PDA

View Full Version : Extending wi-fi distances

Justin
30-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Here's one for you techy buffs!

I've just read that you can extend your network wireless over a huge distance using antenna. 20km has been mentioned :-) I've read about a number of things including a wi-fi range extender claiming 10,000 square foot extension.

Is it possible to share an internet connection over a larger distance?

My reason for this (possibly daft) question.....I may have the opportunity of renting a much larger office just down the road from home. As the crow flies we're talking 800-1000 yds maybe, pretty much clear line of sight. Currently the premises has no phone line, i don't need the phone connection but will need internet....hence my query!

Fascinated to hear of any possibilities and no, I don't think I can run a cable along the pavments! ;-)

Earl Smith
30-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi Justin.
I beleive it can be done but dont know how either. I have a similar problem so lets hope there is some Boffin on here who can help us.

GoonerGary
30-07-2014, 12:21 PM
BT Openzone allows me to access the internet in a house which doesn't have an internet connection. So when visiting the mother in law, I bring the laptop, log into openzone which is a network of all BT internet customers and I log into my own account. I've got internet anywhere in the UK.

muckyducky
30-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Might be a good idea to look into mobile phone tethering :)

Justin
30-07-2014, 06:16 PM
BT Openzone allows me to access the internet in a house which doesn't have an internet connection. So when visiting the mother in law, I bring the laptop, log into openzone which is a network of all BT internet customers and I log into my own account. I've got internet anywhere in the UK.

Might be an option if someone nearby is on BT...as I am, cheers, will have a play around.

Justin
30-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Might be a good idea to look into mobile phone tethering :)

Lol, we struggle to get a phone signal up here, 3G is non existent as well :-)

spongerobinson
30-07-2014, 06:32 PM
I would think that the cost of doing something like this, and sustaining a reliable connection, would far outweigh the cost of a cheap broadband connection direct to the premises, especially with some of the deals providers are offering these days.

Your mention of being rural and lack of 3g reception got me thinking about a thread I was following from back home in Ireland, which is worth a read if your interested in this sort of stuff. Basically a guy got a project going to supply high speed wireless broadband to the community, all run by volunteers. Huge achievement I reckon!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056423539

arthur.daley
30-07-2014, 06:35 PM
I know someone who built himself an antenna exactly for this purpose. He had it mounted in a 4 th floor window at work with a reciprocal antenna on his house. He had to take it down on the basis that it was totally illegal - exceeded the permitted power transmission. Apparently it worked a treat, even if it did fry any birds that passed through its path ;o)

I'd be very surprised if googling didn't throw up some design suggestions.

Arthur

spongerobinson
30-07-2014, 06:38 PM
I know someone who built himself an antenna exactly for this purpose. He had it mounted in a 4 th floor window at work with a reciprocal antenna on his house. He had to take it down on the basis that it was totally illegal - exceeded the permitted power transmission. Apparently it worked a treat, even if it did fry any birds that passed through its path ;o)

I'd be very surprised if googling didn't throw up some design suggestions.

Arthur

I think thats possibly one of the main problems...the kind of frequencies required to reliably send data over that distance are illegal to use without licenses, etc. I could be wrong, and there might well be a way to do it. Otherwise, get a shovel out and start digging a trench! :wink:

pisquee
30-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Justin,
You need to read through these articles from TheRegister.co.uk about a guy in rural Scotland trying to get decent internet to his house by relaying it from another house in a similar fashion to what you're trying to do.

Diary of a Not Spot (pt 1) (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/03/not_spot_diary/)
Diary of a Not Spot (pt 2) (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/01/bye_bye_bt/)
Diary of a Not Spot (pt 3) (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/03/not_spot_no_longer/)
Not Spot Forum (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/30/not_spot_mailbag/)

We're also looking at getting premises in town, so am thinking if this could work for us too (we have fibre at home, so be good if there was a way to get it the 0.2 miles away potential shop so we don't have to pay for more internet, but also have our two computer networks joined up.
There is a potential building only a few doors down the street which may be able to get instead, for which I'd likely be cheeky and run a long ethernet cable along the roofs of the neighbours, or maybe use the phone masts to string the cable that way!

NikGrey
30-07-2014, 11:37 PM
What you need is an Amateur Radio enthusiast as One of your forum members, it might also help if One of his past occupations was being a Sound Engineer as he would know the theory of this kind of venture..lol.

Yes, you can do it - you just need to buy or build a 'Yagi' antenna (Thats what a TV antenna is - Directional).

You do need another to receive of course - the problem is it MUST BE in the 'Line of Sight' to work.

There will be commercial offerings.

You see those little 'Wi Spire' dishes around - thats what they are doing, all pointing to the Spire where the transmitting antenna is situated.

pisquee
31-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Ah, I was a sound engineer too, before I quit and did this instead!

NikGrey
31-07-2014, 01:02 AM
That's Three people I have other things in common with on this forum - You (Sound Engineer), Simon (DJ) and Arthur (Welder/Plater) :)

Here's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udF_02S79fE) the sort of thing I would be undertaking if I wanted to extend Wi-Fi over a distance.

As it stands I have another router in my workshop which has the DD-Wrt firmware on it which I use as a WiFi bridge - just picks up the original signal from my No1 router in the house and re-broadcasts it, same log in details and ID (SSID) as the main router so people dont have problems moving between the different signals - seamless :)

Justin
03-08-2014, 05:01 PM
many thanks for the info guys, lots of reading to do :-)

I found this which looked interesting http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MILE-Long-Range-Outdoor-Indoor-WIFI-Repeater-Bridge-Extender-Router-Expander-/360471510612
but at these prices I might well be better looking at a phone line and broadband connection! lol. Not so much fun though ;-)

The chap doesn't seem in a rush to get the unit cleared and ready to rent which is a shame as it's perfect so I'm looking at other options......internet won't be a problem either.

pisquee
04-08-2014, 10:09 AM
That gadget does look interesting Justin - do you need one at each end of the connection, or is everything in the kit all you need?
Also, what's the legalities for the UK in terms of using a transmitter of that strength in that freq band?

DS Designs
04-08-2014, 12:02 PM
And I'm an A class licenced radio amateur lol.....forgot most of the theory though to be honest, but yes, a Yagi antenna may be the best idea being directional

NikGrey
04-08-2014, 01:52 PM
According to the FCC rules (http://www.air802.com/files/FCC-Rules-and-Regulations.pdf) this exceeds our permitted ERP (Effective radiated power) as it has a 20dbi (gain) antenna.
The unit has a power of 1000mW (1 watt) - we are allowed 4 watts but the gain of the antenna (every 6db doubles the radiated power) will push the radiated power WELL above our allowed 4 watts.

I'm a 2EO at the moment (so went through all of the theory for that test) am hoping to take my 'M' class at the end of this year but to be honest I dont think I will have the time as it is a full weeks course.

2EO NGR

logobear
05-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Have you looked on instructables? - I can recall seeing many diy dish based range extenders