PDA

View Full Version : Cameo - Oki C711WT - Magic Touch OBM & TTC

Gygafo
11-10-2014, 05:29 PM
After trawling forums for the past three cups of tea and numerous searches I cant seem to find an answer to my little problem. Maybe someone knows of a thread that may answer this and be kind enough to point me in the right direction. Or you may know the answer right off the top of your head.

I have just inherited for free, a "used once" Silhouette Cameo which is brilliant and has got me hooked on vinyl transfer. However, I also want to cut around images that are printed using TMT's OBM and TTC media which I print to using the Oki C711WT printer. This printer, being a white toner, needs to output via TMT's Space Control driver software and depending on media type the white toner can be turned on or off.

I cant see a way that the Cameo Studio software and reg marks can be saved to an image file and imported or opened in the Space Control or PhotoShop. If I were to print from Cameo Studio it goes via the normal Oki colour printer driver and obviously prints white where you dont want it. I dont think this would be a problem if the printer was the normal CMYK colour type.

I have tried setting up a template in PhotoShop with reg marks and overlaying it onto an image and then saving and opening the image into Cameo Studio, line up the reg marks etc... but it doesnt seem to want to play and I just get an error registering message. I tried reloading and making sure it's straight but no luck

Apart from a few brain cells am I missing anything else here? Can anyone help please?

Many Thanks
Cheers!
Nigel.

Paul
11-10-2014, 10:12 PM
you could instal pdf printer to do that. this is the first one that pop out but you could try others too:L http://download.cnet.com/Print-to-PDF/3000-10743_4-75945959.html

this way you will be able to save anything to pdf and open it in other software. hope this is what you need.
Paul

Gygafo
12-10-2014, 11:27 AM
you could instal pdf printer to do that. this is the first one that pop out but you could try others too:L http://download.cnet.com/Print-to-PDF/3000-10743_4-75945959.html

this way you will be able to save anything to pdf and open it in other software. hope this is what you need.
Paul

Hi Paul,
Thank you very much for that, I'll give it a try.

Cheers!
Nigel.

Gygafo
12-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Cracked it! I couldnt quite acomplish what I wanted with Print to PDF ao I sat down with a vernier scale and measured the registration marks as printed from the Cameo and re-created them exactly in PhotoShop. The marks are not all equal distance from the edge of the paper on all sides and the square reg mark at the top left of the page needs to be the right size in order to prevent reg errors.

Wow, what a fantastic piece of kit.

Cheers!
Nigel.

Gygafo
12-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Cracked it! I couldnt quite acomplish what I wanted with Print to PDF ao I sat down with a vernier scale and measured the registration marks as printed from the Cameo and re-created them exactly in PhotoShop. The marks are not all equal distance from the edge of the paper on all sides and the square reg mark at the top left of the page needs to be the right size in order to prevent reg errors.

Wow, what a fantastic piece of kit.

AAARRRRRGGGGH! Spoke too soon. Works great on A4 paper printed on my canon Pixma PRO-1 but the Space Control driver for the CW711WT shrinks the image by a good half inch which shifts the registration marks... Oh Bugger! :(

Cheers
Nigel.

Skye
12-10-2014, 04:40 PM
If I were to print from Cameo Studio it goes via the normal Oki colour printer driver and obviously prints white where you dont want it.

Hi Nigel,

The OKI C711WT driver has the 'white on'/'white off' option. Is this option not available when using the Cameo?

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2997&stc=1
Would be interested to know as I've been thinking about buying the C711WT.
Thanks

Karen

cleverprintinguk
12-10-2014, 05:02 PM
HI Nigel- We have the exact same problem. Running a 711 but can't put through the cutter. Spoke to TMT and apparently it's extremely difficult to do- To this day we still cannot do it. We wanted to offer custom shape window stickers but sadly can't due to the limitations of the space control making the image shorter and not printing through the cameo cutting software.

By the way, why would you want to cut out TTC? Isn't this the white / light t-shirt media?

I spoke to xpres. If we had got the 711 from them, it wouldn't be a problem to print and cut from the cameo software as with xpres you do not cut from another external software such as space control.

If you get a fix, let us know as i would love to do cut aswell.

Sorry i couldn't have been any help!!

Tom

Gygafo
12-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Hi and thanks for the replies, this is for Skye but I have some good news for Tom.

Hi Skye, yes there is the option and I don't know how I missed it, was probably looking too hard. However, there is a need to pass the print through Space Control for the use of different media as they have different heat and colour settings that aren't available via the standard printer driver and I want to have the ability to cut different media.

Tom,do you have a copy of PhotoShop? I can email a copy of the Reg mark template PSD or other formats if anyone wants it, PM me with your email address.

This is actually simpler than what it sounds. Here's what I did to get around TMT's Space control. I opened my registration mark template (A4) and inserted the image I want to cut around. If you open Space Control and go to File, Print Margins, you will see that these are set at a minimum and in portrait mode rob 4.57 + 4.57 = 9.14mm from either side of the page and 4.57 + 4.61 = 9.18mm from the top and bottom of the page. Now, back to PhotoShop and open a blank A4 page and go to Image, Canvas Size (change the measure to mm) and in Width type -9.14 and in Height type -9.18 and click ok, a box will pop up regarding smaller size and clipping, just click proceed. Go back to your normal A4 PhotoShop image and remove the Eye from the Background layer. Hold down the Ctrl key and click on the individual layers to highlight them, now right click on any of the highlighted layers and choose Merge Layers. This will leave you with 2 layers, your image with registration marks and a turned off Background layer. Use the left mouse button and click and hold any part of the image on the page and drag it to the tab at the top of the edit space and hover over the tab where you created the slightly smaller Canvas. This will then change to the smaller canvas page and you can drop the image. DO NOT RE-SIZE ANYTHING. Using the Ctrl key again just highlight the image layer and the background layer and use the Align tools at the very top of the edit window to Center Horizontal and the Center Vertical. Once you have done this turn the Background Layer off and select File, Save As, and save your image as a PNG so there is no background. Print via Space Control.

Now... Back to the first normal A4 size image that you started with in PhotoShop. DO NOT MOVE OR RE-SIZE ANYTHING! You need to create a mask image for the Cameo to cut around so with the mouse just highlight the image layer.Use the right mouse button on the Highlighted layer and from the top of the fly-out menu choose Blending Options. A layer style box will appear and down the left hand side there is an option for Colour Overlay. Tick and highlight the box and make sure the Blend Mode is set to Normal and the colour you choose is black (click the little coloured box on the right). Click ok and your image should be a black silhouette with a clear background. Save this image as a PNG as above but name it appropriately.

Open Cameo Studio and the A4 mask image. Go to the registration mark page, leave the dimensions alone but move all four position sliders to the extreme left so that the registration marks line up with those of the image.You can then select the trace area and trace outer edge. Tip: use the High Pass filter to colour the whole image yellow before choosing trace outer edge. Go to the cutter settings and choose Cut Edge. Set the media type and blade cutting number, you may need to experiment. Put your TTC/OBM image onto the cutting mat and insert into the cutter and in the software click send to Silhouette. The cutter should then look for the registration marks and start cutting.

I'm getting great results with the OBM and it works every time. Also, because the paper side is stuck onto the cutting mat it weeds off really easy and removing the transfer is a real breeze.

This is early days and if I improve the process I'll let you know. Ive attached (I hope) a picture of a OBM transfer. It's still attached to the paper so there is a little white around the edge but perfect when peeled ready to apply.

Cheers!Nigel.http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2999&stc=1

Skye
12-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the explanation Nigel. Glad you've found a solution.

Karen

Gygafo
12-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the explanation Nigel. Glad you've found a solution.

Karen

Hi Karen,
It was a challenge but I got there in the end. I love my C711WT but I'm still thinking of investing in a normal colour Oki so I can get those nice rich blacks. The C711WT is a bit crud with dark images but what a bonus having WoW media and white toner!

Cheers!
Nigel.

Ask_Alan
17-10-2014, 01:33 PM
There is a simpler solution ;)
SpaceControl Utility menu - turn driver ON
C711WT driver - turn off print white - you may as well leave this as a default and check that mirror is OFF
Run OBM5.3 as Ultra Heavy 3 (will do)
Print from the silhouette software

This will work. When you need white control turn off the driver in the SpaceControl utility menu and use space control again.

;)
alan

Gygafo
17-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi Alan,
I'll remember that for future but at the moment i'm getting fantastic results using my templates in Photoshop and running the images through Space Control. I now have templates for OBM and a reverse reg mark template for TTC (right way around in Space Control). Both work perfect every time and as I'm an old hand with Photoshop I find them a doddle to use.

Cheers Buddy!
Nigel.

Skifle
13-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Hi all, found this thread via Google. I'm also trying to print from silhouette via my OKI white toner printer. Is it possible to have the registration mark Template sent to me please?

KathG
13-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Hi, I don't have this printer but do have a Cameo. Have you seen the Pix Scan mat for the Cameo. This mat comes with the registration marks already printed on. So you can use any pictur printed on any printer. What you have to do is after you have put your printed image on the the PixScan mat you can either Scan it or take a photo of it to open in the Studio Design software. Once in there you you create your contour line around the image using the trace function. Then you would cut the design like normal on the PixScan mat. Here is a link to the mat. http://www.yolo.co.uk/silhouette-pixscan-cutting-mats--carrier-sheets-3442-p.asp

KathG
13-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Just wanted to add with this mat you don't have to print through the Silhouette Studio software.

Gygafo
15-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Hi all, found this thread via Google. I'm also trying to print from silhouette via my OKI white toner printer. Is it possible to have the registration mark Template sent to me please?

Hi Skifle,
Unfortunately I don't use or have the templates any more as I print direct from the Cameo with registration marks straight to the Oki. It was taking too long and to be honest it could on occasion be a bit hit and miss so I tried what Alan suggested in the post above and it worked a treat. You just have to get your images right in Photo Shop first.

I needed to go the direct route as I have a customer that wanted OBM 5.3 from The Magic Touch printing and cutting with a white border around it. The same customer now wants bumper stickers (once I find a suitable media to use). I'm having some work done at home this week but if you give me a day or so I'll post a step by step guide of what I do.

Cheers!
Nigel.

Gygafo
15-02-2015, 07:44 PM
There is a simpler solution ;)
SpaceControl Utility menu - turn driver ON
C711WT driver - turn off print white - you may as well leave this as a default and check that mirror is OFF
Run OBM5.3 as Ultra Heavy 3 (will do)
Print from the silhouette software

This will work. When you need white control turn off the driver in the SpaceControl utility menu and use space control again.

;)
alan

Hi Alan,
Hope you are well?

What would be the correct (or nearest) media setting to use on TTC 3.1 A4R - would that also be Ultra Heavy 3?

Many Thanks
Cheers!
Nigel.

Skifle
15-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Hi Alan,
Hope you are well?

What would be the correct (or nearest) media setting to use on TTC 3.1 A4R - would that also be Ultra Heavy 3?

Many Thanks
Cheers!
Nigel.

I've been trying this, it just doesn't really seem to work, it keeps saying the printer is out of paper whenever I try printing from silhouette studio.

Gygafo
15-02-2015, 08:07 PM
I've been trying this, it just doesn't really seem to work, it keeps saying the printer is out of paper whenever I try printing from silhouette studio.

Have you changed the paper feed printer options from Auto to Multi-Purpose. If I leave mine on Auto it tells me that the paper tray is empty.

Also be a aware that the Cameo software can be very slow at sending the image to the printer.

Ta
Nigel.

Dave271069
15-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Hi, I don't have this printer but do have a Cameo. Have you seen the Pix Scan mat for the Cameo. This mat comes with the registration marks already printed on. So you can use any pictur printed on any printer. What you have to do is after you have put your printed image on the the PixScan mat you can either Scan it or take a photo of it to open in the Studio Design software. Once in there you you create your contour line around the image using the trace function. Then you would cut the design like normal on the PixScan mat. Here is a link to the mat. http://www.yolo.co.uk/silhouette-pixscan-cutting-mats--carrier-sheets-3442-p.asp

exactly what i thought the answer was, i use this....

Skifle
16-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Have you changed the paper feed printer options from Auto to Multi-Purpose. If I leave mine on Auto it tells me that the paper tray is empty.

Also be a aware that the Cameo software can be very slow at sending the image to the printer.

Ta
Nigel.

Eureka! It works! Strange how it didn't seem to work Friday evening though.

Gygafo
16-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Eureka! It works! Strange how it didn't seem to work Friday evening though.

Great, glad you are getting prints. I'll post my way of creating cut and print images and masks later in the week if you are interested?