PDA

View Full Version : Moving Forward

Justin
25-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Just thought it was time for a quick update.

The forum still seems to be growing in forum members at a regular speed, thank you all for your support. ;)

We've had a few minor issues recently with regards to stability. These have been down to problems with our host provider. They've been working hard to rectify these problems and as a result things seem a lot more stable.
I'm still looking at setting up with another host to ensure that we get as little down time as possible and things run as quickly and smoothly as possible. If you have any suggestions for host providers please let me know. Most recently I've been looking at a few, Web Hosting UK and 1&1 look like possible providers but will incur larger, more regular costs (Not something I'd averse to though)

I still welcome any and all feedback you have and in particular any new features/sections/ideas that you have to help to keep the forum fresh and inviting.

Thank you all again for your support which has helped this forum grow and become a great reference point for anyone involved with sublimation :D

jennywren
25-07-2010, 04:41 PM
we are moving our website and I thought hosting uk look like the best, but we are moving a host that my husband pick. he pick them because the are local and our present host is in USA and they are dire. Can't talk to them by phone emails are far and few in between.

Justin
25-07-2010, 05:05 PM
It would be good to get 24/7 support, live chat. Not many offer this. I've looked at a couple who give the appearance of being UK based but it quickly becomes apparant they're in the USA. I'd sooner stick to UK if possible. I have several other packages with 1&1 and uptime has always been excellent, never had a problem. That said, they're not cheap and support can be slow and often unhelpful in the first instance.

Paul
25-07-2010, 06:41 PM
if we moving forward I think this is a time to think about administration on forum. what do you think???

Justin
25-07-2010, 06:42 PM
In what way Paul?

accdave
25-07-2010, 06:51 PM
if we moving forward I think this is a time to think about administration on forum. what do you think???

Seems fine to me.

Paul
25-07-2010, 06:54 PM
you the admin :)
couple of mods and some one who will be responsible for some sections.
let say: member X can have full control in member to memeber offers, buy it sel it... etc. when member Y will be responsible for other couple of sections etc...
that way we become democratic :) we can have a chat about changes etc... I understand feedback work well but is not enough as loads of people cant be botheret with posting them.

Justin
25-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Not sure we're at the stage where we need individual mods for each section. I'm pretty happy with the set-up at the moment as the number of threads isn't difficult to check between us. It might be useful to have another mod, maybe two.

One problem is that whilst we have 256 members (currently!) a very small percentage actually take part in any discussions, many just use the forum as a reference and are 'watchers'. As well as this there are a good number of folk that use the forum without even ever becoming a member.

Maybe it's time to introduce a rules section but we certainly need to thrash a few things around.

accdave
25-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Not sure we're at the stage where we need individual mods for each section. I'm pretty happy with the set-up at the moment as the number of threads isn't difficult to check between us. It might be useful to have another mod, maybe two.

I would agree with that. I guess the only time you need an extra mod is when there is spam posted and you aren't around for a few hours etc. Luckily we don't get much spam on here yet.

Obviously there is a good deal of background work done by yourself which we don't see but all in all the common sense, courtesy and respect shown from those who post make it an easy forum to mod so far. Long may it continue :D

Justin
25-07-2010, 07:10 PM
I would like to find ways to encourage more active members. Maybe an advert or article in the Printware magazine? Maybe advertising or a stand at the Printwear show? Just thinking aloud. I do feel there's a massive community of users out there that need to know about us.

Paul
25-07-2010, 07:12 PM
I know what you say but would be nice if there is more then one person who can make any decisions. as I said. it would be nice to have a chat with few people in administration of the forum and discust forum future. I mean people who almast every day on forum and got something to say. I am not talking about those who only "watch forum". democratic way...

but if there is any one on here who thinks this is bad idea lets leave it as it is :) this is only proposition ;) :twisted:

Kaz
25-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I use justhost for my website (which I'm getting nowhere fast with due to time constraints and being a numpty :lol:) and I believe they also have forum hosting capabilities.

AFAIK they are US based, but when I was getting started, I had no end of problems, nothing to do with them may I add, and I had emails replied to within minutes, and even got a telephone call from them as I couldn't get my head round the email :oops: :lol:

I also used to belong to another phpBB forum, and it was a total nightmare, going down on a daily basis, and the support from them was terrible :(

I like the way this forum is run, everyone is helpful and imparts their knowledge without hesitation, adn I've learned soooo much from here since I joined, and for that, I thank you all :D

Paul
25-07-2010, 07:34 PM
I would like to find ways to encourage more active members. Maybe an advert or article in the Printware magazine? Maybe advertising or a stand at the Printwear show? Just thinking aloud. I do feel there's a massive community of users out there that need to know about us.
good idea justin! ;) but would printware magazine interested with us? worth to ask :)
so when you get your interview sorted dont forget to mention about us ;)
lol

again... good idea... I am sure there is more who making this market :)

Andrew
25-07-2010, 07:52 PM
I use a good UK host for my websites. The owner is active on various business forums so plenty of feedback on them and you get to know the individuals you deal with.

Paul - you got any specific changes in mind? Can't think of much to change right now myself. Would have been good if we could have got the mailing list from the PPP but Kevin turned out to be bit of a sh1t in the end. Perhaps a special offers for Members with 25 posts or more to increase footfall.

Do member offers actually work? Might be worth getting some feedback from suppliers that have posted.

Paul
25-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Perhaps a special offers for Members with 25 posts or more to increase footfall.

very good idea ;)

Justin
25-07-2010, 08:21 PM
I use a good UK host for my websites. The owner is active on various business forums so plenty of feedback on them and you get to know the individuals you deal with.

Paul - you got any specific changes in mind? Can't think of much to change right now myself. Would have been good if we could have got the mailing list from the PPP but Kevin turned out to be bit of a sh1t in the end. Perhaps a special offers for Members with 25 posts or more to increase footfall.

Do member offers actually work? Might be worth getting some feedback from suppliers that have posted.

Be useful to know the host Andrew if you could PM me?

I do like the idea of having a minimum number of posts. As other have said before, why should a non-posting member get the same discount as someone who puts a great deal of effort into helping others? It would have been good to get the PPP mailing list but as you say this didn't happen. It would have helped the industry by giving these members somewhere else to go but obv. the owners of the PPP aren't that bothered about their members or the industry.

Agree, good to get some supplier input here.

Justin
25-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Would it be a good idea to have a directory so that all members can list what type of work they do and offer their services to other members?

Kaz
25-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Won't do any harm Justin

Andrew
25-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Listings, backlinks etc all would be off benefit to members. You could have different levels of when you get what. 25 post listing/100 listing with link added/ 250 showpiece article or whatever. Anything to encourage active use. The active members are the one's who will make the forum grow so encouragement should be shown to push it that way. Well atleast that is what I think anyway.

pressfx
26-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I would think doing the post limit thing will either make people just walk away or post utter shite just to get there count up? Might be wrong, I have been before lol :lol:

Andrew
26-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Some forums don't give post counts for the Introduction area where people can boost their post with a quick "Hi". As long as it is subli talk they can talk sh1te.......... most of us do. ;)

pressfx
26-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I noticed ;)
(just working on my count) :lol:

Louise
26-07-2010, 09:19 PM
I dont know a lot about hosting, but for 7 years Ive been with CJ-hosting and although they are US Company they have an office here in the uk, they have been golden to me and Ive never had a days trouble with them. If I email then they get right back to me even when I had a problem at 11pm (which was all me in the end :roll: ).

As for post counts, a lot of forums for business I post on have a limit that you must reach before you can post your link, just so you dont drop a post with a link and run I guess, but it works well. The idea of the directory and certain post limits before you get a link ect sounds a good idea too.

The stand at printwear may be good, nothing ventured and all that, hey we could all spare a hour or two for free to man it and shout the benefits 8-)

bms
27-07-2010, 07:56 PM
new features/sections/ideas
One aspect I would find useful is the ability to tag a thread (or add it in a watchlist some thing like on Ebay). Sooooo many times I've read a thread, gone onto something else and then forgotten where that thread was or wished I had tagged/ bookmarked a thread so I could visit it again at a later date. I know I could create a bookmark to the thread and perhaps that's what I should do, but it would be useful to have a list of "interested threads" to come back to. Saves on searching for "x" or asking other members if they remember where a thread is!

Justin
27-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Can you not do this through subscriptions in your Control Panel Martin? Is that what you mean?

bms
27-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Ahhhh I see a "subscribe" link at the foot of the thread - that'll do. Gosh you add these features quick :lol:
Now all I have to do is find those threads again...

Justin
27-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Lol. If you start or reply to a thread you're automatically subscribed, otherwise yes you can manually subscribe ;)

Ian M
27-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Justin,

I could do with a spill chucker.......... :D

Just kidding mate.

Love the forum it is brilliant with lots of really nice people giving lots of help & useful advice.

How do you improve on near perfection?

Ian

Justin
27-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks for that Ian, much appreciated.....or should that be aprecciatted? lol....Spell checker may be possible, I'm looking into it ;)

accdave
27-07-2010, 11:16 PM
How do you improve on near perfection?

Ian

Sorry Ian, too busy polishing my halo to give you my life story :D :D :D

Ian M
28-07-2010, 02:22 AM
I like that one Dave :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jennywren
19-08-2010, 12:14 AM
I would love a spell checker then maybe I could go to bed earlier because my spelling is poor. :oops: Please, please, pretty please a spell checker

Ian M
19-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Jenny, don't worry as my tryping can be pretty bad at times.

You could always do what I do at times & that is type it out in word first then copy & paste it. I use it sometimes if I have a very long email to send.

Ian :D

Paul
19-08-2010, 07:43 PM
in my case even spell cheker would not help lol :) bloody foreighner I am... lol :P

Ian M
19-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Paul,

Don't you ever change mate as that has made me really laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your a star in my book & someone who comes from the country where they have green banana juice can't be all bad. By the way I love green banana juice :)

Ian ;)

Justin
19-08-2010, 09:07 PM
in my case even spell cheker would not help lol :) bloody foreighner I am... lol :P

Foreigner! It's foreigner! :lol: I'm really not worried about the speling on tha boord....sorry :oops: but I think a spell checker can be installed, will take a little bit of background work but I'll take a look to see if it's any good ;)

Whispered Spirit
19-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Ya can Tell Ian drinks that 'Green Banana juice' Just look at what its done to him! :lol:

Ian M
19-08-2010, 09:28 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Whispy

Paul
20-08-2010, 04:46 PM
whats the green bannana juice then?? :) I dont get that one :(

Ian M
20-08-2010, 05:06 PM
They sell it in Poland

Paul
20-08-2010, 05:31 PM
R they really??? R u sure your one was fresh one??? :twisted: :lol:

Ian M
20-08-2010, 08:08 PM
R they really??? R u sure your one was fresh one??? :twisted: :lol:

Paul,

I think it was a fresh one as I'm still alive :lol: I've bought some more today so, if you don't hear from me then that wasn't the fresh one mate :lol: I might look like this soon :mrgreen:

When Morrisons started selling Polish food they put a big sign up above it saying 'Polish' they had to take it down as people were looking for cleaning products :lol:

Ian

Paul
20-08-2010, 08:12 PM
they had to take it down as people were looking for cleaning products :lol:

:o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: