppliers here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=110 (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=110). You'll find CIS for the B1100 on some of these sites. You could buy an empty CIS but have to be careful with the build quality. You'd need to buy the Sawgrass approved inks anyway (Rotech, Artainium etc.) so it's a better deal to buy a filled CIS form one of the suppliers. This also means you'll get full support which believe me will prove invaluable. If you havn't noticed already, the inks are a big initial investment but will last for many prints.

Personally I prefer Artainium and I would say that the majority of users do but you'll also hear from members who use Rotech.

A few options for t-shirts, again you'll find them on the suppliers list.

It is a big learning curve but very worthwhile if you stick at it. We're here to help so please take a look through the existing threads and post anything you're not sure of.

Justin :D
DSF Admin

bms
07-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Welcome along to the forum Steve ;)

Andrew
08-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Welcome along. I would say artainium is an easier option and more widely available and better supported. Most of the Sawgrass inks do the same job and all work well

Ian M
08-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi Steve,

Good to have you join us & there's lot of very nice helpful people here.

Ian

Kaz
20-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Hiya and welcome :D