PDA

View Full Version : Water Slide transfer

cleverprintinguk
12-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Morning all - Happy Sunday :)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think i'm in the wrong category!!

We're looking to up production with branding to the bottom of our mugs and to the handles(We get asked ALOT for branding to the handle, inside the rim and onto the base of the cup) We currently only print to the bottom of our sub mugs with a pad printer but isn't very durable in the dishwasher. We've been advised that if we were to kiln the mug, we'd be in for a better chance to keep that stuck on for alot longer. BUT, We could also water slide using water slide transfer paper to print onto the handle and inside the rim! Has anyone ever done/ Tried / Currently doing this at the moment?

Would love some advice!

Cheers,
Tom

socialgiraffe
12-10-2014, 01:20 PM
our sub mugs with a pad printer but isn't very durable in the dishwasher

If you do not have a kiln available then try some different inks. From my days of owning a screen printing company I seem to remember there were a couple of air drying inks that would hold for the life of the mug. Can't remember if they were Marabou or Spectrum Inks or something else!

With regards to water transfers, unless you are talking about the proper ceramic transfers then nothing is going to work. The stuff from the likes of TMT will not survive one wash let alone several. There are some digital options for water transfers (Google is your friend) but they still require finishing using the traditional screen method. You will definitely need a kiln to do this sort of thing.

Printing on the handle is possible with sublimation and an oven. Ideally you want to go the vacuum route to hold the image tight against the handle, but you can get great results simply by taping firmly in place.

One thing I do remember is that it was a royal pain in the neck!!!

Limara
13-10-2014, 05:11 PM
The water slide transfer stuff I have used with inkjet printing needs to be top coated with clear acrylic lacquer once you have it in situation if not it comes off as easy as it goes on!.
For mugs you then have the problem of finding a food safe one.

Dave271069
15-11-2014, 09:26 AM
can you not sublimate to the bottom? cant remember if this is treated or not!