PDA

View Full Version : 'nother mug query....

leethesign
27-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Here's a funny (odd) one....

I just pressed a frosted glass mug - very nice too Martin - and when I removed the tranfer paper there seemed to be just as much ink on it as when I applied it to the mug and the image was faint.

Would this more likely be a pressure or a heat issue?

The snag with my cheapy mug press is there's no thermostat - the longer you press a mug, the hotter it gets. Normally I give a standard 11oz white mug 190 seconds and the results are usually fine, but not this time.

Mmmmm?.................

Any comments (other than buy a better mug press tightwad!) :D

John G
27-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Is there no dial/readout to set the required temp?

leethesign
27-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Nah.......I'm just looking at it top see if I can fit a stat.....I've got it in bits t the moment and am just
trying to work out where to glue the thermostat. I reckon a standard "Break on rise" oven type stat will do the job.

Anyway, I've nothing better to do at the moment ! Could be fun.

bms
27-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Glass is a poor conductor of heat so the faintness would be duration of press related rather than pressure. I would increase time by a further 1 minute to 1 min 30 seconds. Just make sure the glass is warmed thoroughly as too much heat too quickly can cause the to crack. Use the same glass mug again and over print this time with a lot longer time. As you've already wasted that mug you might as well make it colourful now (albeit not a clear image!).

leethesign
27-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks again oh wise one......