PDA

View Full Version : Ink Blow Out

spidersue
07-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Could anyone suggest anything regarding a problem we are having with ink blow out. The print comes out of the printer ok but when the item is pressed any light areas and around text has very small black dots on it like a fine spray (blowing out from dark coloured inks). It isnt noticeable on soft items but very noticeable on hard items (mugs etc). We have done nozzle checks and cleaning and changed pressure/pressing times but nothing has made a difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone tried the new gel printers? If so are they appreciably better than inkjet and how do the print costs compare?

Glen
07-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi Sue...what setup are you using ie..printer etc..

GoonerGary
07-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Are you using the same paper for hard and soft items?

I would suggest Tru Pix for mugs.

bms
07-07-2010, 09:44 PM
It sounds to me as though the paper has the black spots on it as well, but hardly noticable until you press it onto a product. You will need to correct this from the printer as this is where the problem is coming from. Try a head alignment as well.

Is the printer old? Could it be a worn printhead?

spidersue
04-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi all
We are still having this problem. Our Printer is Epson 1290 and we use truepix paper for both hard and soft items (we always have done and have never had problems before). Can anyone give us any suggestions on how to correct this as the hard items are turning out less than perfect.

bms
04-11-2010, 10:08 PM
It sounds to me like it is the printhead that is the problem. You could try taking it to an Epson authorised repair centre and see if they can give it a thorough clean. Check first, but this may cost around £20. If they can't clean it then it may be time to consider a new printer.

JSR
04-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Oddly enough, I experienced this with my *brand new* Epson 1400.

The image I've been printing is a photo with black text above it. The photo is fine, but the black text comes with a spray of black around it. It doesn't happen on my B40W (but that's not so good for the photo part of the design).

Worked around the problem for this run by turning the black text into a deep green. The result is black enough but, because it's forced the printer to use the coloured inks rather than the black ink there is no "spray". The problem is clearly with the black ink.

I would stress that this is a brand new printer - not an old one, not a refurb. I am using refillables (but I'm also using refills in my B40W and that doesn't exhibit the same trouble).

I post this to note that just "buying a new printer" doesn't automatically mean you'll solve the problem.

NASH
05-11-2010, 10:07 AM
have you tried spraying window cleaner on thick photo paper and then print a full colour image. This worked for me on my D88 printer

spidersue
05-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. What type of window cleaner do you mean?
Does anyone think that the use of 'black point compensation on photoshop output to the printer driver' makes any difference
The problem doesnt just occur on lettering but on the photos as well where there are any light areas.

xpert
05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Simple cure, bin it, buy a Ricoh, headache gone.

snjokaggl
26-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Simple cure, bin it, buy a Ricoh, headache gone.
Second that! The Ricoh is amazing!

JSR
27-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. What type of window cleaner do you mean?
Does anyone think that the use of 'black point compensation on photoshop output to the printer driver' makes any difference
The problem doesnt just occur on lettering but on the photos as well where there are any light areas.
Black Point Compensation won't make any difference to this issue.

The only way I've "solved" it on my 1400 is to change the text to be deep blue (about 90% or so). It still looks dark enough to be black when printed, but because no black is used there is no blow out/spray.

Another option when doing mugs is to use mugs from BMS. I'm using some now after using Revolution ones for ages. The BMS mugs have the "advantage" of not being bright white - so the dusty blow out from the black is far less noticeable than it is on a bright white mug.

Sorry that these aren't definitive solutions, but they are what's worked for me so far.

logobear
28-11-2010, 07:50 PM
The green windiwcleaning sprey that comes in a gun for about £1 us a brilliant solvent for inkjet ink.
At first sight of dirty marks we sprey a sheet of blotting paper and print onto it, or you can use the expensive no tear kitchen towels too.
Used this method on wide format printers for 10 years, it's a great trade secret.
Our bulk ink d88 started black spreying, we were told that was it.... We bought a richo and never regretted it but we do wonder hiw gel ink will perform in cold weather?
In a market situation will it still flow at close to 0c? The d88 was fine regardless of temperature.

NASH
29-11-2010, 11:12 AM
yep i too use a window cleaning spray on A4 240gsm photopaper and do full page print works a treat

Bluesnews
17-01-2011, 11:00 PM
hi, i have just joined because i am getting this. i use paper that is 135g and mugs from bms, i have not changed a thing, other than i am using a new mug blanket also from BMS. I am getting this on every mug ...a lot, have tried changing the heat settings but this is has now got me beaten. thing is my mug machines heat plunges by 80 when i put it in the press. currently i have got it better than it was but i am heating it up to 245............ this plunges to 175 it takes about 30 secs, then takes another 2 mins to creep up to 250, followed by 30 secs to time out, making 3 mins. i don't know what to do as i make mugs with my family as a hobby and we don't want to waste mugs and paper and ink.

could it be heat?

could it be ink?

i'm not to sure about the heat or ink as wekeep old prints that are on different paper and printed a while ago, plus new prints, same result, drips at the bottom of the mugs and its worse with the colour Blue

help please

bms
17-01-2011, 11:17 PM
A few quick comments...

245 is way way too hot. Heating your blanket to this temp can cause damage. You only need 180 for mugs.

135g paper? Why so thick? This may cause crease marks when wrapped around mugs resulting in a blow out of ink.

Temp drops when you put mug in? To be expected especially from 245 degrees. Mugs are cold, blanket very hot so heat sinks into the mug causing the blanket to drop in temp.

Bluesnews
18-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Martin this is Bryan, Me and Jon today put a new blanket in, we've always used the same settings. what do you suggest we try? the paper doesn't crease. Also the new blankets are pinky white inside?? is this usual for the DF-180, we always had shiny bblack before

we've been pulling our hair out all day and as you know Jon gets easily upset. so i have been helping him (or trying to)

tell me what to try with heat settings?

we always use a rubbish mug for a while to get any ink still on the blanket and then let the machine creep up to the tempreture before putting in a mug. would you suggest we warm the mugs up? we have tried before but Jon had issues burning himself, but we could try.

the paper is 135g because i was getting it from a guy on ebay, we had issues with his 130g and moved upto 135g on his advice, it's brilliant paper never had an issue with it and with Jon its better to have something a bit more robust.

i would appreciate any help as you know we only do this as a hobby, although extremely expensive for me.

bms
18-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi Bryan,
Can you email a couple of pictures of the mugs printed and I can comment further for you. Am around first thing today only.

Bluesnews
18-01-2011, 02:41 PM
hi Martin, i have one picture, when i work out how to post i will put it on here. PS think you tried to call me today??

bms
19-01-2011, 02:48 PM
...or just attach it in an email to us directly...

Bluesnews
21-01-2011, 02:21 PM
hi Martin, i have cured the issue a little, hard to see from the following picture but...........

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5817/problem001.jpg

have taken the heat down to 220 but the machine is a real annoyance as the tempreture drops to 140 from 220, even if i warm the mug up. think the machine is on its way to be honest as Jon has cetainly used this one. so maybe in the market for a second hand DF180, but need to get the shiny black blankets. as you know with Jon he doesn't like change. its difficult

as you can see in the piccy there are two pionts where the print has kind of run. I have got Jon to leave more of a border on the mug, its cured it a bit

bms
21-01-2011, 03:09 PM
With the DF180 you have the idle temp, operating temp and time. So you should put your mug into the press when it has reached the idle temp and allow it to heat to operating temp with the mug in place and then the timer starts from when the operating temp has been reached. You shouldn't be putting a mug into the DF180 at 180 (or 220 degrees). The image is a little blurred to see what's happening, but if you have a good image then email it directly to us so we can try to see this more clearly. We no longer sell the DF180 as the DF1 does the same job.

Bluesnews
21-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Hi Martin, well without explaining about Jon here, as you know changing things with him is near impossible, he just doesn't accept change. i will possibly look around for a nifty cheap DF-180.

as for the piccy, i find it impossible to get a close up enough picture of the issue, it just looks like drips