PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette cameo - how thick can it cut?

JBDesign
08-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Hi,
Anyone know how thick a cameo or portrait can cut. The only spec i could find online said 8mm, which I don't believe for a minute as it also said the blade was 1mm. I'm sure it can cut thicker card/whatever than 1mm somehow though can't it? There's corrugated card stock you can get for it that must be thicker than that. No info on thickness on any of the cardstock etc, which makes me think that it just isn't used to cut anything even slightly thick if they don't even bother to mention it.
I'm thinking of getting one but would like the possibility of cutting 2 or 3mm stuff.
thanks in advance
Jon

ASO Embroidery
08-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Hi
What is it that your actually going to use it for that way you may find some of the members use it for the same thing and will get your answer that way. I have a cameo and use it mostly for vinyl but it will cut Glitter vinyl which I believe is a tad thicker. I have also cut the old style Rhinestone template material and that is thick plus its cutting a lot of holes when you use that and never really had an issue with it. Probably some one else be along in a minute may give you a better answer.

Sammy.

JBDesign
08-07-2014, 11:11 PM
I want to cut stencils to use as texture sheets in their own right or to be used as moulds for rubber sheets or stamps for printing, clay work and suchlike. They need to be a few mm thick to make a decent impression in clay or polymer clay. Thanks for the info, it sounds like it may cut a reasonable depth.

socialgiraffe
08-07-2014, 11:36 PM
You may be better off with a silver bullet cutter.

Think they seem to be heavier duty and can do things like engrave metal.

Just had a quick look

Cameo Cutting Pressure 210
Black Cat 950
Silver Bullet 1250

JBDesign
09-07-2014, 07:14 AM
Thanks SG, they do look amazing, but outside my budget unfortunately. ;-(