PDA

View Full Version : how can supplier justify

george
07-07-2014, 11:31 PM
I ordered a sweat shirt to do a sample for customer today
sweatshirt £5.95 postage £7.85 next day delivery I asked can you send it 1st class
royal mail girl said yes thinking about £3 post checked card on what payment was
****sake £13.25 so I saved 55p

socialgiraffe
07-07-2014, 11:58 PM
Ignoring the swearing....!

Look at this way.

If I send items by City Link, I can print the label and package the item in a bag provided by the company. They will also collect it from my address and it will be tracked all the way, meaning if it is lost I can claim against them. Cost to me is about £5.00-£7.00 depending on a few bits of criteria.

If I send by Royal Mail (which is very rare if you have another courier company), it will mean you first have to provide your own packaging, you will then have to take it to the PO and you either select to track the item or build enough in the cost so when something is lost it can be replaced.

RM would have to be approximately £5.00 cheaper for me to consider using them, which they are not.

I am not saying its right, and perhaps you need to look at your choice of supplier (it could be that the one you selected prefers and markets themselves as bulk and not one offs), all I am saying is that there is always a different view. Plus I suspect a sweatshirt will cost more than £3.00 if it is not packed properly and the packers probably do not know how to pack stuff for RM.

galerion
08-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Could be just that the packaging they used isn't within royal mails small packet size and has been bumped into the medium parcel price, they probably don't have to worry about that with their normal courier.

Justin
08-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Galerion.......... Can you remove the advert in your signature please, thanks.

pisquee
08-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Remember though, that you're not just paying the delivery cost, you are also paying for the time for the product to be packaged, for the packaging used, for the item to be booked in for collection, or for staff time for the item to be taken to the post office.
If you're unhappy with delivery charges that suppliers ask, most are more than happy for you to arrange your own courier to collect for you.

Justin
08-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Sounds like you're using a trade supplier for purchase of an individual own so already mentioned above your paying for packing as well as postage.