PDA

View Full Version : Light source argggghhhh!

JMugs
06-08-2014, 09:08 PM
My studio has no natural light, and this can be a problem. I have full spectrum bulbs in the studio, but.... on a certain commercial print I do which is mainly coffee brown it always looks quite green, take it out to daylight and it's the right colour.
The light given off is best described as being like the HID lights of cars, if you look at it you can see it is really white with blue.
So anybody else have this sort of problem with no natural light? How have you overcome it?

Janners

Justin
06-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Funnily enough in looking at moving into a larger office unit. The one I'll probably go for has a huge skylight but no end window..... The much larger unit I really wanted has no external window which I think it's a deal breaker. Interesting to see how this thread goes forward :-)

JMugs
06-08-2014, 09:50 PM
I can change light sources and completely change the perception of colours, huge skylight is a real gift. No natural light will be a problem.

GoonerGary
06-08-2014, 10:43 PM
Why do you need to view it in daylight? Abobe RGB colour space or your custom profile and print!

JMugs
06-08-2014, 11:28 PM
The finished article!
Have you ever had a print going to a range of ceramic items where all the ceramics are the same shade of white? I haven't! I have to use different suppliers because one supplier does not supply the whole range, where the coatings are also different, colour profile.....so how do I do that on mugs, steins, vases and bowls... sure would love to.

Yes I do profile but the above items.....please do tell me how...profile on flat items no problems.

Just to round off why do I need daylight....because I like to check my goods are of a high standard.

I shall now get off my soapbox before I get a nosebleed.
Light source?

Janners

JMugs
06-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Hmm just read that and it sounds really grumpy....oh well...now where is my wine...

pisquee
07-08-2014, 12:50 AM
I prefer to do computer work in a fairly dark room - with consistent light, rather than daylight which is anything but consistent.
In terms of printed works, then yes, daylight is key.

I've not bothered trying to profile a mug, just use white aluminium sheets, but we only use one type of mug which is custom made and bought in from Thailand, so always the same supply thankfully.

JMugs
07-08-2014, 02:40 AM
Hi Pisq totally agree on all points there.
Just one of those things with this client, individual products you would never notice the variations, but next to each other I see the differences.

Janners

GoonerGary
07-08-2014, 01:53 PM
I think trying to tweak each image to look the same on different products is almost an impossible task. Trying to find an accurate daylight bulb is probably another impossible task. As mentioned above, daylight changes colour temperature throughout the day, so which one is accurate? Nobody only checks their prints in noon daylight after-all. You could use normal tungsten bulbs and a Wratten lighting gel to correct the colour so that might give you another option if the bulbs are not working out.

We have two Emma Bridgewater biscuit tins in our kitchen with the same design, one is cream and the other closer to white, yeah it bothers me slightly. but I can live with it!

JMugs
07-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Hi Gooner
You are correct, it is the pedant in me that rises to the surface sometimes. A glass of wine followed by a night's sleep has brought back my normal manner.
It is interesting that the full spectrum bulbs cause the greatest problems. My advice to anybody is to avoid them, they are too blue / purple.

I have had a play with the camera as well and the full spectrum bulbs cause all sorts of random colour casts......see I had to investigate!

I do like the full spectrum bulbs for every day working SO LONG as it doesn't involve colour!

Janners

GoonerGary
07-08-2014, 03:06 PM
I don't why I don't do more beer drinking whilst working, I mean who's going to sack me?

pisquee
07-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Red wine for me - though more careful than I used to be, as one night I spilt a whole big glass full over the laptop we did everything on (all artwork/designing and accounts) thankfully it survived (good old Dell Precision worstation!) and I went out and bought big NAS drive next day! ... we now have much more up to date desktop and some bigger NAS drives!

swimwivsquid
07-08-2014, 11:47 PM
You can buy daylight colour corrected strip lights from a photographic or graphic arts supplier. Try someone like Marrutts. We used to have them in the lab when we were colour printing so that colour was judged with a constant lightsource.
Daylight itself varies during the day but generally set at 5600degrees Kelvin as a standard. Just check out a good industrial supplier of bulbs they are available.

JMugs
09-08-2014, 11:19 AM
I need to do some more research, I have full spectrum bulbs, but are these the same as daylight colour correct?...Google

JMugs
09-08-2014, 11:29 AM
I knew I would find a reason somewhere that made sense!
If you remember I said the full spectrum bulbs were bluish in their light output... well after a lot of reading and then the penny dropping I have this...

A colour shift for some browns to green does't take much at all, as browns are actually just dark yellows. So what? Well what happens if you add blue to yellow? Yes you get green. One of the areas that the human eye is very sensitive to is yellow / green shifts. So take a brown printed image add blue light and you may (depending on the shade of brown go) go green.

Simple really!