PDA

View Full Version : Frames

Kaz
20-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Hi guys

While on holiday, I bought myself a nice tryptic canvas set for the living room, but not sure where is the best place to buy a frame for it.

I need 3 frames each measuring 120x30x4cm.

Any ideas would be greatfully appreciated, I frazzled my brain on holiday and can't think where to look :lol:

smartarts
20-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi Kaz,
Unfortunately 120 x 30cm is not a standard readymade size for a frame, the only places you will get them would be from a bespoke framers. There are plenty out there but I would advise getting some quotes, every moulding is a different price and like in every profession some are more expensive than others.

Kaz
20-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks Alan, looks like a trip to B&Q is in order, and I'll knock them up myself :lol:

smartarts
21-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Kaz,
They don't come cheaper than that, you might want to check out if any of your local framers will sell you moulding as we do. If you don't ask them then the answer is no! anyway, it could give you a better choice of styles.
Best of luck,

Kaz
21-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi Alan

Thanks for that.

It's a wrap-a-round canvas, so what the frame looks like doesn't matter really as it won't be seen.

My mate's a joiner, will get him to knock something together for me, he'll do it quicker than me :lol:

Kaz

smartarts
21-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi Kaz,
What you want it not called a frame in the framing world, you mean stretcher bars. You can buy them from any good art shop, or as you have rightly said get a mate to make one using either 2 by 1 or 2 by 2 dressed timber. One thing to watch for especially if the canvas is bought abroad is the quality, when you stretch your piece beware as pulling to tight could tear it. Also getting it straight on the stretchers could be a problem if it hasn't been painted on stretchers to start with.
Best of luck with it,
Alan

Kaz
21-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Ah, stretcher bars, cheers Alan

It was painted while on stretcher bars/frame, so shouldn't be a problem to put back on again :?

daviddeer
03-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi, I do picture framing, if you haven't sorted them out by now I can stretch and frame them at cost for you. PM me if you are still interested.
-David

fredster
03-09-2010, 11:16 PM
i use ikea picture frames as they do a great big chunky frame..
goto any picture framers and get a decent matching mount and you get a great looking cheap alternative to professional frames .... although the real deal is better if u can afford it :D :D

Kaz
04-09-2010, 12:07 PM
The problem I have is the size of the canvas to be stretched :(

Really need to do something about getting these frames made, else we'll be on holiday again and I'll be buying more pictures :lol:

daviddeer
05-09-2010, 12:01 AM
If you have enough canvas around the edge you could opt for a gallery wrap. In which case you would only need some 2" x 1" which you get someone to cut to size and join. Sand this well before stretching.
When you stretch enough good tension by getting some canvas stretching pliers from an art shop. You will also need a powerful staple gun (not a stapler) to fix the canvas to the frame. Start by lining up the canvas and inserting a loose removable staple at each end. Start in the middle of one side and using the pliers gently apply tension and staple. Work your way along the edge. Leave about 4" at each end for the corner fold. Turn the canvas and do the opposite side applying more tension to stretch the canvas tight. Remove the end staples. The ends should be folded prior to stapling. Work your way along the ends as with the sides and fold the corner before inserting the final staples. The hardest bit is getting neat corner. If you google gallery wrap you should find a tutorial on corner folding a decent video of stretching a canvas is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTdoPiQElQg&feature=fvw). It's a bit amateur but shows the basic principle. Gallery wraps do sag and wrinkle over time and cannot be restretched easily.
To frame the canvas properly you need bespoke stretcher bars, these are around £20 a set with wedges. The use of these allows you to correct sagging and distortion of the canvas over time. When you use these you will need a frame. You can make one out of plain wood. Fill the joints, sand, paint with acrylics, airbrush or varnish and polish. If you opt to join use good quality wood glue or biscuit joint the corners. Use a plain right angle join as mitred joints are very hard to square and get a good finish. Clamp the frame after glueing to prevent warping and the glue not bonding the frame. leave to cure for 48 hours. Use good quality stopper to fill and sand with medium and then fine paper to produce a smooth finish. If you don't the varnish or paint will show all the tiny flaws and detract from the painting. Create an inner rebate to the depth of the stretcher bars and use swivels to hold the picture in place.
If you are unlucky the print will be chinese and on polyester canvas. This is like stretching a plastic table mat. I would then suggest you PVA glue it to MDF and then try to make a frame. Create a rebate along the inner edge to accommodate the depth of the MDF and drop it in. Screw or staple it to the frame. Over time it will warp and twist and eventually disintegrate. But they are so cheap you can get another one for about a tenner (£2.50 trade).

i use ikea picture frames
Ikea, morrisons, wilkinsons, hobbycraft frames are standard sizes. They are not designed to last and cannot be adjusted to suit as the use MDF and composite materials in their construction. MDF also attracts moisture and the dust is hazardous. Composite materials are prone to warping and the frame coming apart at the corners. The chemicals in the glues attacks the canvas and it will spot and deteriorate over time.

goto any picture framers and get a decent matching mount
I have never really used mountboard on a stretched canvas so I cannot comment on that. I would assume it would stick to the varnish in a similar way to the frame. Although on chinese prints it wouldn't mater much. You would need a glass or plastic cover to prevent the mountboard getting dirty.
I wish you the very best of luck, it took me 12 months to get stretching right and I am still learning (now in my 8th year). Most of the artwork I frame is 36" x 42" mostly giclée canvasses and originals. Frames vary from 2.5" to 4" in width and 2-3" in height. All I can say is If you value the artwork get it professionally framed. It's a shame your so far away I could have done it for you or let you have a go in my workshop.

Kaz
05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Crikey David, you've made it sound really complicated :shock:

Will send it in somewhere to get it done, much easier :lol:

fredster
05-09-2010, 01:55 PM
david... i use the frames mentioned on photographs.Never tried it on canvas to be honest but i use these as i regularly change what photographs i DO have on my walls ...which is why i use the cheaper frames ...im not someone that will have the same artwork around for years as i get bored with it... lol

mdf does suck up moisture youre right but by the time its gone bad im usually fed up with it anyway and teh frame gets changed..you can imagine the costs involved if i changed pro frames regularly 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

i was simply trying to offer a cheap alternative