PDA

View Full Version : Liyu USB driver

REDQUASAR
12-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Hi

can anyone help me? I need a driver for a Liyu SC 631E Plotter Cutter. Does anybody have one? Also, can anyone tell me if these cutters are compatible with Adobe Illustrator?

I have tried to contact the manufacturer but, so far, they haven't replied, and the general consensus is that they never do! Would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this!!

Ta

Redquasar

daviddeer
13-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Try these instructions (http://forum.ukcutter.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2) they may help. If it's usb it creates a virtual com port which you set in device manager.

REDQUASAR
13-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Try these instructions (http://forum.ukcutter.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2) they may help. If it's usb it creates a virtual com port which you set in device manager.

Hi daviddeer. Thanks for your response; much appreciated. The problem is a bit more complicated than my original post suggests. My boss purchased the plotter as part of a job lot before I actually started working for him. The purchase included a PC with the driver already installed (he didn't get any disc with it). The OS is Linux, which I've never used before. However, I've played around with it, accessed the System Profile and discovered that no proprietary drivers are actually installed on the machine. My boss is adamant that he's used the plotter before, though, so the driver must be in there somewhere. The plotter looks brand new but the PC itself is obsolete, so my idea was to get a new driver from somewhere and install it on a Windows machine and use the plotter with that.

Thanks again for your reply.

Kind regards

Mick

daviddeer
14-10-2014, 09:48 AM
The problem is that linux drivers don't work on windows. You can get the linux drivers here (http://download.ukcutter.co.uk/Drivers/Liyu/Driver%20CD/TC%28English%29/USB%20Drv/Linux/). So even if you extracted it it won't help. Most drivers are built into the kernel of linux so finding and extracting would be hard anyway. Basically the driver is only the driver for the port on the cutter, either usb or serial. Usually you send an hpgl command to the cutter from corel draw or other software and it works like a plotter simply using the knife as a pen. Took me ages to get mine to work as I installed flexisgn and signblazer and changed the com port in device manager matching it to the port in the cutting program. To this day I can't remember exactly how I did it !!

REDQUASAR
14-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Yes, I know that drivers have to be compatible with the user's operating system. The Linux machine I mentioned is very old, and because I couldn't find the driver anywhere on it, I thought it best to find a driver for a newer PC, preferably a windows based machine (partly because I own one and partly because I'm not familiar with Linux). I have, in fact, just found and installed a driver which is compatible with my OS, bearing the instructions which you very kindly provided me a link to in mind, but, yet again, the PC simply doesn't acknowledge the cutter's existence.

The artwork which I tried to cut was produced using Adobe Illustrator. Liyu's website seems to suggest the cutter has greater compatibility with CorelDRAW. I think I'll try to produce some artwork using this and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again for your help and advice, mate. It really is appreciated.