PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding colours

leethesign
18-07-2010, 02:13 PM
No, I'm not swearing about the bleeding colours! The colours are fine on the batch of mugs I've just done, but
after going in the dishwasher a couple of times the colour red is bleeding from the image into the unprinted part of
the mug. I've only had one of the batch back - but there's a lot more of them out there lurking around just
waiting to bite me on the bum!

My gut feeling is that there's a problem with the coating, but I'd be happy to be shot down in flames if anyone
thinks it's something different.

I was going to attach a pic, but can't seem to find how to do it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

bms
18-07-2010, 02:27 PM
You've hit the nail on the head already. The coating isn't dishwasher proof. The inks on the mugs will start to bleed and fade which is a classic example of the coating not being good enough. There's a post on here somewhere with a link to pictures of mugs printed with varying types of coating which will probably show your problem, but I can't remember who posted it now. Perhaps the link can be posted here again if anyone can recall the thread.

Justin
18-07-2010, 03:22 PM
If you click on upload attachment tab at the bottom of the post screen you can browse your files and upload from there :D

leethesign
18-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.......

So now I've learned something new - I assumed that because generally the polyester coatiing is dishwasher proof they all would be - that probably explains why the mugs were cheaper than usual.

There is obviously some technical explanation - for example, are there different types or standards of coating or is it that some products aren't coated properly or........?

It'd be nice to know so that I can avoid the same problem in the future. In the meantime, anybody want to buy a couple of boxes of non-dishwasher proof coated mugs??? No????.................... Oh I thought not!

Lee (a slightly embarrased and out of pocket subby printer)

John G
18-07-2010, 05:54 PM
You can still use these - just add a disclaimer when selling them (hand wash only - in big letters). Some people only want the mugs as a gimmick or joke which would be used a couple of times - the cheaper mugs are ideal for this.

There's a lot of difference in the price and you do get what you pay for.
Cheers John

leethesign
18-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks John -yep, that seems to be the way to go.

Lee

bms
18-07-2010, 06:30 PM
are there different types or standards of coating
Yes there are many different types. The coating that we insist on for total dishwasher proofness is the RN coating. You can google RN coating and find out more about this if you want, but there are a range of coatings of which are advertised as dishwasher proof as well. If you're going to advertise a dishwasher proof mug then do you own test if you want to be totally assured and put a printed mug in your own dishwasher for a while. We have tested the RN coating for 3+ months washing daily and I know of a customer that washed twice daily for 4 months with no change in the image (just to be sure) :)

leethesign
18-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks Martin

That advice is now on board.

Lee