PDA

View Full Version : At what amount does screen print beat vinyl for cost

Chunk
18-07-2014, 11:09 PM
This is just a quick thought I had and thought I would ask, For instance how many garments would it become cheaper to do with screen print rather than vinyl, for a simple 25x10cm t-shirt front. I know there are many variables that makes it a hard question but a simple logo.

Paul
18-07-2014, 11:41 PM
in my case, I would say above 20. more then that and i would prefer to expose screen and then do the job this way. one colour only of corse ;)

Chunk
19-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Thanks Paul, yes I should have said one colour just to get an idea. I see a lot of screen printers requiring 30-50+ minimum orders I assume due to the time it takes to make the screen, but (and I must stress I know very little) is the screen printing set up a single black print that gets transferred onto the screen via lamp or some process(I know there is more to it, I'm just being vague). How does this compare to doing a contour cut outline on a vinyl logo, I think some logo's are quite time consuming and wonder if making a screen would be quicker (see where I am finally going with this, the easy option as normal). Again I suppose on the detail required etc.

weecstar
19-07-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm a screen printer, my minimum is only 10 for one colour & anything lower than 10 I would look at using vinyl. Its much cheaper to screen print 10 plus garments but it is also time consuming - the preparation & clean up!

socialgiraffe
20-07-2014, 01:13 PM
It all depends on number of colours and size of the print.

For example, I did 50 Front Left breast logos on Polo shirts the other week. I did these using the WOW paper (I know its not vinyl but the logo was only one colour). They were a landscape image and I could fit 14 on a sheet, so total cost was £7.20 (plus toner and electricity) and time wise I suspect was a lot quicker when you take into consideration screen prep, setting up, garment drying and clean up.

However if I had 50 full back prints I would screen print always.