PDA

View Full Version : Mug printing problems

daxus
26-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi i have been sublimination mugs a while now but ive been getting a lot of problems in my printing
the problem that keeps re occuring is the bottom of the mugs in the corners and sometimes acrross the centre is coming out dotty when removing the paper you can still see small amounts of ink darker then the faded image left in the areas
I have tryed changing the tempreture the pressure where i place the tape and im still getting problems as it never happens at the top of the mug i guess it might be a pressure problem and it doesnt happen on every mug but i do notice some of the mugs are different thicknesses im printing at 220 seconds and the heat press automaticly has the tempreture set i even tryed loosening the mug today cause it looked almost if i had too much pressure i know its not the inks as i have printed great mugs and usually therest of the mug is perfect i havnt placed a second piece of paper around the out side of the image i know some people do this any advice would be great :D

bms
26-07-2010, 07:28 PM
The darker ink you refer to sounds like it hasn't transferred off the paper. It would be worthwhile putting a straight edge across the face of the mug (from top to bottom) and see if the faded image corresponds with an indentation or bevel in the mug face

daxus
26-07-2010, 07:42 PM
i definatley think its not coming off the paper are you meaning the mug could be more curved? i tryed it on some smaller mugs and had better results unfortunatley these were alot more expensive and it didnt entirly cure the problem

Andrew
26-07-2010, 09:10 PM
I would reduce the time down 160/180 secs for starters to see if that helps at all....... if you haven't already tried that. Sounds a bit like mottling that can appear from to much heat. It can happen on the lower part of the mug as the base can hold the heat. Other than that, photos would help.

daxus
26-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Hi ive enclosed two pics of a articularly bad mug my cameras finding it hard to pick upthe detail so its not clear ihave tryed raising the image up higher this didnt help before i posted these pics i tryed a mug reducing the temp to 180 as sugested at 180 all of the base was dotty so i turned the mug around and reheated it for another 50 seconds this gave me a near pewrfect image a tiny bit blurry where i guess i had re applyed the image a little off im thinking about trying a mug 110 one way up and the 110 the other ? any advice would be great im pulling my hair out and think i have wasted so many mugs

daxus
26-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Might help if i gave you the pics :D

bms
26-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Might be the camera angle, but on the mug with the missing image at the bottom - looks like it is bevelled. I would increase the pressure on the mug press so that the blanket forms a little around the top and base of the mug. You should feel some resistance when you close the clamp on the mug press to ensure it is tightly held.

Andrew
27-07-2010, 12:38 AM
It does look like the mug is slightly barrel shaped and the heat is not getting to that area. Where are the mugs from? Have you checked them with a straight edge?

AJLA
27-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I have in the past experienced major probs with a lot of waste. It does appear that your mugs are not straight, unfortunately with my press even with added pressure this did not do the trick. Putting two mugs together touching side by side you could see more than daylight through!

The only way I could use these mugs was by reducing the image size so that it does not go any where near the bottom or top edge.

Use them all up then get yourself down to BMS and get some decent ones. Never had a problem with them and i'll stick with them.

Having said that I am sure thet with thousands of mugs being produced not all can go through quality control so i'm sure many companies will occasionally be unfortunate enough to experience some quality control issues..

daxus
27-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks i hyave to say i noticed an improvement when i ordered better mugs less airbubbles marks ect and the print was alot better the problem i guess is trying to be competitive on my large orders of 100s of mugs but i guess thats why these were cheaper mugs thanks for all the advice guys :D

Ian M
27-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi Cerri,

I think we have all learnt the hard way by thinking we had bought a bargain. I was using someone time after time for my mugs & the mugs were really good each & every time. I bought some off him a couple of weeks ago to find a load of rubbish. I left him a message & he has never got back to me so, I've taken my business elsewhere now.

I think the one lesson we all learn very quickly is that we can't skimp on quality & if that means we have to pay a few pence more per item then it's worth it.

Hope all goes well for you from now on.

Ian :D

daxus
27-07-2010, 03:22 PM
yes i agree this batch wasnt off ebay but i have brought them there with companys saying they are perfect and they have so many faults in i end up not using them im already planning my next order of mugs ill go for a big batch from a good company i think thanks for all the replys and advice i have definatley learnt a few things